MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Janine profit from a Freecycle telly?

Comments

• kalaika
    kalaika Posts: 716 Forumite
    As others have said, I'd let the colleague have the TV for nowt, but if they insisted on paying something I'd tell them to stick the £50 to their favourite charity.

At the end of the day, I'd still be in 'profit' as I'd still have a free TV sitting in my lounge.

I guess the really important question though, is where do I find friends like this that are willing to give away HD TVs in the first place? :rolleyes:
    No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. - Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson)
  • I'd give it to my colleague at least then I'd have a clear conscience and still be keeping in with the freecycle ethos. There would be no guarantee that if I offered it on freecycle that it wouldn't end up on ebay anyway.

Or maybe take the money but offer half to the person who donated it to me in the first place.
    ( not sure if that would be breaking freecyle rules )
  • gemmaj
    gemmaj Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think she would be within the law to sell it - BUT - she felt so good to get a nice TV for free when she needed one - she should pass on that feeling and luck to someone else!

My little girls main birthday present this year is coming from a freecycle type (rip off) site - a lovely Brio playtable - and I am full of thanks to the person who gave it to me. I have given stuff away before and would like to think it goes to someone who is really pleased to have AND use whatever it is, not to think "stupid girl, she is giving this away and its worth money, I'm going to sell it!". Stick to the spirit of it!
  • WRabbit
    WRabbit Posts: 84 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I'd give it to my colleague. I'd worry about taking money for it, what if it breaks down after a week?

I got it free so I'm not out of pocket. If they haven't paid me for it then I don't feel any responibility for how long it lasts!

If I was the colleague and was given it free I'd certainly make sure a box of chocolates/bottle of wine/bunch of flowers went to the giver as a thank you.
  • Yes, take the £50 and donate it to a charity of Janine's ( or Archie's) choice. Then all parties in the transaction - (including the original donor, if they knew)- would think this is a fair outcome.
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 21 October 2009 at 11:12AM
    Give it away on Freecycle/Freegle. Selling it is the same as theft! It was given in good faith and should then be given away again. All those who are making money out of things given away on Freecycle/freegle are stealing.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Give it back or give it away and tell her friend about Freecycle- the more people know about it the better for everybody
  • Definitely give it away! My OH and I have had a few bits off freecycle and a few more bits from relatives etc and we have made our own little vow never to sell on what we have been given for free. (NB doesn't apply to unwanted presents lol!!)

If the colleague isn't a "deserving recipient", whatever that means, then I'd definitely bung it back on freecycle. Or donate to a local charity. The charity I work for would bite your hand off for a TV!
  • Personally I would pass it on to a friend freely and be happy to be in a position to do so. I'm not a huge fan of the mercenary types profiteering on freecycle. Which is why I only give to friends or someone I know that is in need.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would happily give the old TV to the work colleague for free. Their gratitude would be reward enough for me and I'd have a clear conscience!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure