Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Ive been to Mr Ts emporium this afternoon, OH decided to tag along which was not helpful.
    I got the selection boxes and yogurts firstly and OH started putting the main shopping in the trolley as well so he had to be persuaded not to. He said, why didn't you tell me what we were doing. Yes i am going to stand in the middle of a busy store explaining why i need to get 3 selection boxes and 3 sets of yogurt and then go through Ss tills scanning each item individually ....
    So that bit done we went and got the main shop - no u&g though :mad: I would like to know which of the MSe lurkers is loitering in my store, there is not enough room for 2 of us :D

That messed my shopping list up as i was trying to get to £30 with the addition of an £8.50 box of cat food to use a conditional spend so i ended up with 2 of these :(
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Posted on the darkside upto 73% off some fine wines Lidl some 3.99 a bottle sancerre, chateau-neuf-du pape not sure if its Nationwide this was confirmed in Arbroath and Dundee
  • Nina Ricci 50ml rtc £8.75 from £35.00 in T in store from the hukd
  • mhoc
    LEJC wrote: »
    I did warn you all of this fact last year....each year is just getting more difficult to come up with something tangible.

I came across something today that unsettled me ....I've discovered a homeless older lady living in a bus shelter not far from home, and it's playing a little on my mind...on one hand I'm willing to help with a few small bits and maybe bowls of soup or stew if she will accept them...and on the other hand I'm so frustrated that she finds herself with so many in authoritative places turning a blind eye to at least give her a hostel place or something temporary..... the bus shelter is not 50 paces from the local police station....madness.

This is a really difficult situation.
    When my dad has his fall and he ended up in hospital he was assigned a social worker and she had to assess his situation, mental and physical health and his home situation, living on his own and it was then her job to get him a temp care home.
    So maybe a call to social services might be a starting point
    I was reading about someones brother this morning who has multiple mental health issues - these issues resulted in drug addiction and alcoholism but now its become a chicken and egg situation - he cant access the help on offer because he is not in a fit state to ask for it and social services cant offer it because he cant ask ....
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • abailey54 wrote: »
    Morning :)

I have a 500 bonus on my nectar account today, statement says it was a transaction of £8 and there was a dunelm order I did for £8.xx so I'm guessing it was for that, fingers crossed the bonuses are starting to trickle through now :D

Stranger I checked my account on full website and says my 750 points are for transaction done yesterday for £14. I can only presume they are giving one random amount which includes all the transactions done online with the nominated retailers as I know I didn't do one for £14 but maybe mine added up to £14.
    I only spent £2.75 in store yesterday which shows as 2 points and doesn't double up as per my offers.
    I think life is too short to worry but expecting my 500 points for 5 shops.

V x
    fairclaire wrote: »
    . I do think a chaise lounge is a good description of you though. Stylish yet comfortable and laid back :)

May the odds be ever in your favour;)

SPC 7 Pot No 410 £232.63 Total
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    mhoc wrote: »
    This is a really difficult situation.
    When my dad has his fall and he ended up in hospital he was assigned a social worker and she had to assess his situation, mental and physical health and his home situation, living on his own and it was then her job to get him a temp care home.
    So maybe a call to social services might be a starting point
    I was reading about someones brother this morning who has multiple mental health issues - these issues resulted in drug addiction and alcoholism but now its become a chicken and egg situation - he cant access the help on offer because he is not in a fit state to ask for it and social services cant offer it because he cant ask ....

I think she may have been there for about a week...I vaguely remember driving past last week and seeing the beginnings of a pile of stuff in the corner of the shelter....its a brick built one and quite large so she has seemed to expand into it since I last went by.
    Now it appears that someone has given her a pop up type tent and there is evidence of blankets so it's not a case that she may have been "just passing through"...it looks like she is dare I say it settling in...not the right word or phrase but you get my drift....

its a busy main road and as I said the police station is one side of the road and the other side in equal direction away is the council offices.....they all must have seen her....no one should have to live in a bus shelter....there must be something that can be done.

I want to phone Social services but not with a view to moving her on...with a view to finding out how they can help her....its such a sad situation,which I know I know nothing about other than I dont want to turn a blind eye too.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • mhoc
    you won't believe it even when I tell you mhoc...but they have done a BP tour...their daughter used to work there!!!

another thought - what about an indoor tabletop stainless steel water feature. There is a website called Primrose that has numerous versions - they sit on your side table or coffee table and help with the humidity and ambience of a room :D

I don't know why I just thought of this, I think we have one still in a box i need to dig it out to go to the charity shop ....:D
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    mhoc wrote: »
    another thought - what about an indoor tabletop stainless steel water feature. There is a website called Primrose that has numerous versions - they sit on your side table or coffee table and help with the humidity and ambience of a room :D

I don't know why I just thought of this, I think we have one still in a box i need to dig it out to go to the charity shop ....:D
    I couldn't buy that...it's probably the one thing in life that I detest just as much as wind chimes....the sound of running water!!!!!
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • mhoc
    I think she may have been there for about a week...I vaguely remember driving past last week and seeing the beginnings of a pile of stuff in the corner of the shelter....its a brick built one and quite large so she has seemed to expand into it since I last went by.
    Now it appears that someone has given her a pop up type tent and there is evidence of blankets so it's not a case that she may have been "just passing through"...it looks like she is dare I say it settling in...not the right word or phrase but you get my drift....

its a busy main road and as I said the police station is one side of the road and the other side in equal direction away is the council offices.....they all must have seen her....no one should have to live in a bus shelter....there must be something that can be done.

I want to phone Social services but not with a view to moving her on...with a view to finding out how they can help her....its such a sad situation,which I know I know nothing about other than I dont want to turn a blind eye too.

yes, i think if she has only been there a short time then its def worth calling social services - she might even be known to them if she has just moved on from somewhere else.
    It might be that she was in a home or hospital and then just got restless and just got up and left ....
  • curl_girl
    curl_girl Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    LEJC.
    There is always a duty social worker available 24hrs if you are thinking about phoning your council.
    I think I would if I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.
    Anything could happen to her.......
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure