Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• juju17
    juju17 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 August 2016 at 4:58PM
    matty17r wrote: »
    Has anyone got any tips please for travel insurance for America? Not something I buy often so dont know where to start looking. I know some banks offer insurance free with certain accounts but dont know of any. Thanks in advance for any help.
    matty....have you considered the Nationwide Flex plus account?....it costs £10 per month but you get....
    Our FlexPlus current account offers competitive in credit interest and charges as well as a range of value added features including Worldwide Family Travel Insurance, UK & European Breakdown and Recovery Assistance, Worldwide Family Mobile Phone Insurance, Extended Warranty Protection, Identity Theft Assistance and Worldwide Emergency Card Assistance

DH and I changed ours to a joint account, as that way, the breakdown cover, will cover both of us, and therefore both our vehicles (account holder has to be in the vehicle that has broken down)....add in the travel insurance, and mobile cover, and I think its a good deal for £120 per year. Oh and 3% interest on £2500.
    Looks like mhoc and I were thinking the same
    Keep Moving 2018 challenge.
    January....
    Week 1-4 total 159.44 miles
    Week 5.... 41.66 miles
    Not moving anywhere! House renovations taken over life!!
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    emerald21 wrote: »
    Good afternoon all, so much for this hot sunny weather eh Nellie. :(

Its nice now in porthmadog.
    mhoc wrote: »
    I have yet to discover whatsapp - I need someone to convince me of its usefulness :D

I use it for photos and video clips, as its free x
  • Hillbern, I really feel for you sleeping on the floor. I did it once or twice and it's not nice. If I stay over now, I can go in the bottom bunk (adult size) or DD will go in there so I can have her bed.

Pleased to say that from Sept there is now a childminder in place so no more early school runs for me. The economic viability of it used to puzzle me as it took 4 hours from me to enable DD to gain 2 hours at work.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Well I didnt think they would come, but £175 for £5, DM is a happy bunny! (Plus I have always looked at them admiringly, but could never justify the cost.)

[IMG][/img]4f2409e5-7a86-46b2-855c-5f4983723f77_zps4afsdrft.jpg
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Good morning,

DS1 has left to live in Cambodia (there is something wrong with that lad...he picks places to live that cause me a heart attack, the safest place he has lived was Khoh Lak.. which sadly was bombed the other day).

DS2 is going back to uni, and he is actually working over the summer... he announced he is buying a new top speck computer with his wages. I told him he is not... as he will be reliant on us to keep him/pay fees etc. he is not buying anything unnecessary He is not happy with me.

DS3 asked me to go suit shopping with him. He has to go to court for speeding. I may kill him. I've told him he needs to try all of the various suits on in the house, and find the one that fits best. He said he would buy what he wanted.... I reminded him that he has borrowed the money to buy 3 cars, undertake various repairs, pay for insurances, and recently took my credit card on holiday with him for emergency purposes and spend £1100 on it.... and each time he promises to pay back immediately and does not but goes on to spend money on more rubbish...

I am rather proud on myself....but I think non of them will be speaking to me today!! lol

your sons are awful, I think worse than my gang at the moment - there must be some subtle ways by which we can retaliate against horrible children :rotfl:

tough love is def the way forward - they can't just ride rough shod over us

my youngest AKA errant son was out in Hong Kong for a year, which was bad enough, at least I was fairly calm about it. Over the last 2 years he has completely spent his savings and everything he earned travelling all over the Far East - when he was not in the HK then I was really worried about his personal safety. He now has a horrible GF, I dread to think how this is going to play out.
    He came back to the UK last month, went for an interview and now has a good job with an excellent company - I should be happy at least he is back in the UK even if its the other side of the country but I don't like where he lives - he decided to live in the cheapest nastiest most unsuitable bedsit ever.
    I email him or message him most days - usually the 'how is work' or 'what are you doing for dinner' or 'this us a good programme see if you can get it on iplayer' type of message but he totally ignores me - well I am used to being ignored so I just keep messaging :rotfl:

stick with it with son number 2 - our eldest nearly bankrupted us when she was at uni so he def needs to save him summer earnings. any laptop or computer he buys for uni will just get trashed or stolen so buying top of the range is a waste - and anyway the technology will have gone to another stage in another couple of years so anything he buys now will be out of date

youngest son you will really have to be tough with before things get worse.
    My youngest now owes me vast ammounts but before he went south I got him to set up a standing order so when he finally gets paid from the new job he will be paying me back every month. in fact I think I have been too lenient and when he does bother to actually talk to me I am going to get him to increase the ammount - it's me that will be bailing him out yet again as he won't get paid until late September

my middle son is doing OK at the mo - he is doing re training for the next year and it seems to be going OK so far - I was not happy about this but I have to lump it. There is a lot happening in his life now and we don't hear from him very much about his daily life - again I just have to lump it. He has though got a really fab GF so I just have to trust them to be adults

Eldest child and her BF are getting married next year and in the meantime they are trying to move back up north - she was our original wild child and we despaired of her on a daily basis but now she is our model child :)
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • buyitall
    buyitall Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    davemorton wrote: »
    Well I didnt think they would come, but £175 for £5, DM is a happy bunny! (Plus I have always looked at them admiringly, but could never justify the cost.)

;)

Well done, fabulous bargain, really pleased for you. Did you just order the one??
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,904 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

[IMG][/img]4f2409e5-7a86-46b2-855c-5f4983723f77_zps4afsdrft.jpg

:T:T:T well done
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    buyitall wrote: »
    ;)

Well done, fabulous bargain, really pleased for you. Did you just order the one??

No, 2 of both sizes (so I was over £20 for the free postage ;) ) but the other size was cancelled, so just got the 2. Cant complain though :) I have been on tender hooks all day until they got delivered.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • buyitall
    buyitall Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    No, 2 of both sizes (so I was over £20 for the free postage ;) ) but the other size was cancelled, so just got the 2. Cant complain though :) I have been on tender hooks all day until they got delivered.

Excellent - one in each hand will keep your bingo wings at bay :rotfl:
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,904 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

I do really like them, but too heavy for me without anything in, but i would have still got some (or ordered some) if i hadnt of missed it:rotfl:
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure