PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you buy a house without a bath??

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Not having a bath wouldn't be a deal breaker for a house I loved but it would put me off / be a compromise. I shower most of the time for speed / convenience so a bath is a treat / indulgence and something I enjoy when I have it. That said, I have a friend who's just converted a flat and removed the bath to just have a shower in the process because a) it suits the demographic if she comes to resell b) she hates baths so it made sense for her in the revised layout.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 December 2017 at 10:29PM
    We have just renovated a bungalow and got rid of the bath, re positioned the bathroom elsewhere and used the original bathroom as part of the kitchen after taking down the wall obviously.

We had room for a bath in the new sited bathroom but due to the fact that hubby never uses a bath and I find it impossible to get out of one we did not see the point in having another bath put in. We now have an all singing, all dancing fantastic large shower cubicle that can accommodate a shower chair when needed.

The house has been done for US, if future buyers do require a bath they can install one.
  • Absolutely - one should do the bathroom the way you want yourself.

In my last house - I ripped the bath out (though it had a shower over it) and put in a large shower cubicle back before it became quite so much "the thing" as it now is. That - despite the fact it was a starter house and so there was a good chance that people who had/anticipated having child/ren would be buying it.

In the event - I did sell it to someone with a young child - so it hadnt put them off. Their concern seemed to be that the "rival house" to mine they were considering had a sink school nearby, whereas mine had decent schools nearby.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I lost a sale as I'd only put in a shower not a bath. But the prospect was Japanese.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bspm wrote: »
    We had room for a bath in the new sited bathroom but due to the fact that hubby never uses a bath and I find it impossible to get out of one we did not see the point in having another bath put in. We now have an all singing, all dancing fantastic large shower cubicle that can accommodate a shower chair when needed.

The house has been done for US, if future buyers do require a bath they can install one.

We took the same decision. When we came to revamp the bathroom, none of us could remember when the bath was last used so out it came and there's a lovely big shower cubicle in its place.

By the time we sell, the new owners will probably want to update the bathroom again and they can put a bath back if they want.
  • Not having a bath would put me off. I rarely bath as I much prefer a shower; I have a shower over my bath. A lot of 2 bed houses around my way are owned or rented by families with young kids so I think it would be difficult for me to sell or rent the house without a bath.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    If your house will be marketed to a couple who might have a baby at some point, then a bath is essential.

Trying to wash toddlers or babies in a shower cubical is a nightmare, and you would need a baby bath - which would need storing somewhere in this small house...

It could be stored in the shower cubicle !
  • I bought my current house without a bath. The previous owners had refitted the bathroom with just a shower cubicle, as it is a small room.

It didn't bother me, as I don't have baths.

When my partner moved in, she kept asking me to fit a bath, as she likes to have a soak.

About 12 months ago, I finally got around to having the bathroom refitted, complete with bath. It took some searching for a suitable suite that would fit the available space.

We are thinking of moving within the next year, so I figured it would probably make the house more appealing to the family market.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Bath over shower here too.

If there wasn't a bath I'd deduct the cost of refitting the bathroom from any offer.

I could remove a shower cubile and fit a bath from around £300. It's a simple job.

And I will do if I ever sell this house and it proves an issue.e

A bath with a shower is a crap shower.

I was going to do it in my previous house but was worried like people say here. It ended up with a £300 B&Q suite and a shower over the bath. I never used the bath. The shower was a pain and you have to be too careful when you are not in a proper cubicle.

When I moved there was a bath/sink/shower in a fitted by an idiot wet room. I decided BIG shiower cubile and sink/toilet was much more use to me. Who wants to go downstairs to a toilet at night? Might have got away with a bath too, but the shower cubile would have been tiny and it would have been a cramped room. Tons of space as is. And as said. It ain't hard to remove a shower cubile and put a bath in if I had to.
  • We sold a house without a bath (although there was room for one) to a young family.

We then bought a bungalow without a bath (although there was room for one) . We have a lovely big shower instead.

So my answer is obviously yes!!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure