Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Comments

• Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You're looking over my way! I'm in the new forest. Different way of life. Totally brilliant. I would look all round Dorset/new forest to see what suits. Poole might be a good balance or Bournemouth for town living. It's a bit rural otherwise but I love it.

In terms of sorting out the house. Declutter!! Sell it all on eBay - there's your overdraft sorted! Have the mindset of do I want to lug that 2 hours down the road and unpack it and find it a new home in my house? Makes me ruthless.
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi

I can't really add to what others have said as they have given great advice.

Just to say, you are never too old to travel. My mother went travelling in her 60's when she retired. She spent a year living and working in Japan and then spent 6 months travelling around Asia.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • I believe it's Bournemouth for work, and Poole ( or indeed new forest)for home life.;)
  • My job has got quieter. Not much going on . This has been my worst year ever, but I should be able to think and act clearer next year.
    If I can get past January , I'm trying to convince myself that I won't remain rock bottom ;)
  • If London is home, then why would you want to move ?

You seem to have about £300,000 in assets?

If you moved NORTH, to somewhere NICE, you could buy a house with a garden, and a couple of rental properties.

With 2 houses at £100K each you should be able to make £12K a year if you pick the right town.

And £100K for a house with a garden for yourself. Then you can get a job, that you like. Even if it's minimum wage you'll be making enough to live comfortably.

Of course you'll have to get out and make new friends. (A mate of mine reckons tinder is the best way to make new friends, but I think he was joking)

Anyway, to do that you'd have to be brave and take risks.
  • I wouldn't move up north on my own tho';)

You should start your world tour at Crewe, using Stuart Marconi's Guide to the North. You might like it.

Do you think the North Starts just past Oxford ?

I've BEEN to the south and am not impressed.

Never been to Poole though.
  • AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You've done well to buy your maisonette and as you say you are in a good position in some ways. You might not like the idea of this, but have you considered getting a lodger? It would force you to declutter a bit, and you could earn a good tax free income from it.

There are lots of nice respectful people out there who would appreciate a home in such a nice area. You have a lot of rights as well and could do it short term, or quite commonly now people do Sun-Thurs lets and there is a market for it.

I've done it for a year when I was saving for a deposit - it really made all the difference, and was a lot easier than expected. I had a student lodging and she was no trouble at all, very polite and always working or studying. It gave me a bit more confidence as well having the extra income, and I didn't feel so worried about work or so stuck. You could do that as a short term option and then when the finances feel better you could think about what you wanted to do.

I moved out of London to Hertfordshire 10 years ago and I don't regret a thing. I commute in to London and have done so for most of that time. I much prefer it to living in London but property prices aren't massively cheaper in some parts of Herts, than London.

Also it is easier to meet people nowadays with online social groups etc. It's daunting at first but you'd be surprised how much fun it can be. If you're feeling a bit low it is hard I know but this phase will pass. I wouldn't make major decisions when feeling low. I also understand the work situation but if you do things to take your mind off it outside of work you might not feel as bad about it. It's important to give yourself a break and not get bogged down with work. I know it's hard, with the politics etc. :)
  • I forgot to mention something . I had my brother stay with me for 5 years.
    ( didn't know it would be that long.) it started when he lost his job, I put him up 6 months rent free. 6 months later he got a job working nights .
    I let his property out for him ,as we did think about buying a place together.
    My brother ended up nearly taking over the place and was a total nightmare . We eventually agreed peacefully and amicably , for him to move out around this time of year. He flustered as he always does( he can never handle pressure), and left me high and dry in March instead.
    I was always chasing him for the rent , so it never seemed like I could save anything. So, I don't want another lodger;)

Regarding the north/ south thing - I know a few Geordies . Been to Newcastle a couple of times . They're not all friendly ; Ie in a chip shop,or in a pub they hear the accent and you have to be on your guard a bit ;)

I actually feel quite mellow with what I've been through. I do blame my myasthenia on my brother and the job tho '.
    I'm one of these people who take everything on the chin without complaining, until something gives .( in this case myasthenia gravis;) )
  • I had a look at the hillbilly 1 link above . Good thread ;)
    There's a lot to sort out next year, that's for sure .
  • I live in a beautiful part of rural North Yorkshire. You could buy a really nice 2 bed house around here for £150k and there are jobs available. A lot of people move here from more expensive areas and you would find plenty of people who have moved North living in the same town/village. I think it would be easier to make friends than you might think.

BUT it would be a culture shock - my nearest Tesc@ is 20 miles away. Public transport is rubbish. Our local market towns are being overtaken by charity shops and pound shops and you have to travel for any sort of entertainment.

So I guess its weighing up the pros and cons. Could you see yourself living somewhere rural?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure