Warning and advice about LCS Utility Investigation Civil Enforcement Debt Recoveries

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,491 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 29 November 2017 at 6:53PM
    scotgal30 wrote: »
    How have these people got his address? name etc? How come the energy supplier hasn't given this company the name of the account holder of the energy supply?

The only way I can think they got his name is because he did have a telephone package at that address for the time he was living there and cancelled when he left - did they search the address through the credit reference agencies and decided to pin it on him?

How does he respond to this letter - as it is addressed to him, I am guessing will have to contact them to say it is not his debt? Can they pin it on him even though its not his? Will this effect his credit score? We are desperately saving for a mortgage and do not want this to effect our chances of buying our home - if it was his debt he would pay it but it isn't and we're both concerned about the implications of this.

If they are playing a guessing game - will they expect him to pass on the debtors details?

Any help would be amazing - thanks.

This is typical of LCS - he has a vague connection to the address so they try to pin the debt on him.

It's unlikely to result in a mark on his credit file - Scot Power don't often report and LCS never do.

I've no idea what they expect from this. Write to deny the debt. You don't need to say when he was living there - just that he wasn't in that period. Head the letter 'Complaint' and require a response within 8 weeks. If they continue to demand money, look back in this thread for how to refer the matter to the CSA and FCA, who should really be closing them down

Edit: summary in this post

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72974617&postcount=277
  • I'm dealing with the same company as well as Moorcroft group who seem to be running their operation from a converted block of flats in greater Manchester and are hassling me for money not owed as they're representing Scotish power as well as LCS credit management investigation from Leeds who are acting on behalf of Scottish power. All of them are bullies and the government should do something about these vultures who prey on innocent hard working people. Hang in there all of you as SCUM BAGS allways get what they deserve
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm dealing with the same company as well as Moorcroft group who seem to be running their operation from a converted block of flats in greater Manchester and are hassling me for money not owed as they're representing Scotish power as well as LCS credit management investigation from Leeds who are acting on behalf of Scottish power. All of them are bullies and the government should do something about these vultures who prey on innocent hard working people. Hang in there all of you as SCUM BAGS allways get what they deserve

Debts must be proven on request, sending the "provit letter" puts the onus on the debt collector to provide evidence of your liability, if they cant provide you with it, but continue to ask for payment, just ignore them, unless they start a court claim.

If they cant/wont supply you with evidence, that's a good basis for a defense.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Just got another letter from LCS Threataning leagal action but not falling for it as they are nothing but POND LIFE BOTTOM FEEDING SCAM ARTISTS
    MARTIN
  • loobiloo
    loobiloo Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just received this nonsense (sent to an email address that Ive not used for about 10 years). I'm assuming they are hoping I will call them and query their email and thereby spend a fortune on a phone call?

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you making a payment of £ 31.33 to account 18439042, this payment has been successful and has already been applied to your account. Your new balance is £ 156.60. The payment will show on your card statement in between 2-3 business days. If you need to speak to us regarding your account please do not hesitate to call us on 0113 297 7530.

Yours Sincerely LCS

Is that the best they can do?
  • hebbo
    hebbo Posts: 1 Newbie
    hi i am new on here hope i am right page , i got a letter from LCS 2 weeks ago saying i owed 63 pound to british gas , i got another today saying i owed 83 pound , i rang british gas and they gave me a number to ring , it turned out tpo be LCS i moved into the property , but i changed the supplier , this bill is for one month , i really dont know what to do , i was in the property but why wont british gas take payment ? i think if i leave it any longer the bill will go up AGAIN ,,, HELP
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    hebbo wrote: »
    hi i am new on here hope i am right page , i got a letter from LCS 2 weeks ago saying i owed 63 pound to british gas , i got another today saying i owed 83 pound , i rang british gas and they gave me a number to ring , it turned out tpo be LCS i moved into the property , but i changed the supplier , this bill is for one month , i really dont know what to do , i was in the property but why wont british gas take payment ? i think if i leave it any longer the bill will go up AGAIN ,,, HELP

Are you sure the bill is yours ?

As with any debt you think may be in dispute, send the "provit" letter to them, they must be able to justify a bill, and your liability for it, it could be the previous tenants are responsible.

Template here :

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    There's no reason why the bill should go up - LCS will have no contractual right to interest or charges.

The prove-it should mean that you get the information about precisely what this is and what period it covers.

Until then, don't pay, don't talk to them and don't worry.
  • BadDebtor
    BadDebtor Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    7 years these scum have been hounding innocent people who have nothing to do with the debt.

Surely they must have to conform to some code of conduct, how do they get their names if they are new and what right do they have to accuse the new tenant of the old tenant's debt?

They seem to be suggesting that the new tenant has to prove something or go to the trouble of writing to them.

Are these scum not licensed, isn't it time that they had it withdrawn?
  • fatbelly
    BadDebtor wrote: »
    7 years these scum have been hounding innocent people who have nothing to do with the debt.

Surely they must have to conform to some code of conduct, how do they get their names if they are new and what right do they have to accuse the new tenant of the old tenant's debt?

They seem to be suggesting that the new tenant has to prove something or go to the trouble of writing to them.

Are these scum not licensed, isn't it time that they had it withdrawn?

I've been posting about this for most of this thread.

Given the discussion elsewhere on this forum at the moment I would suggest you complain to LCS, their 'trade body' the Credit Services Association and then report the result to the FCA.

https://www.firstnow.co.uk/dispute

http://www.csa-uk.com/assets/documents/forms/csa_complaint_form.pdf

consumer.queries@fca.org.uk

See also my post #262 referring to OFT & FCA requirements
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills