Make google searches ENGLISH?

Lately i've been searching a few things and the top results i'm getting through are American based. It's very frustrating. Everything in dollars, all advice American based so totally unhelpful to me. I don't remember it being like this.

Even when i go Tools & change from Any country to UK it doesn't help.

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,772
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    On a PC make sure it's Google.co.uk you are connecting to and not .com.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,

if you scroll down to the bottom of a Google search page, you'll find some options there.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Putting 'UK' in the search parameters usually helps.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,287
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    is it something like windows language is set to English US or something weird ??
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,669
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    which browser you using? I'm using yandex and all search results are US-biased even when using google.co.uk....I do what xbigman suggested above and just tag uk on the end of your search :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Xbigman wrote: »
    Putting 'UK' in the search parameters usually helps.

This.

(in 12 characters or more)
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Using Google.com? not Google.co.uk?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • No i was using the .co.uk version.
    FireFox is my browser too.

And it's not the spelling (so favorite for example) it's the results are American based. I can't even remember what i searched yesterday tbh but let's say it was benefits. I pick that because i know it related to money. The websites came up with American dollars and things that an American would be entitled to. So if it was for say employment law for example it'd all be about American law & not the rules that apply to us Brits if you get me?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Ok, well i'm going to suggest you install and run malwarebytes, it's possible that malware has installed some sort of VPN connection and your internet is connecting via a rogue server, effectively giving you a foreign IP address, also look here to see where your IP address suggests you are:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    Ok, well i'm going to suggest you install and run malwarebytes, it's possible that malware has installed some sort of VPN connection and your internet is connecting via a rogue server, effectively giving you a foreign IP address, also look here to see where your IP address suggests you are:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/
    Well that got me spot on though i ran Malwarebytes and nothing found.

Another i've just noticed today. I'm looking up a kick stand for my new bike. I googled "Trek Kick Stand" and this is what i got https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trek+kick+stand&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=MdRrWZ-3N5Pc8Aev66CICw American results first in dollar$. I guess Trek must be an American company but in the past if there was an English version then it would always be displayed so i guess this isn't the best example of what i've been searching lately but it shows it well enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure