Address appearing online after Bankruptcy - What can we do?

Jackuk
Jackuk Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 10 December 2017 at 10:15AM in Bankruptcy & living with it
EDIT TO TITLE: Shes only JUST been declared bankrupt.
Hello,
I am posting this on behalf of a friend regarding her information appearing on the gazette website . We are aware that her name needs to appear online due to her becoming bankrupt but during her O.R interview we asked about her address not appearing online and they said that due to her reason they'd request her current address be withheld. Unfortunately we have just found her 'page' and her current address appears to be shown.

The reason we requested that her address be withheld is due to her not wanting an abusive ex partner to know her current address as this could cause problems for her and her health condition. My friend suffers from severe depression, Anxiety and agoraphobia and has only recently been removed from the suicide watch list.
She had to move from her last address (Her mothers) due to her ex discovering her location and sending abusive letters to the address.

***removed by forum team*** then moved to my address until Christmas to allow her time to focus on her health and finding a new place to live.
From looking at their help section it appears that she would need to provide proof that there is a valid reason for the address being removed. Unfortunately, due to her health condition and fear of her partner she has not been to the police (For reasons I can't put here, and knowing how much influence he has at his job, i don't blame her.) about it as of yet and has no evidence regarding this matter.

Is there anything we can do? I have contacted them explaining the above and asked if a letter letter from her doctor explaining how severe her condition suffice?
If not would there be any other evidence she can send that will warrant her address being removed from the website.

We're currently waiting a reply but it's causing her condition to worsen. She is petrified that her ex-partner could find the address turn up at the door.

What are the chances that they would allow her address to be removed due to this reason without much evidence?

Thank you for any help you can give - Jack and A

P.s I know the best thing she could do is go to the police but I can't put why she hasn't on here and if I did I think most of you would understand. For the moment we just want to focus getting her address offline ASAP. Thank you.

Comments

• Richey_
    Richey_ Posts: 334 Forumite
    Jack what are you expecting people to say?

There is no tangible reason why the OR or whoever can justify not putting her address on to The Gazette.

IMHO it’s total nonsense about not being able goto the Police. You let them investigate and if unhappy with the result you have the option of complaint. If that is not acceptable you have the IPCC which is the INDEPENDENT Police Complaints Authority. This is completely separate to any Police force.

Whoever her ex is, he is not so big that he can control either the Police or the independent complaints authority.

IMHO you are just making her anxiety and acrophobia worse by the way you are being.
    You need to be encouraging her to speak to the Police, speak to her local independent domestic abuse (IDVA) Service, to the NCDV who can help with a free injunction, to a solicitor to see if she can get legal aid, a civil court order or help for her mental health.

Who ever this person is, they are not bigger than the Police, the IPCC or the courts. Support her, don’t encourage her to isolate herself. You say she has no evidence, surely the “abusive”letters are evidence in themselves.

She needs propper advice, not from a web forum.

Encourage her to speak to her local IDVA group or the NCDV, both of whom can advise, if she will not speak to the Police. At least then you would have reference numbers which you could pass onto the OR or they may be able to help support her request re the address being removed.
  • JenP85
    JenP85 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 December 2017 at 2:20AM
    Richey_

With all due respect you're totally out of order with your comment and should either remove it or have it removed by a mod.
    This place is supposed to be for people to come for help and not to be judged or be accused of making people ill.

If you had read the O.P fully you'd be able to tell he isn't happy about her not wanting to go to the police but can't force her to so is trying to help her the best way he can.
    You'd have also seen this additional information at the bottom saying "I know the best thing she could do is go to the police but I can't put why she hasn't on here and if I did I think most of you would understand."
    It's obvious that he wants her to go to the police but can't for what ever reason she feels she can't.

Simply saying "IMHO it’s total nonsense about not being able goto the Police. " is ridiculous when you do NOT know the full details or who this person is. It could be a loan shark, a gangster, have some hold over the poor girl or could be a Policeman
    Let me share an experience with you and see if you still feel the sameway.
    10 years ago my cousin started dating a Policeman (And i'm guessing that may be what JackUK was hinting at). 2-3 years into the relationship he admitted to her while drunk that he'd murdered somebody and had help covering it up from people inside the force and outside (A Loan shark). When she brought it upto him the next day he threatened her and told her if she ever told anybody the same would happen to her and her daughter and beat and raped her.
    A few weeks later she tried to leave him and he beat her so severely she couldn't see for two days. She called the police, was interviewed etc and her boyfriend was arrested only to be released a few hours later because two policeman gave him an alibi and said he was with them at a party even though she had CCTV footage of him entering her house and leaving it.
    He contacted her the next day and said "If you don't drop this I can make you vanish along with your daughter just like (Said girls name he admitted to murdering) and nobody will know." Knowing what he had admitted to her a few weeks before this incident she dropped the case and moved.

Now, if the above woman had been through something similar would you suggest she go to the police still? Especially if she has a mental illness as mentioned in the O.P
    If so you're either very naive on how evil some people in this world can be or you don't value life very much.

@JackUk.
    I am SO sorry. I can't help you as I haven't been in the same position as yourself but Ignore Richey_. Not everybody around here is that judgmental and are willing to help everybody and anybody. The people on here have helped me so much over the past month and i'm sure they'll help you.

You may not want to bring it up on here but you can P.M if your friend is in a similar position and I can share with you things she did to get away from her ex none of which involve the police.

I hope they get back in-contact with you ASAP and something can get sorted. - Jen.
  • Richey_
    Hi Jen, I feel that you are letting your emotions affect your response. I am sorry about your cousin, that sounds awful, however I would have given the same advice that I gave Jack.

There are many groups out there that can help, IDVAS, NCDV etc do an amazing job and will support if somebody does not wish to go to the Police. They can refer to the local multi agency risk assessment conference where persons in a high risk relationship are discussed at a multi agency level. Your cousin, she should have fought what happened to her, my advice around the IPCC or complaints channels still stands. As does the IDVA, civil solicitor etc, The Police Force go to great lengths to weed out people who are bad people, deliberately dishonest etc and I think your cousin may have had a very different response had she had fought against her ex and his colleagues. I am not naive, when you are at your lowest time, you are drained and deeply affected by what is happening this must be one of the hardest things you can do is fight back, This was why I suggested support groups and other options that can help work with somebody in the same position.

In Jacks case, there is a lot he is holding back, for example he says there is no evidence when letters have been received. It maybe that these nasty letters are from a solicitor asking for access to the children and this is why they do not want the name in The Gazette.

Sorry Jen, i feel that your response was over the top and not nice. I know this is an emotive subject, but my first response had a lot of advice which would help this person a lot in getting the problems documented so you then have something tangible to take to the OR. Let’s be realistic if you were the OR without documented reasons, it’s very unlikely they will remove the persons address.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    JenP85 wrote: »
    Richey_

With all due respect you're totally out of order with your comment and should either remove it or have it removed by a mod.
    This place is supposed to be for people to come for help and not to be judged or be accused of making people ill.

If you had read the O.P fully you'd be able to tell he isn't happy about her not wanting to go to the police but can't force her to so is trying to help her the best way he can.
    You'd have also seen this additional information at the bottom saying "I know the best thing she could do is go to the police but I can't put why she hasn't on here and if I did I think most of you would understand."
    It's obvious that he wants her to go to the police but can't for what ever reason she feels she can't.

Simply saying "IMHO it’s total nonsense about not being able goto the Police. " is ridiculous when you do NOT know the full details or who this person is. It could be a loan shark, a gangster, have some hold over the poor girl or could be a Policeman
    Let me share an experience with you and see if you still feel the sameway.
    10 years ago my cousin started dating a Policeman (And i'm guessing that may be what JackUK was hinting at). 2-3 years into the relationship he admitted to her while drunk that he'd murdered somebody and had help covering it up from people inside the force and outside (A Loan shark). When she brought it upto him the next day he threatened her and told her if she ever told anybody the same would happen to her and her daughter and beat and raped her.
    A few weeks later she tried to leave him and he beat her so severely she couldn't see for two days. She called the police, was interviewed etc and her boyfriend was arrested only to be released a few hours later because two policeman gave him an alibi and said he was with them at a party even though she had CCTV footage of him entering her house and leaving it.
    He contacted her the next day and said "If you don't drop this I can make you vanish along with your daughter just like (Said girls name he admitted to murdering) and nobody will know." Knowing what he had admitted to her a few weeks before this incident she dropped the case and moved.

Now, if the above woman had been through something similar would you suggest she go to the police still? Especially if she has a mental illness as mentioned in the O.P
    If so you're either very naive on how evil some people in this world can be or you don't value life very much.

Don't believe a word.
  • Richey_
    z1a wrote: »
    Don't believe a word.

I intentionally overlooked the bizarre comments and just stuck with the elements with a degree of possibility. It was Saturday night so I just guessed it was drunken ramble.

:beer:
  • If you thought Richey was unkind then you would of hated my Comment....

In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

The letters would be evidence..and right or wrong we rely on the Police to address issues we cannot sort out ourselves,if the OP was suggesting a high ranking Police officer was behind all this then instruct a solicitor and let them deal with it.

Sorry but think there's more to the original story like basically not wanting people to know about the name in gazette.

Been there and done it..it doesn't last long and life moves on.
  • Well that escalated quickly...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport