EEK - I've done it! *updated post OR interview 05.10.2016*

Options

Comments

• NotEvanAPot
    Options
    Am sure interview has happened by now, but don't be expecting a BRO/U to be discussed much during initial interview, they have 11 months to get it in place and rarely do it quicker than 3 months from BR date.
  • owlet
    owlet Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to say good luck for tomorrow & echo what Tigerfeet and others have said about spending the money.

You weren't BR at the time so it wasn't an asset - you might not have gone through with the BR . .....

Explain what you bought & the age andcondition of the items you replaced . Presuming you didn't go for top of the range purchases.... tell the OR that too & make sure you are very clear that Stepchange gave you the ok too.

Hope it goes ok for you x
    SPC 8 (2015) #485 TOTAL: £334.65
    SPC 9 (2016) #485 TOTAL £84
    SPC 10 (2017) # 485 TOTAL: £464.80
    SPC 11 (2018) #485
  • Piggywinkle
    Piggywinkle Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2016 at 11:07AM
    Options
    Well, the interview has just finished. I tried so hard not to cry but I still bloody did - feel so silly.

My worries about the PPI spends were justified. The OR was really not happy with the fact that I'd spent the money and has asked for all of the receipts to be sent to her. She told me that StepChange shouldn't have told me to spend the money and that she will look at the receipts when she receives them and see if she considers the spends reasonable in the circumstances, if not then an investigation may be launched in light of possibly giving me a BRO. This is exactly what I was worried about :(

She asked me about my car, why I needed it, how long it took me to get to work and how long it took me to get to my daughter's school to pick her up (I finish at 3pm, my daughter finishes at 3.15pm). I explained that there would be no way I would be able to reach my daughter in time using public transport and that my car was only worth £300 on Parkers and she seemed satisfied with that.

She was not interested in seeing proof of my partner's income or his bank account as she said that my wage (c. £445 per month) dictated that any contribution would be a fair one.

I am going to get my information together now (wage slips, bank account details), as well as my receipt copies and send them off to the OR today, recorded delivery. I think I'm going to leave it for a fortnight and - if I don't hear anything - I will email the OR office to find out if everything was okay. Otherwise I'm going to continue worrying about getting a BRO.

Christ, it's like it never ends. Thank you all so much for your help thus far :wave:
  • worriedmamma
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry your fears were not stopped with regard to the BRO/U. That's rubbish. However I'm sure when they look into your purchases and the amounts alongside the fact that you were advised it'd be OK to spend it, you may still escape it. Fingers crossed.

I'm glad the chat is over and that hopefully you can be a tiny bit more relaxed now.

Glad the car issue is sorted, that's one thing to not worry about at least!

I haven't been asked to send any bank statements etc... I'm 3 weeks since my application was accepted. Will this be because my income is solely benefits?
  • Piggywinkle
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry your fears were not stopped with regard to the BRO/U. That's rubbish. However I'm sure when they look into your purchases and the amounts alongside the fact that you were advised it'd be OK to spend it, you may still escape it. Fingers crossed.

I'm glad the chat is over and that hopefully you can be a tiny bit more relaxed now.

Glad the car issue is sorted, that's one thing to not worry about at least!

I haven't been asked to send any bank statements etc... I'm 3 weeks since my application was accepted. Will this be because my income is solely benefits?

I don't think they can ask anyone who's income is solely benefits to pay anything into an IPA - maybe that's something to do with it? I also remember you said that your husband's money was paid into your account so maybe it's not much use to them as it's not a true reflection of your sole income? Not sure, I've no doubt someone else on here knows better than me!
  • adyj73
    adyj73 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Its a truly stressful time and I hope you get through this

Just a couple of points and I hope you don't feel I'm being negative

If your husband is so private why are your wages going into his private bank account? Would it not be better to have some control yourself with your wages going into your own account?

With regards to the new items - fridge, washing machine, hoover etc - Why did you have to buy all these things? Surely your husband would be equally liable to replace household items so on that note I'm not surprised the OR is a little annoyed you spent your PPI on them rather than paying off some of your debts. At the very least would he not have paid half towards the new items leaving you more windfall?

Like I say I hope you don't feel I'm having a go but these things jumped out at me from an independent observer position
  • Piggywinkle
    Options
    adyj73 wrote: »
    Its a truly stressful time and I hope you get through this

Just a couple of points and I hope you don't feel I'm being negative

If your husband is so private why are your wages going into his private bank account? Would it not be better to have some control yourself with your wages going into your own account?

With regards to the new items - fridge, washing machine, hoover etc - Why did you have to buy all these things? Surely your husband would be equally liable to replace household items so on that note I'm not surprised the OR is a little annoyed you spent your PPI on them rather than paying off some of your debts. At the very least would he not have paid half towards the new items leaving you more windfall?

Like I say I hope you don't feel I'm having a go but these things jumped out at me from an independent observer position

I don't mind answering genuine questions :) Regarding my wages going into his account, when my credit rating took a nose dive back in 2012 when my debt problems started, I had my name taken off our joint account. The account remained in his name, with all of our monthly DDs set up to go out of that account. That hasn't changed. It's easier for me to have my wages paid into there so that we have all of our DDs covered. My husband gets paid weekly and I get paid monthly. With my wages going in at the end of the month and the majority of our DDs coming out on or around the 1st, this just seemed to make sense. My husband isn't bothered about me knowing the details to his accounts, he just didn't like the idea of the OR wanting to look at his accounts as he felt it was unjustified. I see I've probably painted him in a worse light than was deserved in my previous posts.

With the white goods I bought, we simply live month to month and never have any extra to save up for anything else. The items I replaced were super old and my washer had been fixed a few times in the preceding 12 months, I had to have money off my own mother for that. The shame was awful but I can't go without a washing machine. Unfortunately, we'd not been in a position to replace these things since before my daughter was born in 2011. My vaccum cleaner was purchased in 2002 :eek: Hubs isn't on a fantastic wage and is paying back a CC himself as we had to practically live on credit for a year after my maternity pay ended. I've not gone for top of the range stuff - just stuff that can help me out. Having an iron that isn't held together with duct tape is actually quite nice :):)

Hope that answers some of your questions :)
  • adyj73
    adyj73 Posts: 166 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2016 at 2:37PM
    Options
    to be honest I wasn't really expecting a reply. I was just making observations as an outsider as I can kinda see what the OR is getting at in terms of the PPI spend

Anyway I think as long as you are honest with the OR that is all you can do. I don't worry about stuff like this anymore as you can only do what you can do and once you have done it its done :)

All the best for the future

Edit - I feel your pain - I had to buy a new washing machine and fridge freezer in last 4 weeks so my CC has taken a hit :(
  • Piggywinkle
    Options
    adyj73 wrote: »
    to be honest I wasn't really expecting a reply. I was just making observations as an outsider as I can kinda see what the OR is getting at in terms of the PPI spend

Anyway I think as long as you are honest with the OR that is all you can do. I don't worry about stuff like this anymore as you can only do what you can do and once you have done it its done :)

All the best for the future

Edit - I feel your pain - I had to buy a new washing machine and fridge freezer in last 4 weeks so my CC has taken a hit :(

Thank you :) I don't mind making everything a bit clearer, we sometimes take knowledge for granted ourselves and can only see it from our point of view so it helps me think about it too.
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If she even tries to give you a BRU then don't except it. YOU DID NOTHING WRONG.

If she even dares then there are people here who will help you fight it. To be honest it won't affect you much if you do get one. You'll just have to declare the BR if you want credit over £500 for the duration. It's the damn principle of it.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills