Argos - Links to scam - how low have they sunk

Just bought something on Argos and at the end it is link to get £15 cashback. When you follow this link it is one of these scams where you have to sign up with a credit card and then cancel before the start taking money off you for the monthly subscription. I'm sure all MSE's have read about these. When I followed the link WOT immediately warned me about the site's extremely poor reputation (for scamming).

I've emailed Argos to say I think it is pretty poor that Argos associate themselves which such obvious scam companies. Argos's reply is that they are a preferred partner so that's ok. Err, no Argos. It's your website, you are responsible for the link and I trust that google is punishing you in the rating for having a link to a scam site.

Comments

• Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    It's not a scam, it's a subscription service. The problem is, like with Amazon Prime, people fail to read what they are signing up to. It staggers me how people will give their credit card details without any thought as to why they are needed.
  • What amazes me is the amount of people who shout scam when clearly they aren't taking any notice of what they are subscribing to.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 October 2016 at 1:06PM
    It's not a scam, get your 15 quid and cancel within the cancellation time, simple.

*The reason for the WOT alert will be because people who can't understand what they're reading have shouted < scam when it's nothing of the sort . .

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I am sure, that on and off, it has been there for ages and it is not a "scam".

(Web Of Twits)
  • how do you think the internet gets paid for without ad's?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    how do you think the internet gets paid for without ad's?

By selling your data to PPI companies allegedly :)
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Not a scam.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    One of these days I'll open a "SCAM!!!" post and it will actually be one ;)
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not a scam but I think it has the potential to be confused with Argos' £10 free voucher. I just tried reserving something and the terms did seem pretty clear to me though.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Not a scam, the web of trust warned you about it most likely because people didnt know what it was that they signed up for and so gave a negative reveiw for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure