No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2016

Comments

• SuiDreams wrote: »
    It was £60 :eek: so £2.40 per polish each 3.75ml. Don't have any of the colours, nd think I will like them all. Just need to not by any nail polish for at least a year now. Going to have to keep away from the shops until things settle down.

Hope work improves for you.

Thanks. We need to get those pyn Thursdays or whatever up and going on these threads! I'm awful and never can find the energy to paint my nails but I have a fair few nail varnishes to use up!
  • New BootsFreebie day for me, Cucumber water toner IN. Other products are going down so slowly at the moment. That might be a good thing as most of the Christmas sets I've sen so far dont remotely appeal even at half price in the sales...maybe I'm cured....again:eek::eek:
    Debt free and busy treating myself:)

No more toiletries/make up until I've used what I've got stashed since Jan 2011, graduated October 2012. Restocked Dec 13..damn those sales
  • Hi ladies - some really interesting conversations.

I buy makeup that I don't have the confidence to wear, in the belief that the makeup will give me the confidence. To be fair, over the last 5 years I have learnt (thank you Youtube) to apply good neutral makeup for everyday, but I still don't dare to wear bright eyeshadow and strong lipstick. That doesn't stop me buying them.

Had a major Near Purchasing Incident today in Boots in the Arndale centre - which is massive! There's probably more lipstick in there than in all of the shops in the whole of the North East put together! Anyway, I gave myself a stern talking to, as I've spent my October budget, and reapplied the (lovely) lipstick in my handbag and walked back out.

Nothing but LHJs at the moment, including a Lush shower gel which is making our whole house smell like the Lush shop. OH is unimpressed.
  • abbe89
    abbe89 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Catriona_P wrote: »
    Little tip - if you shave, applying body lotion before you do makes the skin softer and shaving easier (I find). This is how I use up my body lotions!

Thank you! I'm blessed with very fine hair, so don't shave often but that's a good tip for when I do! :)
  • Gemzie121
    Gemzie121 Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 November 2016 at 4:31AM
    Hey everyone, apologies for being very very late to the party again but im still doing the challenge, just have been very busy moving into new house. Still got loads of unpacking to do. So theres been less movement on the toiletries front but hopefully back to normality soon. I have some uus to report anyway and heres this months PP:

1. [STRIKE]Dove beauty finish roll on deodorant[/STRIKE]
    2. Lush dont rain on my parade shower gel sample
    [STRIKE]3. Lush beautiful shower gel sample[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]5. Lush lord of misrule shower gel sample[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]6. Lush olive branch shower gel sample[/STRIKE]
    7. Lush elbow grease moisturising bar sample
    8. Lush love & light hand cream sample
    [STRIKE]9. Lush key lime lip balm sample[/STRIKE]
    10. Lush enzymion moisturiser sample
    11. Lush karma kream body lotion sample
    [STRIKE]12. M&S peach & almond body butter 200ml [/STRIKE]
    13. Sanex dermo invisible spray deodorant
    14. St. Ives normal & combination skin chamomile facial cleansing wipes
    [STRIKE]15. Avon far away exotic eau de toilette 50ml[/STRIKE]
    16. Lynx attract for her deodorant body spray

UU's:

Lush plum rain shower gel sample - WBA, and already have full size in stash. I love the smell of this and the scent lingers on the skin.

Lush retread conditioner sample- WMBA as full size. Not sure how much it did for my hair but did like the smell and the scent lingered.

Lush cynthia sylvia stout beer shampoo sample - WBA as full size when ive finished my current lush shampoo, i actually quite liked the smell of this in use and my hair seems to like it.

Lush yellow fun sample - WMBA i dic like the scent of this but its quite subtle and didnt linger much. I used it in shower as soap and it did me a few showers. I think i prefer shower gel though so will probably use my full size bars as bath bubbles or for shaving.

Next velvet bloom eau de toilette 30ml - WBA if i can get hold of more! I actually nearly cried at finishing this as i love the scent. Kicking myself that i didnt get a 100ml as its such a lovely scent and its been discontinued now i think :( the bottle is really pretty too.

TBS cherry blossom eau de toilette 10ml - WBA and already have more in stash. I like the smell of this one, its quite a light scent so i wore it a lot for work.

TBS white musk libertine eau de toilette 10ml - WBA and have more stashed. One of my favourite scents when i want something lighter and pretty. The scent seems to linger and last a good amount for the price.

Johnsons facial cleansing wipes (pale blue packet) - WBA when on offer, these are really good quality and nice thick wipes. Do the job well.

I also have a ton of ins as my friend posted out the lush she had got and kept for me while i had no address for nearly 2 months. They are in drawer under my bed so will declare those tomorrow when i can get them out as cant remember it all! Was a lovely house warming/welcome home parcel :D
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2015/2016/2017/2018

UUs for 2016: 513 In's: 447 UUs for 2017: 207 Ins: 161
    UUs for 2018: In's:
    Self Confessed Lush Addict!
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi ladies - some really interesting conversations.

I buy makeup that I don't have the confidence to wear, in the belief that the makeup will give me the confidence. To be fair, over the last 5 years I have learnt (thank you Youtube) to apply good neutral makeup for everyday, but I still don't dare to wear bright eyeshadow and strong lipstick. That doesn't stop me buying them.

Had a major Near Purchasing Incident today in Boots in the Arndale centre - which is massive! There's probably more lipstick in there than in all of the shops in the whole of the North East put together! Anyway, I gave myself a stern talking to, as I've spent my October budget, and reapplied the (lovely) lipstick in my handbag and walked back out.

Nothing but LHJs at the moment, including a Lush shower gel which is making our whole house smell like the Lush shop. OH is unimpressed.

Lipsticks used to be my Achilles heel too until I got to the point where I was buying the same kind of colour over and over again looking for the MLBB colour and getting it completely wrong. Saying that this week I have pulled out a no 7 lippie and have new found love for it. It was bought on impulse. On a previous shopping trip with Emma we had gone into Boots when they were doing a lipstick matching service. I much preferred the lipstick Emma got and convinced myself that I really didn't like mine - I think it's called Soft Tulip. Anyway I've been applying it all week and have really liked it. Maybe it's Autumn appropriate.

Speaking of fragrance too I opened my Peppermint Cream goodies from the Yorkshire Soap Company this week and am finding that the body lotion is having the same effect as the Lush Christingle from last year. Once applied it is making my body so cold! Smells amazing though.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • gemmajenkins0208
    gemmajenkins0208 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2016 at 8:56AM
    EssexHebridean - Thank you so much for the hair tip! Ironically the shampoo I'm using is basically clear in colour anyway so I've got that part sorted! :o

I really didn't know if washing twice was really necessary but I will give it a shot from now on. My shampoo I'm currently using is on my UU list anyway :)

As for conditioner. Well, I haven't conditioned for about 2 years maybe? I know, naughty me! I don't have any conditioner right now and payday is still 2 weeks away but I will buy some as soon as I get paid :D

I also get my hair cut every 6 weeks and that can only be a good thing :o

Catherine/kate - me and you must be the same person. I feel that I don't wear the makeup I have as I don't have the confidence! :eek: :rotfl:

I have 1 more day at work today then I'm off until Monday so I think what I am going to do tomorrow morning with a couple hours of my spare time(and with a freshly clean face after showering :o ) is try applying some makeup. Mess around a bit and see what looks I can achieve with what I have. The products and tools I have should allow me to create some rather intricate looks, it's just seeing if my hands will play ball! :rotfl:

I'm going to watch some tutorials too. Some basic/everyday look ones and some more drastic ones such as how to do a smokey eye, proper going out makeup etc :o

If I achieve anything tomorrow morning I want to at least learn how to do my brows properly. I get them waxed frequently anyway when I go and have my nails done so if I "start the job" so to speak, may as well learn how to "finish it" :D
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Gemzie - good to hear you are finally in your new house.

I repainted my nails last night with Maybelline Really Rosy - an old favourite.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Another little IN:o

30g Lanoline Rosehip age defying eye crème – a TKMaxx purchase, seemed worth a try as I love Rosehip oil. 2/72

I seem to need a richer eye cream at night than I can wear under make up for daytime, so thought it worth a try.

Nails painted Illamasqua Raindrops, a pretty slightly pearlised light grey, really suits my skin tone.

while I have been away from home such a lot I have been applying a clear base and a top coat from my Sensationail kit, either leaving nails plain or adding one of my regular nail polishes on top and removing them with acetone free polish. I don't use the primer and only very lightly buff the nails and they don't seem to dry out and become weak in the same way as when I have a full salon application, now have really long nails that don't break:j
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • fixx
    fixx Posts: 792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Oooh, lots to catch-up on, but I've some UUs and Ins to report quickly:

UUs:
    - Catrice Nail expert nail hardener. WNBA. Was fine (as a base coat), and cheap, but nothing special.
    - Rituals Xiu Xi Calming body and massage oil. WNB. Nice scent, but just didn't sink in as well as other body oils (e.g. Elemis, Bio Oil) so was a bit annoying for a couple of hours after using. It was a gift though, and I did like using it.

Ins:
    Ok I've been a bit naughty here :o I went to the House of Fraser website to order some birthday pressies for people (all Urban Decay stuff), and this banner appeared with a special beauty offer - £20 for a big bag of goodies when you spend over £75... Not the pressies I was going to order weren't quite £75, so I ended up buying a hair mask for myself too :rotfl: In
    my defence, I've run out of hair masks, and using coconut oil has NOT been going well! So ins are:

- Origins Rich rewards Intensive Moisture treatment hair mask, + a free mini Origins GinZeng moisturiser
    - House Of Fraser All About Skincare Kit (the £20 bonus collection) which includes:
    Clarins Moisture Rich Body Lotion (100ml)
    Lancôme Advanced Genifique (7ml)
    Molton Brown Pink Pepper Body Wash (50ml)
    Roger & Gallet Aura Mirabilis Double Extract Serum (7ml)
    Elizabeth Arden Prevage Intensive Serum (5ml)
    Sisley Black Rose Mask (10ml)
    Elemis Ultra Rich Pro Collagen Marine Cream (15ml)
    Kiehls Midnight Recovery Concentrate (4ml)
    Murad Invisiblur (5ml)
    Erborian CC Crème (5ml)
    Shiseido Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate (10ml)
    Decleor Orexcellence Eye Cream (5ml)
    Decleor Orexcellence Youthful Oil Serum (5ml)
    I'm actually really happy with all of that, I have no mini skincare things left, and all the above will be used! So yeah...:p

On a less positive note, I also bought the Aldi beauty advent calendar, which I'm not so impressed by. I will use it all in December, but there are definitely better value ones out there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure