Tesla Powerwall 2

Options
Hi everyone,

Has anyone run the numbers now the pricing is out for the Powerwall 2 as to whether it makes sense in the UK?

Comments

• rugbyleaguesmate
    Options
    From a financial point of view appears waaaay too expensive. Mart I am sure will reply properly and there are lots of threads on it but between we simply do not produce/use enough electricity to justify.
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive:j:mad::hello:

July Solar target 769kw
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ChopperST wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Has anyone run the numbers now the pricing is out for the Powerwall 2 as to whether it makes sense in the UK?

Hiya Chopper, there's lots of chatting about home batts on this thread, but in short, the PWII will cost around £6.5k installed, so divided by useable capacity and warranted cycles, it's gonna cost approx 10p/kWh (£6,500 / (5,000 x 13.5)).

So, if you have lots of export, and lots of import at more than 10p, then it starts to breakeven, but in reality the export is worth 3.5-5p/kWh too, if metered, plus lost interest on capital etc etc.

If you don't import anything like the PWII capacity each day, or export enough to displace the import, then the numbers get harder to justify, and a smaller batt may be better, but will probably cost more proportionately.

So not too simple yet to work out, and you may want to wait a while and see how prices go. Also need some indication of actual life expectancy rather than just guesses at the moment.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Our system is SE facing and we are in Leeds so looking at our figures it wont work for us on a financial level, was hoping to divert some S&S ISA funds to the Powerwall but it wont pay sadly.

We are Tesla model 3 reservation holders so will just have to charge that on Sunny days instead and continue to use the Immersun for nominal savings.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Hiya Chopper, there are lots of battery systems, most much smaller than the PWII, and many modular so you cab add more later on.

For example there's the Enphase systems which are only 1.2kWh and about 350W charge/discharge.

So if the prices fall far enough for the smaller systems it might well be a good idea to buy then. I'm clearly quite passionate about batts and their future, but the time isn't right yet unless you generate and import a ton of leccy still, but we'll get there. Australia is leading the charge as they have great generation, but also very high import prices, so the industry is developing, but it's probably where PV was 5yrs ago, so patience is needed in the UK. Drat!

All the best.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I'm clearly quite passionate about batts and their future, but the time isn't right yet unless
    You can afford to be an early adopter and start the chain of scale price reduction?
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • rugbyleaguesmate
    Options
    Hiya Chopper, there are lots of battery systems, most much smaller than the PWII, and many modular so you cab add more later on.

For example there's the Enphase systems which are only 1.2kWh and about 350W charge/discharge.

So if the prices fall far enough for the smaller systems it might well be a good idea to buy then. I'm clearly quite passionate about batts and their future, but the time isn't right yet unless you generate and import a ton of leccy still, but we'll get there. Australia is leading the charge as they have great generation, but also very high import prices, so the industry is developing, but it's probably where PV was 5yrs ago, so patience is needed in the UK. Drat!

All the best.
    OK Mart you can see that I am able to generate a lot of eleccy, but still appear to be consuming a lot also, say £30 a month, is this close to making a battery viable for me yet?
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive:j:mad::hello:

July Solar target 769kw
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    OK Mart you can see that I am able to generate a lot of eleccy, but still appear to be consuming a lot also, say £30 a month, is this close to making a battery viable for me yet?

Hiya, I've replied on the batt thread, just to keep thoughts together, just click the white chevron:-
    Hiya. My thoughts.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure