PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Where in SE to buy for £190,000

1235»

Comments

• LadyL2013
    LadyL2013 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I really think Medway is getting an unfair reputation here. Rochester is mainly all nice, the Lordswood/Walderslade area of Chatham is decent too and Rainham is great. Strood towards Higham is good too. Certainly the Gillingham town centre area is rough as is Luton Road of Chatham and the Darnley Road area of Strood, but other than that, everywhere else is fine or good. Medway has seen a massive influx of commuters and so there has been a lot of money coming into the area (hence the gentrification of Rochester High Street).

How do people feel about Gravesend?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 April 2017 at 10:20AM
    LadyL2013 wrote: »

I'm tempted by the new Dessert bar just opened on the corner as you come in to the town centre from Higham direction. :)

The newly refurbished clocktower looks nice.

Seriously though, I tend to agree with you that with one or two exceptions, most parts of most of these areas are broadly similar.

However, with the OP's Son's budget, he will be looking only at flats, and some of these areas have lots of good flats that are either interesting (period properties, water-side, etc.) or newish build. Some, however, have few flats, and what there is is mostly ex-social housing built in the 50s & 60s (much of Rochester and Rainham is like this).
  • LadyL2013 wrote: »

I moved here 5 years ago as i could not afford anywhere in Bexleyheath where I previously lived or Surrey where I work and I love it living here. I mainly moved here to be near the river but there's far more to the town than that.

There are areas in the town which are rougher than others but I feel quite safe walking home from the station late at night and my property has increased nicely in the 5 years.

But the best part for me is that the people generally seem far more friendly than in other areas I've lived (even to people saying hello when you pass them in the street or park) and also the council arrange lots of local events. There is a large music day down by the river each year and just recently a massive (and all-inviting) Sikh festival in the town as well as a St George's Day parade.

The A2 runs near the town so we can be through the Dartford Tunnel within 15 minutes and the fast trains stop at Gravesend (and Ebbsfleet is nearby) so you can be in London with 15 minutes (if you don't mind paying the higher fares). There are also two big building projects planned which will bring in thousands of new jobs in the area in the next few years.

Apologies if this sounds like an advert for Gravesend but moving here is one decision I'm glad I made.
  • LadyL2013
    LadyL2013 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I'm tempted by the new Dessert bar just opened on the corner as you come in to the town centre from Higham direction. :)

The newly refurbished clocktower looks nice.

Seriously though, I tend to agree with you that with one or two exceptions, most parts of most of these areas are broadly similar.

However, with the OP's Son's budget, he will be looking only at flats, and some of these areas have lots of good flats that are either interesting (period properties, water-side, etc.) or newish build. Some, however, have few flats, and what there is is mostly ex-social housing built in the 50s & 60s (much of Rochester and Rainham is like this).

He can easily get a house for that budget in Medway. I had a smaller budget than him and I was looking at 1 or 2 bedroom houses in the area (decent areas) and also large maisonettes. It's perfectly doable with his budget.
    sue911186 wrote: »
    I moved here 5 years ago as i could not afford anywhere in Bexleyheath where I previously lived or Surrey where I work and I love it living here. I mainly moved here to be near the river but there's far more to the town than that.

There are areas in the town which are rougher than others but I feel quite safe walking home from the station late at night and my property has increased nicely in the 5 years.

But the best part for me is that the people generally seem far more friendly than in other areas I've lived (even to people saying hello when you pass them in the street or park) and also the council arrange lots of local events. There is a large music day down by the river each year and just recently a massive (and all-inviting) Sikh festival in the town as well as a St George's Day parade.

The A2 runs near the town so we can be through the Dartford Tunnel within 15 minutes and the fast trains stop at Gravesend (and Ebbsfleet is nearby) so you can be in London with 15 minutes (if you don't mind paying the higher fares). There are also two big building projects planned which will bring in thousands of new jobs in the area in the next few years.

Apologies if this sounds like an advert for Gravesend but moving here is one decision I'm glad I made.

Good to know, I'll be moving to Gravesend in the near future if all the papers go through OK. What area are you in?
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    I'd really like to know what people feel about Wokingham?
  • Thanks so much for all your replies and opinions it's really useful to know which areas are nicer and which aren't so nice.
    Redhill kind of area is way above his budget it seems to have gone up in price a lot over the last year or so.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Towser wrote: »
    I'd really like to know what people feel about Wokingham?

I'm sure it's fine. However, there's only one "normal" property in budget on RightMove.
  • Thanks again for all your useful knowledge on specific areas 🙂
    He is now looking at flats/apartments as he will be able to get a 2 bed flat in a nicer area than being able to afford a 2 bed house (if that makes sense)
    So for example there seem to be a few affordable 2 bed flats/apartments in and around Maidstone within his budget which is probably more central for him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure