Whats the cheapest way to feed my cat?

Comments

• Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Originally Posted by Sequeena viewpost.gif
    Raw food is brilliant though it's hard to find the right balance. If you don't research it properly you may end up killing the cat because they're not getting what they need (not aimed at you btw just a general observation).

I think it would be pretty hard to actually KILL a cat by feeding it raw, but I agree some research is needed to make sure one is feeding a balance of meat to bone etc

Thanks for the link princessleah...I think the 400g tins still work out cheaper and are probably more practical as I feed 4 cats at a time.

I didn't mean you would kill a cat by feeding it raw food :p - you'll kill a cat by not getting the balance between muscle/meat/bone right :p I think they need to have taurine supplements when on a raw diet, not too sure as I don't feed it :confused:
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    taxi97w wrote: »
    Like humans, if cats eat only meat the chances of getting cancer are v high indeed. Try adding a teaspoon of baby food or wholemeal breadcrumbs into their protein so that they get a balanced diet. Vitamins A & C found in fruit and veg are anti-oxidants & the E vitamin is also an anit-oxidant found in fish oils etc - great for fighting & warding off cancer.

I'd be interested in a reference to a published study please on the cancer link and breadcrumbs.
    Sequeena wrote: »
    I didn't mean you would kill a cat by feeding it raw food :p - you'll kill a cat by not getting the balance between muscle/meat/bone right :p I think they need to have taurine supplements when on a raw diet, not too sure as I don't feed it :confused:

There is fair bit of taurine in dark meat, and plenty in heart - the raw mixes from Food4Cats all contain heart, or try Morrisons or a traditional butcher.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • I have six cats, 4 grown ups and 2 kittens, (had to have one put down last year was 19 due to illness) All of mine have dried food(any that tesco has on offer) left out all day and lots of water as have always been told by vet this is best for them. They get treats every other day, either cooked chicken or tinned catfood. They are all very healthy have lovley thick sleek coats, are never ill, none have had to visit the vets since they were neutered. and all my perevious cats have lived for a very long time i think 18 was the youngest.
  • I feed my cat very very cheap 'sandwich tuna' 3 cans for £1 ( each can 170g) 'human food' or sardines in brine a supermarket has it at 3 for £1 at the mo. 100% meat none of this 4 % rubbish. Half a can with her good value dried 70% meat biccies every day. ( £7 for 1.5kgs pets at home own) Can't beat it for price against content?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    CrimeWave wrote: »
    I feed my cat very very cheap 'sandwich tuna' 3 cans for £1 ( each can 170g) 'human food' or sardines in brine a supermarket has it at 3 for £1 at the mo. 100% meat none of this 4 % rubbish. Half a can with her good value dried 70% meat biccies every day. ( £7 for 1.5kgs pets at home own) Can't beat it for price against content?

Sorry to rain on your parade but tinned fish intended for human consumption should only be given to a pet as an occasional treat as it is high in salt, especially if canned in brine.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • ...agree with firefox - fish in brine is far too salty, other than as an occasional treat, and cats kidneys are delicate...
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    I have to agree with fire fox and foreign correspondent :)
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    I'd be interested in a reference to a published study please on the cancer link and breadcrumbs.

Sorry, no study, just common sense. Bread (wholemeal) contains fibre-good for warding of bowel cancer etc. Mix a teaspoon of the crumbs into the main meal, same with the vegetable baby food.

Cheap cod fish blocks (cant remember what they're called), come in singular packs,packs of 2 or 4, can be microwaved for 2 mins each side-these are reasonable cheap and no excess salt.
    more dollar$ than sense
  • Claire_Bear
    Claire_Bear Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Maybe, I was standing there looking at all the different types of catfood we sell and comparing meat quantity etc (I mean working hard, of course :A ) so I might be getting confused between them all, but from what I remember there was some Happy Shopper or similar brand pate tins with 4%, Smokies pouches were 40%, and the FF tuna tins were 70%. I'm in tomorrow though so I'll write it all down and report back. Might pick up a pack of the FF to try it, and just give a tin as an occassional treat.

Bought a pack of the FF tuna today, just got back and gave Pepsi a can, she absolutely loved it. It looked to me like a cross between corned beef and chocolate sponge :rotfl:

Anyway, I went and wrote down all the catfood we sell . Here's a little breakdown :)

Smokie pouches 100g. 25p each. 4 per day.
    £1 per day. 10% meat.

Smokie trays. 100g. 25p each. 3 per day. (I have no idea why you need to feed less of these than the pouches when they're the same weight?! That's just what the packet said though.)
    75p per day. 5% meat.

Feline Fayre tuna tins. 4x 170g. 99p. 2 per day.
    50p per day. 70% meat.

Feline Fayre pouches. 8x 85g pouches. £1.79. 3 per day.
    67p per day. 60% meat.

Euro shopper pate trays. 100g. 20p each. 3 per day.
    60p per day. 10% meat.

Bitscat pouches (instructions and ingredients in foreign) 6x 100g. 99p. 3 per day (I'm guessing)
    50p per day. 8% meat.

This is B&M in case anyone is wondering :) So the Feline Fayre tuna tops the list on both price and meat content. I'm currently feeding Pepsi Whiskas pouches which are 4% meat, and at 50p per day (but this is only because I got them on Asda's special offer of £4 for 24), they seem very poor indeed in comparison! Even if I got the Whiskas Oh So... pouches from the Morissons offer (50p per day, 40% meat) it isn't as good, but I'd want a bit of variety and wouldn't want her to get bored of just having the tuna flavour all the time. I'll definately be stocking up on some more of the FF though, even though it smells awful
    D'you know, in 900 years of space and time, I've never met anyone who wasn't important
    The Doctor
    Taste The Rainbow :heartsmil
  • Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    Wish we had a B&M here. Is feline fayre those blue pouches in asda? With real chunks of fish? If so, my older cat won't eat it though could try her again.

She has been a Whiskas/Felix cat ever since I got her, though she won't touch Felix anymore, it's just being left out to go mouldy and normally she scoffs the lot, and the other cat is more of a biscuit guy, so only eats a TINY bit of wet.

Anyhow, I ended up having to go to Lidl and buy Opticat pouches because she is point blank refusing the tinned felix (switched to tins as cheaper)

Funny how she'll eat the Lidl stuff though, licked the bowl clean. I think Its my fault for feeding her that gourmet pearl stuff, she has fancier tastes!

Must get the FF to try again. thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport