A question for Jobseekers.

Comments

• ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    annandale wrote: »
    And here come the benefit bashers. There are many people on benefits who work. Universal credit is an in work benefit and even those who aren't in work and on uc have to do up to a 35 hour a week job search

And evidence that they have done so. I know people on uc who volunteer 30 hours a week.

Numerous people on uc work part time.

I'm really not sure given that

The original OP was asking specifically about the unemployed and what the individual should have to do to prove/earn the benefit. Nothing to do with in work benefits, hence my response.

Personally, there shouldn't be ANY in work benefits (other than possibly an apprenticeship allowance for in work training/college release). If someone can't afford to live on the wage they're being paid employers wouldn't be able to recruit.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Universal credit gets reduced by 63 p in every pound if someone is working. And it will reduce to zero if someone earns enough.

The basic uc is 250 pounds a month. 317 if someone is over 25. If everyone could afford to live on the wage they were being paid no one would ever claim working tax credits. Or universal credit

There are millions of people who claim in work benefit's to top up poor pay.

The minimum wage for some people depending on age is less than five pounds an hour.
  • annandale
    People who are on uc are counted in the unemployment figures. Unless you earn 35 hours a week times min wage and you are on uc you have to see a work coach and have job search requirements.

Even someone on uc who isnt working at all has to do 35 hours a week jobsewrch
  • annandale
    Job search. And be able to evidence this. Its not easy as you seem to suggest. And your comments about people not turning up raising the benefits for others. Nonsense. That would never happen.

It's clear from your comments that you know nothing about being a job seeker

There are people on zero hours contracts who might get two hours one week and ten the next

According to you these people shouldn't be able to claim benefits to top up their wages?

Some people only take jobs because WTC tops them up.

Maybe if you currently worked at 16 hours a week you might get that.

Doubt it though. My original post was to the person spoke about workhouses.

But clearly you have your views on poverty and the unrmployed.

Anyway must dash. Chimney to sweep and litter to pick
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In answer to one of your original questions, since deleted.

To be entitled to benefits, claimants should get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before they go to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day in a mill or coalmine , and pay the mill or mine owner for permission to come to work, and when they get home, their family must kill them and dance about on their graves singing Hallelujah.

That would sort the scroungers out!!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • annandale
    I'm on universal credit. If I don't work I get 317 a month. If I do work I get my wages then for every pound I earn 63p is deducted from my universal credit.

If you are in a situation where you work zero hours and are being offered 4-8 hours a week min wage as I was last year if you don't get any top up you are living below what the govt says you should be living on. People have always been allowed to work and claim benefits.

Years ago I worked part time and claimed JSA. I declared my earnings and kept five pounds plus my benefit.

Five years ago I worked 9 hours a week and I was on min wage. Which was 6.50 at the time. i stayed on jsa until I got 13 hours and signed off.

It is nonsensical to say there shouldn't be a top up because on the one hand people are being condemned for being lazy. But told that people shouldn't get top up benefits ruling them out of part time work.

So it's better to sit and do nothing and sign on and pick litter than it is to work part time and claim uc or jsa?

People on jsa are being forced to move over to uc anyway. And as I said above it's not just sitting doing zero. You have to do up to 35 hours a week jobsearch depending on whether you volunteer or work as well.

It's not the same as just turning up and signing your name once a fortnight. Nothing like it.
  • annandale
    I've done loads of voluntary work over the years. I've worked with people who have suffered abuse. I've volunteered for sacro. I've worked in the Red Cross.

I'm currently volunteering online giving advice to people who are new to universal credit and want questions answered.

I have a degree, two post grads. I'm a qualified PT. I have my sia badge.

Most of the work I've done over the last year has been zero hours. And during the summer it's more or less full time.

Other times it's 4-8 hours a week.

Do people honestly think that people who are motivated to volunteer in times where they aren't working full time really need to be told that they should go out and litter pick two days a week to get their benefit?

It's hard enough out there as it is without someone piping up that they'd have people out sweeping streets!

Oh and by the way. Some people are made to go into schemes where they work for their benefit.

I was working for a gym last year who take all their staff on on self employed contracts. You have to pay them a licence fee of 240 yearly.

The only money you get is if people take out personal training. Which is optional.

One lad made 60 pounds in six months.

This is the sort of work practices people are up against. But instead of employers being criticised for paying poor wages.

It's the fault of the person working in that job.

There were reports that some self employed workers for deliveroo were making two pounds an hour.

It's shameful. Don't tar everyone who is unemployed with the lazy brush because it's not true.
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2017 at 6:10PM
    It is nonsensical to say there shouldn't be a top up because on the one hand people are being condemned for being lazy. But told that people shouldn't get top up benefits ruling them out of part time work.

So it's better to sit and do nothing and sign on and pick litter than it is to work part time and claim uc or jsa?

IMO Yes.

I would rather job seekers received benefits for not working than businesses received subsidies to pay unliveable wages.

I think the only 'in work benefit' should be any interim payments needed to support someone who's just accepted a job until they get their first pay check (paying for work clothes, travel permit and receiving the normal JSA/LHA/CTR payment every two weeks until the first payday)

BUT I think job seekers should receive no money if they turn down a job that they can do (like the old job shops).
    I have a degree, two post grads. I'm a qualified PT. I have my sia badge.
    And in all that education they didn't teach you how to use paragraphs or structure an argument? What has the education system come to?;)
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • Gotta love this side of the forum, guaranteed argument even when we all know its a troll thread.
  • annandale
    Ive got issues with my vision at present and was posting on a tiny phone.

But after you've finished having a dig I'd just like to let you know that universal credit isn't like working tax credits. Employers don't even need to know that an employee is on uc. They don't get subsidies for taking staff on.

Your employer doesn't need to know that you are on UC. Mine didn't. My earnings got reported automatically by HMRC to the job centre.

Rather than making digs at my lack of education maybe you should do some research on universal credit. Its nothing like wtc and the last employer I worked for paid more than minimum wage. Neither did they get any subsidies. I had the job before I claimed universal credit.

People don't always get funds to pay for work clothes. Its discretionary. People can also claim support with rent until their first wage but there are conditions attached, how long you've been on benefit without a break in the claim is one.

As for signing on until you get your first wage I believe you are expected to sign off when you start work and not when your first pay comes in.

People can and do get sanctioned for refusing jobs.

Maybe do some research on what universal credit is. The post you made above is factually incorrect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure