PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

tenant left furniture

2»

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    toddis wrote: »
    The PO was for the 12th and he left on the 9th. Maybe because he didn't want me to wave him goodbye when I collected the keys? - Or when he refused to move and you had to hire bailiffs?

He could return to do the cleaning? That made me laugh! I don't think he cleaned since moving in!

The point being that it wasn't your property at that point and you should not have risked it. For your own good.

Had he returned and not gained access he could've caused you a very expensive headache
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 64
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    The point being that it wasn't your property at that point and you should not have risked it. For your own good.

Had he returned and not gained access he could've caused you a very expensive headache

Even though he admitted he's vacated early? The PO stated that he needed to be left on or before the 12th
  • Guest101
    Even though he admitted he's vacated early? The PO stated that he needed to be left on or before the 12th

Ok, here we go.

1: just because an order says so, doesn't mean it will happen. You would have needed bailiffs to come to ensure that he had left. Or remove him.

2: You seem to think that texts can only be sent by the owner of the phone. Do you not consider that it could be anyone, or he could claim it could've been anyone. - IE then claim you illegally evicted him?
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Ok, here we go.

1: just because an order says so, doesn't mean it will happen. You would have needed bailiffs to come to ensure that he had left. Or remove him.

2: You seem to think that texts can only be sent by the owner of the phone. Do you not consider that it could be anyone, or he could claim it could've been anyone. - IE then claim you illegally evicted him?

2. The same is true of anything short of a phone call or notice in person - Indeed, any kind of written notice can be faked (if someone can send a text from your phone, then they can probably send an email, - and either of those can be spoofed fairly easily. Letters have *no* security whatsoever), and yet the world still functions. There's a reasonable presumption that a text from his number is actually from him, especially since he actually left the keys! (I presume the LL would have mentioned it if not)
  • Guest101
    DumbMuscle wrote: »
    2. The same is true of anything short of a phone call or notice in person - Indeed, any kind of written notice can be faked (if someone can send a text from your phone, then they can probably send an email, - and either of those can be spoofed fairly easily. Letters have *no* security whatsoever), and yet the world still functions. There's a reasonable presumption that a text from his number is actually from him, especially since he actually left the keys! (I presume the LL would have mentioned it if not)

True, so we go to the contract..... Does the tenancy agreement provide for any service of notice via mobile telephone text messaging? - Its unlikely.

So I'm not sure what reasonable assumption you claim to make, or the case law surrounding that? perhaps you'd be kind enough to share? or is it simply your opinion?

- you see my advice is trying to protect the OP from a civil claim of £300 per day for illegal eviction.....
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    He texted to say he was out and most importantly, he left the keys as he said he did in his text, quite a strong indication that he was indeed surrendering his lease and not intending to come back.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    OK, so the tenant owes you somewhere north of £5k.

You can, I assume, document this fully - so the deposit can be claimed from the protection scheme anyway, whatever this text may or may not have said. Notice has now expired, and the possession date passed, so possession is with you legally.

Lovely, an' all. But the real question here is what are your chances of ever seeing a penny of that money? Whether it's £5k or £6k or £9k is almost irrelevant. Document all the losses, submit a court claim, win a judgement... and... <fanfare turns into raspberry> then what?
  • toddis
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    OK, so the tenant owes you somewhere north of £5k.

You can, I assume, document this fully - so the deposit can be claimed from the protection scheme anyway, whatever this text may or may not have said. Notice has now expired, and the possession date passed, so possession is with you legally.

Lovely, an' all. But the real question here is what are your chances of ever seeing a penny of that money? Whether it's £5k or £6k or £9k is almost irrelevant. Document all the losses, submit a court claim, win a judgement... and... <fanfare turns into raspberry> then what?

Well....I've given him 2 CCJs, I have an N39 ready to serve and once I'm settled with a new tenant, I'll turn my attention to serving the N39 and will get him in court to answer a few questions. I'll see where he stands financially and take it from there.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Well....I've given him 2 CCJs, I have an N39 ready to serve and once I'm settled with a new tenant, I'll turn my attention to serving the N39 and will get him in court to answer a few questions. I'll see where he stands financially and take it from there.
    Lovely, an' all.

But - apart from a sense of satisfaction and a bigger legal bill - will that actually bring any money in?
  • toddis
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Lovely, an' all.

But - apart from a sense of satisfaction and a bigger legal bill - will that actually bring any money in?

Thats the $64 million dollar question...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure