PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Panasonic Breadmakers Tips and Quick Questions Thread

Penelope_Penguin
Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 6 July 2017 at 11:59AM in Old style MoneySaving
We get a lot of quickfire questions and tips about Panasonic breadmakers, and I thought it would be a good idea to try to keep them all on one thread.

Please try to keep this to tips and quick questions about Panasonic BMs, rather than discussion.

Other threads you might find useful are:

I am in love with my Panasonic breadmaker

Is it worth buying a breadmaker?

The complete breadmaking collection

The Morphy Richards Fastbake BM club

Penny. x

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:

Comments

• weegie_2
    weegie_2 Posts: 312
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Getting my panasonic b/maker next week and soooo looking forward to it.

Quick Question - best flours/yeast to buy? Have all the usual supermarkets beside me so I can take my pick (but would prefer ASDA as I get staff discount). Looking for one that is reasonably priced. Is there any I should avoid that don't give good results?
  • I use adsa own brand white bread flour, it's a good price, and no problems with it so far. I am also using dove's organic wholemeal breadflour, but I got a good stock of it when it was in asda for about 50p a bag.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• millie
    millie Posts: 1,439
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I use adsa own brand white bread flour, it's a good price, and no problems with it so far. I am also using dove's organic wholemeal breadflour, but I got a good stock of it when it was in asda for about 50p a bag.

I use exactly the same as 'trying very trying', and I get Adsa discount too. I always use Hovis yeast in the green sachets but Asda seem to have stopped selling this brand so I get that from Morrisons now. Get good results with this combination so am loath to try anything else.
  • I have to say I was disapointed in Asda own brand flour. My loaves varied too much for me. Lidl flour for me everytime.

As for the yeast, I only use fresh yeast from the bakers section of ASDA. They give it away free in small quantities if you ask. Swap it out like for like and it works brilliant even on a timer.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Can I just ask a quick question, made dough in mine the other night for breadbuns for sons packups. Took it out of breadmaker, let it rise, shaped into rolls, they were really heavy - my husband said don't feed them to the ducks - they'll sink!!!! Should I have knocked back the dough first before shaping or was I just unlucky? Thanks
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • Peckedhen
    Peckedhen Posts: 122 Forumite
    I am having more success with the Hovis ready mixes than my own mix - I have tried Lidl Asda and Dove flour and am using the dove yeast in the orange packet. I bought some ascorbic acid tablets (Vitamin C) today and added one (crushed) but it hasn't made any difference. Should I be adding more than one tablet?:confused:
    Preemie hats 9 :j
  • mhe
    mhe Posts: 418 Forumite
    HELP - I make the 50/50 dough as per the instructions and wiegh everything very carefully. Have tried ASDA, tesco, allinson and Dove flour but its made no difference - all bread tastes heavy and rolls spread outwards rather than rise up. The wheatgerm loaf and oat loaf were particular disasters (bricks!!). Everyone else is raving about their panny and i cant produce anything nice in mine. We eat it cos thats all there is but to be honest the bread consumption in our house has plummeted as no one like my bread:embarasse . What am i doing wrong? :confused:
    "With no money you start to discover your own inner resource" GK Chesterton
    2 adults, 3 children
  • Change your yeast, it sound like it's not doing it's magic for you. Yeast makes it lighter.

If it's still heavy after you change your yeast, add half a teaspoon extra of sugar.

Rolls are harder to master, mixing it then let it rise once. Remove from mixing bowl then knock down and let rise to double it's size before cooking, this should help.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am also using the Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal from the Asda offer, I make the 50/50 wholemeal/white bread with that and Asda white strong bread flour and it works beautifully. I swap butter for a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and the sugar for a tablespoon and a bit of honey. I am currently using Sainsbury's little packets of yeast.

So far the Panasonic has been pretty foolproof (other than when this fool forgot the paddle and forgot to add the dried fruit for fruit rolls!).

I make the spiced loaf recipe into rolls and they are lovely!
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • Can I just ask a quick question, made dough in mine the other night for breadbuns for sons packups. Took it out of breadmaker, let it rise, shaped into rolls, they were really heavy - my husband said don't feed them to the ducks - they'll sink!!!! Should I have knocked back the dough first before shaping or was I just unlucky? Thanks

Can I ask which recipe you're using? That way we can see what improvements you might make ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport