Is it possible to Excel for cheap or even free?

Options
I love using excel at work, and want to use it at home for budgeting etc. However for what I plan to use it for v the annual cost isn't value for money. It's ridiculously expensive for what it is - I actually feel it's a rip off.

Is there a way to get it cheaper? Is there a way to get it so you pay a one off fee as opposed to an annual fee?

Comments

• ossie
    ossie Posts: 354 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]If you want to work offline download and install OpenOffice. Its free.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]You can save all your files as excel or word files.[/FONT]
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can use excel for free as part of outlook webmail online

Otherwise id suggest using open office unless you have a child at a school that hand out free education licences
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any reason why you need commercial software rather than one of the free equivalents?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    Is your work offering access to the Home Use Program? If so, you can get Office Professional Plus 2016 for £9.95
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/d/office-home-student-2016/cfq7ttc0k5fc

£120

Also avaliable form various other sellers on the internet
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Any reason why you need commercial software rather than one of the free equivalents?
    I've used Open Office, and of late Libre Office for years myself with no problem. Unless the user has some specific need for Excel / MS Office, and that would be something more complicated than simple file type compatibility because as already said, the free options can work with Excel files, then I can't see why anyone pays for an office suite.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you have Windows 10, the mobile versions of the Office apps are free : https://products.office.com/en-gb/mobile/office-mobile-apps-for-windows
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JoshyBoy wrote: »
    It's ridiculously expensive for what it is - I actually feel it's a rip off.

Please feel free to set up your own software company with thousands of employees and all the costs that incurs and spend 3-4 years getting them to write your own version to an equivalent functionality that Excel has and then tell me that what they charge is expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure