Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bonniem13 wrote: »
    :beer:

Ahh- have just remembered periods of reduced interest and one spell of 6 months interest free. Does that count as money being written off?

No. Written off means the debt was reduced as a part of an agreed settlement.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • minimurph
    Options
    Hi, I wrote to Barclaycard using the template letter from MSE requesting a copy of the original T&Cs and my original credit agreement. I sent them a cheque for £1 as the account is still open, but inactive as I paid the balance off some time ago. Barclaycard sent me a copy of terms and conditions in the post with no covering letter and nothing referencing whether they were the current T&Cs or the original ones I had signed up to at the time of taking out the account. I wrote to them again asking for a copy of my credit agreement and they wrote back to me saying that they had conducted an investigation of my account and couldn't find any evidence of me paying PPI and that if I wanted any more information I would have to pay £10 for a full breakdown of my account. Can they refuse to send me my credit agreement unless I pay £10 if my account is still open? I opened it in 2003 so I'm wondering if they don't have a copy of my credit agreement anymore?! If I haven't paid PPI then I'm glad but I wanted to check for sure because I've found the box for PPI ticked on two other credit cards I was convinced didn't have PPI on!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    minimurph wrote: »
    Hi, I wrote to Barclaycard using the template letter from MSE requesting a copy of the original T&Cs and my original credit agreement. I sent them a cheque for £1 as the account is still open, but inactive as I paid the balance off some time ago. Barclaycard sent me a copy of terms and conditions in the post with no covering letter and nothing referencing whether they were the current T&Cs or the original ones I had signed up to at the time of taking out the account. I wrote to them again asking for a copy of my credit agreement and they wrote back to me saying that they had conducted an investigation of my account and couldn't find any evidence of me paying PPI and that if I wanted any more information I would have to pay £10 for a full breakdown of my account. Can they refuse to send me my credit agreement unless I pay £10 if my account is still open? I opened it in 2003 so I'm wondering if they don't have a copy of my credit agreement anymore?! If I haven't paid PPI then I'm glad but I wanted to check for sure because I've found the box for PPI ticked on two other credit cards I was convinced didn't have PPI on!

You don't need your agreement to complain about PPI and it may not be relevant anyway as PPI was often added later via a sales phone call.

Just look on your statements which will show if you paid PPI or not. The bank have presumably done this and confirmed you didn't. They are saying if you don't believe them you can pay £10 for a DSAR (request for all the data they hold on you) which will include your statements

If you had an account and paid off in full every month you could have PPI but never actually pay any PPI
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can they refuse to send me my credit agreement unless I pay £10 if my account is still open?

A court case made it clear a few years back that the lender can recreate one and do not need to have the original.
    If I haven't paid PPI then I'm glad but I wanted to check for sure because I've found the box for PPI ticked on two other credit cards I was convinced didn't have PPI on!

The agreement wont likely show if you had PPI or not. Most Credit Card PPI was added post sale or was not included on the agreement as it is a standalone product with variable premium and not fixed, like a loan would be.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Sam_Bam
    Sam_Bam Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am about to embark on a new PPI claim on a Nat West credit card, with the oldest statement dating back to Dec 1990. Not sure if I had the PPI before this date, so if I put this date and it does date back further, will the bank inform me of this and refund accordingly?
    Also, the Resolver tool asks for the last 4 digits of the account number, but this changed each time the credit card was renewed. I.E. same credit card with 4 different account numbers. How do I put this into Resolver? Hope that I don't need to claim for each account number?
    Many thanks
    Sam Bam
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    Sam_Bam wrote: »
    I am about to embark on a new PPI claim on a Nat West credit card, with the oldest statement dating back to Dec 1990. Not sure if I had the PPI before this date, so if I put this date and it does date back further, will the bank inform me of this and refund accordingly?
    Also, the Resolver tool asks for the last 4 digits of the account number, but this changed each time the credit card was renewed. I.E. same credit card with 4 different account numbers. How do I put this into Resolver? Hope that I don't need to claim for each account number?
    Many thanks
    Sam Bam

If records still exist, the bank will know how long you had it on your card.

If it's one continuous account then just use the most recent digits, the bank should know the rest
  • Sam_Bam
    Sam_Bam Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Just another quick question before I send the complaint off. I have some of the credit card statements (about 20 over 6 years) which show the 'card payment protector' payments I made. Should I include these as attachements with my claim? There are a lot of pages, and I don't have a statement for every month.
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    Sam_Bam wrote: »
    Just another quick question before I send the complaint off. I have some of the credit card statements (about 20 over 6 years) which show the 'card payment protector' payments I made. Should I include these as attachements with my claim? There are a lot of pages, and I don't have a statement for every month.

You can do and mention you have other statements, they may ask for copies later if they don't have records and they can do a refund based on average spend from the statements you have if needs be
  • Hermit
    Hermit Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I noticed in a response that PPI was never sold on Business Loans. However, they were sold on business vehicle financing. I purchased - well, leased - a vehicle through Land Rover Finance a few years ago when I started a new business and PPI was included in the agreement. The business was a limited company and I was the guarantor for the finance agreement. Mid recession, I stopped trading and sold the vehicle back to Land Rover.

Can I reclaim PPI from Land Rover Finance despite not haveing any paper work and the agreement being in the name of my company?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hermit wrote: »
    Can I reclaim PPI from Land Rover Finance despite not haveing any paper work and the agreement being in the name of my company?
    On what basis would you complain about this insurance (which is not PPI)?

The fact that your company has been wound up is also fairly problematical.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure