Should I change the boiler

Hello,
we are in a process of renovating house we have recently bought. I was looking to change radiators but have been advised that I should change the boiler as well. It's an old system conventional boiler. seems to be working fine. I fear that the boiler will pack soon but who knows it may last a few years.

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 April 2015 at 1:27PM
    Difficult to say without more details. But if the boiler is pretty old then it may be worthwhile - apart from anything else, a newer boiler will be a lot more efficient than one that's, say, 20 years old, so you'll see some pretty reasonable savings in your fuel bills. And of course the - relative - peace of mind that it's not likely to break down any time soon ( though nothing's guaranteed ! ).

But equally, you could leave it and just replace it when it dies. In terms of labour cost there'll be negligible difference to replace it now or replace it further on down the line. The only thing that may sway your decision is where it's located. If it's in a kitchen, for instance, and you spend time and money decorating all around the boiler, you may need to re-decorate if you replace it later ( unless the new one is exactly the same size and shape ) - and you may not be able to find matching tiles, paper, whatever when the time comes.
  • The above are all excellent points.

If you have the spare budget at the end of your renovation then I suggest it would be well spent on a new boiler. However, make sure you get what you need finished first and get an opinion from a professional as to the age and condition of the current one.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • If the boiler does what you want and fitting new at later date will not cause disruption then leave as is.... Insure any works now accommodate future changeover is advisable pipe routing. access, size etc etc

Manufactures etc go on about “energy efficient ” but that’s not the same as “money saving” many older boilers run at the same efficiency as there newer counterparts as for breakdowns seen plenty of 15 + year old still going strong and seen plenty of new installs not its to an extent luck of the draw…

“If it isn’t broke don’t fix it “
  • wiseguy80
    wiseguy80 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Many thanks for all the replies. Got me thinking about some points I haven't thought before.

The properyt was extended in late 90's (1998) I think, and i guess it was updated then. It's a small boiler really and we will need to move some of the Kitchen cupboards. I wasn't looking to change kitchen at this stage since it is reasonable condition.

The only thing is that I wanted to replace some radiators which are very old so the plumber suggested I should change the boiler as well. Weighing up all the pros and cons, I think, I should leave it for now.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2015 at 3:22PM
    Boilers don't just 'pack up'. They're modular, and all components can be replaced, as long as parts are available. Whether it's economic to repair depends on the fault in question. Get it serviced and you will have a much better idea of it's life expectancy.
    Changing it just for the sake of it and it will take you a decade to recover the outlay in improved efficiency.
    Unless it's a Ferroli, in which case dump it tomorrow :eek:
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • tired_dad
    tired_dad Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    TBH I'm not sure its worth it. Old conventional boilers are simple creatures. Little to go wrong. Every few years a thermocouple might need replacing which is very simple to do. Ours is now 35y old. Service it every now and then.

New boiler = 3k expense. Lots of complex electronics. Lots to potentially go wrong.

When you do the maths carefully it takes some years to recoup the 3 k investment on the new boiler. Those calculations do not take into account the cost of repairs or life expectancy of the unit.

Our old conventional boiler is 35y old and still going strong. I don't know for sure but am told these new boilers won't last as long. I will change it but when it breaks not when a plumber needs 3k in his/her pocket.
  • audigex
    audigex Posts: 557 Forumite
    I'd agree with that too - my boiler and chest freezer are both older than I am, but they're simple and rugged and seem invincible.

The Freezer was previously my mum's and she looked at replacing it once around 10 years ago. She'd picked one out and was then offered the extended warranty, she declined on the grounds that her current one was 20+ years old at the time and had never gone wrong. "Ah" said the salesman, triumph in his eye, "but they don't make them like they used to!". "In that case, I'll keep the one I've got" says me mother, and leaves. Another 10 years on and it's still working fine.

The boiler is serviced every year, and even if it costs £100/year more in fuel it's still pointless replacing it and having to put £200/month back into my savings for a year to get back up to my contingency level (rather than overpaying the mortgage, which saves me more in the long run)
    "You did not pull yourself up by your bootstraps. You were lucky enough to come of age at a time when housing was cheap, welfare was generous, and inflation was high enough to wipe out any debts you acquired. I’m pleased for you, but please stop being so unbearably smug about it."
  • wiseguy80
    wiseguy80 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    So, bad luck for me. A day after moving in, saw that the boiler had locked out. It's an old Potterton Supprima 50 and there are widely reported issues of it's locking out.

Ponder it would have been nice if I had replaced it earlier now.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Relative of mine had the same issue and changed his old boiler which was working ok,it was twenty years old.
    Well he now wishes he had not done it,eighteen months old and seven boiler breakdowns and now told by the fitter it needs replacing again.
    If it's not broke leave it alone is a good motto
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Stories of newly fitted boilers breaking down every 2 months are so common, it's what stops me and no doubt 100s of thousands of others from modernising. Wonder why not one manufacturer offers a reputable and genuinely cost effective solution?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure