PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Application to Register a Restriction Against the Land

Panicking! A letter came for our landlord which we thought was for us, opened it and realised it was the above. Now panicking as we're in no position to move if we can avoid it!
WHat does it actually mean? Help?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I can't read the application from here.

What does it say?

IF it is to do with bankrupcy or repossession by mortgage lender, see

* Repossession: what if a LL's mortgage lender repossesses the property?

But more likely something else.
  • It says that a charge has been placed against the land due to failure to pay an IVA.

What are our rights if the property is repossed? We've lived here 2.5 years now. We are trying to move out and buy which is why we're not in a position to have to rent again!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It says that a charge has been placed against the land due to failure to pay an IVA.
    which simply means that if/when the owner (your landlord) sells the property, he will have to use the proceeds to pay off his debt.

What are our rights if the property is repossed?
    Sigh!

Read the link provided.
  • Apologies I've misunderstood then. Surely if they've failed an IVA the next step is potentially going bankrupt?
  • I have quite the white lie landlord. She's called us today to say it's nothing to be worried about its just to do with getting some permission to do some building work!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,775
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The house isn't being repossessed.

I'd read the link just in case, so that you are informed, but it is just a charge at the moment. GM has given you good advice and there really is little point worrying about something that isn't happening. :)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • We know it isn't being reposessed at the moment however we're trying to make sure we know for definate what can happen as this can not be a good thing.

It does seem unlikely though her explanation is true
  • I was going to suggest offering to buy this house off her - at a suitably reduced price.

But now she has lied to you - then she has shown herself as a potentially unreliable vendor. My thoughts are now turning as to whether - if the house gets re-possessed - you could buy it off a more reliable vendor (ie whichever firm it is that repossesses it). Maybe there is a potential deal to be done by a sitting tenant?

One thing to be grateful for - forewarned is forearmed and so it's a blessing that you did accidentally open that letter. At least you're "on guard" now - which you wouldnt have been if it wasnt for that mistake.
  • @moneyistooshorttomention - So it is a fib then? We thought it was. Thankfully we are in the process of buying a house already. That's why we're not in a position to find more rental accomadation. I wouldn't buy this house, I dred to think of the skeletons it holds. It's not in great repair, however the 'patch' jobs she's done make sense now with her lack of financial stability.

We'll just sit and wait and keep plugging on.

I've read the link so we're prepared and I've discussed with my husband what we can do if worse comes to worse so we do have a plan in place.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,775
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2016 at 8:18AM
    We know it isn't being reposessed at the moment however we're trying to make sure we know for definate what can happen as this can not be a good thing.

It does seem unlikely though her explanation is true

She's embarrassed, which is understandable. In the main, people lie to protect something. In this case, it will be her pride and your tenancy.

Other posters are rather imaginative and suspicious of everyone. Not a very healthy way to live. If they had Trump's money, I suspect they'd be involved in just as many potential law suits.

This isn't a forever tenancy and I'm sure everything will be fine before you move out under your steam. What would you choose to believe right now? That everything will be fine or worrying waiting for paperwork that may never turn up?

The only time you need to think about that is when it happens. Until then, it simply doesn't exist. Worrying changes nothing and thinking bad of your landlady doesn't either, except that it spoils your present moment.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure