Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,000Posts
    • 24,517Thanks
    thriftylass
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge
    • 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge 29th Aug 17 at 3:16 PM
    A warm and fuzzy autumnal welcome to the NST Super September Scrimping challenge, for newbies and seasoned debt busters alike.

(Don’t want the following to sound too harsh but I need it this month)

September means for many getting back into the swing of new school and work routines. Also, the colder months are looming and we should maybe consider starting to get ready for winter and the festivities or at least start a wee bit of forward planning.

The whole idea of this challenge is for you to start looking to where you WANT to be, consider why you aren’t at that point and start realising what is going WRONG. And also, I need you to help me because when I have people to answer to I won’t spend anything!

Seriously though – you can’t save for a house if you have debt. You can’t have a new kitchen if you can’t afford the food to put in it……………. you need to get a debt free day graved in stone and start aiming for it. Enough is enough. Christmas is but 16 weeks away – are you ready for that little charmer?

So again, I’d like to go back to basics and a few stricter rules back form NinjasavingKat’s days.

These are the rules….. clear and simple!

*This challenge starts on the 1st September at 00:01 and closes on the 30th September at 00:00.

*Try and check in once a day with your progress !

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!!

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also.

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left!

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. Mine is £350.

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself.

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now.

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do???

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything!

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies?

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc. We live in the north of Scotland in an 80s bungalow with metal windows. So it might be a challenge

That’s it… think you can keep up?

Contenders:
    1. thriftylass
    2. apple muncher
    3. greent
    4. DawnW
    5. determined new ms
    6. Calling14
    7. jojitsui
    8. misstara
    9. f0xh0les
    10. Tempus01
    11. 1LuckyLady
    12. cybertortoise
    13. dizzyblnd
    14. mothernerd
    15. Shakey87
    16. clippy_girl
    17. Fmess
    18. stoplurking
    19. ChasingSunshine
    20. Eager_Elephant
    21. Tjzdazz
    22. Kerry Woman
    23. FurryBeastOz
    24. Buffethedebtslayer
    25. bizzie
    26. squanderscouse
    27. Sun Addict
    28. LD_13
    29. NelliePie
    30. vintagebrighton
    31. indigowarrior
    32. crazy_cat_lady
    33. LollyPop0312
    34. foxgloves
    35. redofromstart
    36. Lauralozzle
    37. Abundant
    38. ooitsme
    39. threepenny bit

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:13 AM.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    Exercise 14/20 Amazon vouchers for xmas £0
    Debt - all 0% 1436 to go from 5290 (72% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
Page 2
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 30th Aug 17, 8:18 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 7,302 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Looks like a great challenge, Thrifty, but I'm on holiday for most of September so I don't think realistically I'll be able to join this month. However, I shall read every day and do the exercise, at least. Good luck, all.
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 30th Aug 17, 8:21 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Hi,

Can I join in too? Have slipped a lot with my MSE habits as life got in the way for last few months but keen to get back on track and rebuild my savings. This will be a spendy month as have a family wedding in Italy, another planned weekend away, lots of September birthdays and am moving house as well. Why do I do this to myself!!

Need the strictness of this challenge though so will get my budget and plans finalised ready for Friday. At least I know the beauty spends will be easy target as have drawers bulging with lotions and potions to use up
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 30th Aug 17, 9:17 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Hi Guys&Girls,

Count me in! I'll confess I'm a full freezer person and love the choice it gives - I hate meal planning because I never fancy what I've planned. I will however be making a concerted effort to use up everything in the freezer and cupboards before buying anything new!

Good Luck!
    When life gives you lemons, find the tequila!
    MFW: FTB June 2017 £144k. Target 128k June 2019
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 30th Aug 17, 9:24 AM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,517 Thanks
    thriftylass
    I will list you all up to here now. Loads of familiar "faces" and newbies.

NelliePie I'm not a strict meal planner either. I do a rough weekly plan. Lets say I'l buy 7 different meats for 7 days (or just extra if I still have 3 things in the freezer) and sth that could go with each of the meats (unless I still have stuff). Then I choose on the day what we want. Towards the end of the week the meals get more creative as I look up new and interesting recipes that use whatever we have left. Or that is the plan at least (as I usually got to the shops then and buy extra stuff which I want to stop). Any leftovers get used for the kids or lunches.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 30-08-2017 at 9:28 AM.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 30th Aug 17, 9:33 AM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,517 Thanks
    thriftylass
    So payday tomorrow for me. My numbers are allocated. I start the month £95 in my overdraft, so not good.

I'm planning £350 for our groceries (2 adults, 6yo and 3yo snack and fruit monsters). Did a freezer/cupboard inventory yesterday and made a shopping list to match. Might actually buy all that tomorrow and go by myself to avoid unexpected items in the trolley . £50 for HH and going out. I have a works night out this Friday but I'll stick to a couple of soft drinks and then take a bottle of tonic home (FIL gave me gorgeous bottle of gin). Might have a girls' night in two weeks but again, just a couple of drinks and then bus home.

We'll have friends round for a BBQ this Saturday but again this will come out of groceries and will be bought in ALDI.

The winter duvets are not on yet but the kids are in onesies in bed now. Not having the heating on yet might become a challenge soon. This morning the living room was 16C, brrrrr. Unfortunately, our cat died recently, but it means we can keep all the doors shut now and keep the heat that there is more in.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 30-08-2017 at 9:35 AM.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 30th Aug 17, 9:35 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Thriftylass We're monthly shoppers, with a fortnightly milk/bread topup - that's just what works for us. I rarely if ever throw food away and cook pretty much everything from scratch but never get to the bottom of the freezer/cupboard either. I just find it calming to have a full stock I guess but this month I'm going to get creative. DH2B is not great in the kitchen but will eat pretty much anything I make so that's a bonus.

The company I work for subsidise the canteen so a hot meal is only £3.50 and Wednesday's are always a roast dinner. At first this seemed like a great offer but even at one canteen meal per week that's over£150 per year!
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 30th Aug 17, 9:45 AM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,517 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Thriftylass We're monthly shoppers, with a fortnightly milk/bread topup - that's just what works for us. I rarely if ever throw food away and cook pretty much everything from scratch but never get to the bottom of the freezer/cupboard either. I just find it calming to have a full stock I guess but this month I'm going to get creative. DH2B is not great in the kitchen but will eat pretty much anything I make so that's a bonus.

The company I work for subsidise the canteen so a hot meal is only £3.50 and Wednesday's are always a roast dinner. At first this seemed like a great offer but even at one canteen meal per week that's over£150 per year!
    Originally posted by NelliePie
    Well your way that sounds very economical too. The meal plan rule is more aimed at people that are not that well in control of their groceries. People that buy a lot extra or even throw them out. Or for people like me sometimes. I have stuff but buy extra fancier stuff like prawns that weren't necessary. I would like to reduce our monthly grocery spend, so I need to cook cheaper meals and use what I have and avoid the top up shops that you already don't really do.

And you're right. We could cook our lunches way cheaper (and tastier?)
    Last edited by thriftylass; 30-08-2017 at 9:48 AM.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 30th Aug 17, 10:11 AM
    • 6,445 Posts
    • 36,787 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi Guys&Girls,

Count me in! I'll confess I'm a full freezer person and love the choice it gives - I hate meal planning because I never fancy what I've planned. I will however be making a concerted effort to use up everything in the freezer and cupboards before buying anything new!

Good Luck!
    Originally posted by NelliePie
    When I'm not into eating what I've got in my freezers it tends to be a slippery slope and I end up shopping & spending more. I've learnt when I'm in this frame of mind to plan in 1 or 2 a bit more fancy meals. Maybe a fakeaway or pizza for the weekend/when I really cba. Or say stick to freezer clearing mon-fri have steak & chips sat & a roast Sun. Helps with the reckless spending!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £2874.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2919.06/Roadkill £8.58
    SFDs Sept 7/18 CC saved £2372.50 Veg grown £376.20
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 30th Aug 17, 10:22 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    NelliePie
    When I'm not into eating what I've got in my freezers it tends to be a slippery slope and I end up shopping & spending more. I've learnt when I'm in this frame of mind to plan in 1 or 2 a bit more fancy meals. Maybe a fakeaway or pizza for the weekend/when I really cba. Or say stick to freezer clearing mon-fri have steak & chips sat & a roast Sun. Helps with the reckless spending!
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    I like the sound of having a fancy meal as a treat, we usually keep a frozen pizza (or something similar) for 'emergencies'. We're very lucky in that, when we were at uni DH2B's nan used to send us a package every month with what she though students would like as a treat but couldn't afford - a steak each and a huge home made chocolate fudge cake. Years on and she still does this now, although sometimes the cake is varied but they're always as delicious!
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 30th Aug 17, 10:27 AM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 21,906 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Thanks thrifty for Septembers challenge - count me in, it looks really interesting.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 30th Aug 17, 12:11 PM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,517 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Did my Asda order for tomorrow. Had my inventory and my shopping list in front of me and looked out for deals etc. Might have saved a wee bit in ALDI but then I would have probably had unwanted items in the trolley. Catered also for the BBQ on Sat (3 for 10 offers), got DH some beers and pizza for Friday when he has mates round (as he does when I'm out and so he doesn't have to go out to the shops with the kids after work and spend even more) and stocked up on some HH essentials like toilet roll. Hopefully that'll be me till I need milk mid week. That came to £70. That times 4 should be ok then if I can avoid top up shops and going with kids or DH.

Also some food for thought . I would've as usual treated myself to a payday sushi and smoothie at lunch tomorrow, thinking oh it's a bargain as it's yesterdays sushi at reduced price and a small smoothie. But it was still usually 7 quid, for a lunch . So obviously I won't be doing that tomorrow

EDIT:

Just amended my Asda order and added some very cheap cuts of lamb, and a leek. As I have scotch broth mix that needs using up, carrots, swede, kale etc in the garden I'll stick a big batch of scotch broth in the slow cooker this weekend and make a big batch of lunches/soups.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 30-08-2017 at 3:23 PM.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Aug 17, 2:19 PM
    • 6,212 Posts
    • 62,939 Thanks
    greent
    I'll apologise now for what is going to be a huuuuuugely long post!

September means for many getting back into the swing of new school and work routines. Also, the colder months are looming and we should maybe consider starting to get ready for winter and the festivities or at least start a wee bit of forward planning.

The whole idea of this challenge is for you to start looking to where you WANT to be, consider why you aren’t at that point and start realising what is going WRONG. And also, I need you to help me because when I have people to answer to I won’t spend anything!

Seriously though – you can’t save for a house if you have debt. You can’t have a new kitchen if you can’t afford the food to put in it……………. you need to get a debt free day graved in stone and start aiming for it. We will be debt free end Sept 2018 - we will have paid off OH's car and any 0% we take on new kitchen (possibly appliances will be put on 0% CC) will be repaid by then. That will then leave us 'just' the BTL mtge, which we are now paying some off on each month (is IO) - but it is a debt which brings us in more income than it costs
    Enough is enough. Christmas is but 16 weeks away – are you ready for that little charmer? Nope - have no presents stashed away yet

So again, I’d like to go back to basics and a few stricter rules back form NinjasavingKat’s days.
    [/CENTER]
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    I could do with some stricter rules, especially in the run up to Xmas, tbh. Sept is also a good time for a fresh start/ check on any goals made in Jan

My pledges:

*This challenge starts on the 1st September at 00:01 and closes on the 30th September at 00:00. - Yep

*Try and check in once a day with your progress ! - will do

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!! - I'll aim to note all spends - always have a notebook in bag - but don't always carry bag. Will probably use memo function on my phone instead

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also. OK. I personally am going to also add a mid-week shop where if I only buy milk it counts as NSD (can't fit a week's worth of milk in our fridge and neither OH nor myself are a fan of UHT)

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left! - bills and debts (car and tax credits overpayment) are on DD. Credit cards have been repaid in full. Next bills are due end Sept (less than £15) and mid Oct (so from Sept salary) Overpayment of tax credits will be fully repaid this month and we are saving £250/ mth for final pymt next year for OH's car. Any extra monies we get in each month (cashback/ ebay/ ziffit/ extra hours at work) are going to the new kitchen fund

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. - am setting a budget of £450 for just food. That includes 4 of us full time (me, DS1 (17 and with hollow legs), DS2 (11), ds3 (8 and can eat as much pasta as the 17yo!) The boys all have packed lunches for school. It also includes DD (back at uni 23/9 and I know I will do a food shop for her when she goes back to fill freezer etc - am expecting it to be c £50) and OH (stays away with work 2 nights/ week - so those nights are on expenses) - oh - and fresh veggies for 3 guinea pigs
    I have just topped up my Tesc0 giftcard with £250 - cost me £240 (work perk scheme) and will also do shopping in A1di

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. - I forsee a Sept which includes things such as carrot & lentil soup (large bag of lentils in cupboard), crumbles/ Eves pudding/ steamed sponges (lots of pears and apples on trees and jars of jam in the cupboard made from HG strawbs & plums) and roast chicken at least twice (I have 4 large chickens in the freezer - and can then use leftovers in risotto, pasta dishes etc) I have been running down supplies, though (and DS1 left freezer door ajar, which meant some food had to be thrown ) but would like to see how much we can get eaten - this is actually easier when OH is working away, as I will happily eat leftovers/ weird combos and he won't)
    I also need to tackle the jars of 'stuff' taking up the whole of the top shelf in my fridge - way too many in there!

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself. - I don't think I am working any full days in Sept, so that's not an issue for me. When OH is working away his lunch is claimable on expenses, so not an issue. 3 x boys take packed lunches to school every day. Hopefully an easy one in Sept......

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now. - we have an afternoon tea out in Sept (we're not paying) Also a curry night out with friends (we will drive and keep cost down. Expect we will treat DD to lunch when we take her back to uni (probably chipshop) + 1 takeaway (have got OH down from weekly takeaways, so much improved!)

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do??? - see above - DFD Sep 2018, just leaving BTL, which is being paid off as much as poss- and which will be targeted more when other stuff repaid. Will be just in time for when DS1 starts uni!

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything! - will commit to 3x/ week. Have well and truly lost mojo atm

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. Yep

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings. - Will include exercise from above and also continue to read down my stash of to-be-read books

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc. We live in the north of Scotland in an 80s bungalow with metal windows. So it might be a challenge - should be ok here. Still in Summer PJs and sleeping with 4.5tog duvets and windows ajar atm

That’s it… think you can keep up? - Hopefully!

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1552/2017 items
    • Tjzdazz
    • By Tjzdazz 30th Aug 17, 3:57 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Tjzdazz
    I'd like to join please .

First challenge and looking forward to it. My budget is already planned out - only spanner in the works is that it is my birthday in September lol.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 30th Aug 17, 4:06 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    These are the rules….. clear and simple!

*This challenge starts on the 1st September at 00:01 and closes on the 30th September at 00:00.

*Try and check in once a day with your progress !

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!! I do this normally so will continue

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also. I'll aim for the 18 nsd's - will try to not spend at all mon-fri

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left! Not in debt but need to build up savings as we have some work on the house we want to do early next year

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. Mine is £350.

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help I have very full cupboards and the freezer is pretty well stocked, I do have a meat delivery due in the middle of the month but will plan my meals using up whats in the cupboards to accompany it

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself. DH & ds2 will take lunch every day, I'll have whatever left overs we have at home

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now.
    Just two regular coffee/catch ups planned for Sept, if the weather is nice on the day then I'll suggest taking a flask and meeting in a park instead of the usual coffee shop. We don't have any other big plans this month thankfully!

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything!
    Gym class Mon-Fri and trying to run 3 times a week also

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies? working my way through a use up box in the bathroom already currently using a nivea for men moisturiser that dh stopped using for some reason (we have another 3 bottles of it in the cupboard too!) I'm finding it really nice although not good if putting make up on but great for bedtime! If beauty includes hair cut, I'll go over the £10 but my hair hasn't been cut since about February so its in dire need!

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.
    This comes in with the exercise above, this is my time just for me

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc. We live in the north of Scotland in an 80s bungalow with metal windows. So it might be a challenge I refuse to put the heating on until towards the end of October, we have plenty of jumpers, fleeces, blankets to cwtch up under if it gets cold
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 30th Aug 17, 4:17 PM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,517 Thanks
    thriftylass
    I'd like to join please .

First challenge and looking forward to it. My budget is already planned out - only spanner in the works is that it is my birthday in September lol.
    Originally posted by Tjzdazz
    Welcome. We're a friendly bunch but can be strict if need be . As long as you birthday spends are planned for maybe with a contingency I don't see a problem .
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 30th Aug 17, 4:23 PM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,517 Thanks
    thriftylass

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also. I'll aim for the 18 nsd's - will try to not spend at all mon-fri That's my plan too, need to avoid the Friday night treat shops.

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself. DH & ds2 will take lunch every day, I'll have whatever left overs we have at homeThat's one bit where my DH doesn't fit in as I can only get him to take homemade lunch when he's skint at the end of the month , DS and DD get lunch in school and nursery luckily.

[B]Just two regular coffee/catch ups planned for Sept, if the weather is nice on the day then I'll suggest taking a flask and meeting in a park instead of the usual coffee shop. We don't have any other big plans this month thankfully! Very MSE planning.

Gym class Mon-Fri and trying to run 3 times a week also Impressive, are you training for sth or just to keep fit?

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies? working my way through a use up box in the bathroom already currently using a nivea for men moisturiser that dh stopped using for some reason (we have another 3 bottles of it in the cupboard too!) I'm finding it really nice although not good if putting make up on but great for bedtime! If beauty includes hair cut, I'll go over the £10 but my hair hasn't been cut since about February so its in dire need! Oh haven't considered this as I cut my own and DD and DS. So of course that's excluded in your case especially since it's only once in a while. I was more meaning potions and lotions, make up etc

This comes in with the exercise above, this is my time just for me Haha, same here
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    See notes in green
    Last edited by thriftylass; 30-08-2017 at 4:26 PM.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 30th Aug 17, 4:49 PM
    • 6,445 Posts
    • 36,787 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Did my Asda order for tomorrow. Had my inventory and my shopping list in front of me and looked out for deals etc. Might have saved a wee bit in ALDI but then I would have probably had unwanted items in the trolley. Catered also for the BBQ on Sat (3 for 10 offers), got DH some beers and pizza for Friday when he has mates round (as he does when I'm out and so he doesn't have to go out to the shops with the kids after work and spend even more) and stocked up on some HH essentials like toilet roll. Hopefully that'll be me till I need milk mid week. That came to £70. That times 4 should be ok then if I can avoid top up shops and going with kids or DH.

Also some food for thought . I would've as usual treated myself to a payday sushi and smoothie at lunch tomorrow, thinking oh it's a bargain as it's yesterdays sushi at reduced price and a small smoothie. But it was still usually 7 quid, for a lunch . So obviously I won't be doing that tomorrow

EDIT:

Just amended my Asda order and added some very cheap cuts of lamb, and a leek. As I have scotch broth mix that needs using up, carrots, swede, kale etc in the garden I'll stick a big batch of scotch broth in the slow cooker this weekend and make a big batch of lunches/soups.
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    make your own sushi very easy and cheap! that could be your fancier meal
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £2874.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2919.06/Roadkill £8.58
    SFDs Sept 7/18 CC saved £2372.50 Veg grown £376.20
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 30th Aug 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 18,444 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Can I please join in as I need to rein in my spending. I am not in debt and paid off my mortgage 4 years ago. Want to save even more as I want to move out of the area that I currently live in. I do temp work and care for my elderly Mum who lives with me in my flat. Will try and sort out what the aims for September are.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NSK September SFD 15/18 Food/Household £142.54/£150 Exercise 15
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 30th Aug 17, 4:58 PM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,517 Thanks
    thriftylass

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also. OK. I personally am going to also add a mid-week shop where if I only buy milk it counts as NSD (can't fit a week's worth of milk in our fridge and neither OH nor myself are a fan of UHT)
    Back in Germany we only had UHT, no idea how I managed to drink that. prefer fresh too. Your milk-only NSD is granted

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. ... but would like to see how much we can get eaten - this is actually easier when OH is working away, as I will happily eat leftovers/ weird combos and he won't)
    [/COLOR] My food budget would be sooo much lower without OH as I'm the same, would eat much cheaper and weirder things alone

Originally posted by greent
    Comment is green (sorry need to write sth otherwise can't post this
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 30th Aug 17, 5:00 PM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,517 Thanks
    thriftylass
    make your own sushi very easy and cheap! that could be your fancier meal
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    Will actually look into that. Always thought that would be quite expensive too- fish, seaweed leafy things, special rice?
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

554Posts Today

4,932Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin