Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 924Posts
    • 7,841Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....
    • 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed.... 12th Feb 17 at 9:56 AM
    £67,031.92. Seriously. £67,031.92. That is a SCARY number. I can't believe our debt has peaked (and it is the peak, I am determined) at this level.

Our light bulb moment actually happened a few months back, but it's taken since then of wrangling utilities and carefully watching out income/outgoings (using You Need a Budget) to really figure out where we were overspending and how the monthly shortfall of anything from £200-£1,000+ was happening.

We have literally nothing to show for this debt, it's just crept up over the past 8 years or so, and has always been at manageable levels, but back in October we realised we were spending more on credit cards each month than we were paying off.

We committed that cardinal sin of taking out a consolidation loan, but alongside it we looked really carefully at our spending over the next couple of months, budgeted realistically for what we spend and have (I think) picked off all the easy 'low hanging fruit' of budget cuts and really identified why we were overspending.

The main reason for the debt is, erm, me. Not that I'm the biggest spender (neither of us are amazing), but because I am self employed with a hugely variable income and basically worked out our budgets on the basis I would always earn my 'best' month's income. Which was, with hindsight, maybe a TINY bit deluded.

The aim of this diary is to keep us on track with actually reducing our debt every single month, not doing it in a three steps forward, two (or four) steps back sort of way. Having sat down and put our numbers into the whatsthecost site, it appears that we are looking at 7 years and 1 month of repayments to clear the debt (and that's assuming we can get rid of the shortfall showing below). I REALLY want to reduce this term as that just seems bonkers.

SOA below, with a couple of explanatory notes.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 3
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 250 (variable, but this is the minimum I have earned in any month in the last 5 years)
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2711.86
    Benefits................................ 192
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3153.86

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 698
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 174 (including overpayment for a period when we messed up during a house move 18 months ago and didn't restart the direct debit for the new property. Will drop by a little under £50 after either March or April, can't remember which)
    Electricity............................. 52 (gas and electricity are one combined DD, I haven't checked the exact split but the total is £104)
    Gas..................................... 52
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 104 (also including a debt from previous property, but I think this will be included for another 6 months or so. I'm not sure what our actual usage is)
    Telephone (land line)................... 18.5 (includes internet)
    Mobile phone............................ 85 (£45 for my contract, which I use for work as well, £40 for DH)
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0 (included in landline cost)
    Groceries etc. ......................... 520 (Includes £40 for one lot of school lunches. I am REALLY struggling to reduce this, but feel I could and should be able to!)
    Clothing................................ 100 (growing children, plus see notes below re clothes)
    Petrol/diesel........................... 225 (90% DH commuting costs)
    Road tax................................ 16.27
    Car Insurance........................... 25.22
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 50
    Childcare/nursery....................... 70 (this will disappear in April as child 3 gets free 15 hours)
    Other child related expenses............ 81.85 (music/swimming lessons x2, cubs and beavers, National Trust membership as they love visiting them)
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 27.07
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 16.26
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 90
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 135
    Holiday................................. 75
    Emergency fund.......................... 25
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2707.29

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 210000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 800
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 210800

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 173733...(698)......3.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 173733....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Barclaycard....................6880.21...156...... .0
    MBNA...........................9614.71...98....... .0
    Parental loan..................20000.....0.........0 (see notes below)
    Tesco loan.....................21000.....377.......10
    Total unsecured debts..........57494.92..631.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,153.86
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,707.29
    Available for debt repayments........... 446.57
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 631
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -184.43

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 210,800
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -173,733
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -57,494.92
    Net Assets.............................. -20,427.92

Created using the SOA calculator at stoozing.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Regarding the (relatively) high clothes expense, it is a combination of 3 growing children (8, 6 and 3), plus the fact that my job is in the fashion industry, and as a self employed person I need to have the right sort of 'look' in order to get work (think along the lines of a self employed personal shopper - people need to see you looking good in order to book with you).

The parental loan was for a house deposit. The parent in question has no idea about our debts. She is not desperate for the money back and isn't charging us interest, but has asked us to save £150-200 every month into a savings account and then once we've saved a decent sum to either repay them or 'reborrow' it for work on the house (basically they want us to be able to make repayments if they suddenly need the extra income, but meanwhile are happy for us to benefit from it. I am not saving the money while our debt payments are so high - we are hoping to have paid enough off that if the parent ever needs it that we can reborrow it and pay them back). This isn't great, but realistically I think the best solutions is to treat it as the lowest priority for snowballing - once we have paid back the other debts we will throw the entire £630+ at this debt.

So, there is a freaking enormous shortfall every month, which is somewhat depressing. Most months it is covered by the fact that I earn more than my 'bare minimum', but it is those months where it isn't covered that the debt creeps up again, and I am a total disaster for going 'oh well, we've spent on the credit card, we might as well keep going' and buying more clothes or something for the house - this is probably a significant proportion of our debt problem.

We have managed to get rid of the balance on the one credit card we were spending on, so the remaining ones are both on 0% deals (although one expires in September). I have not cut up the remaining credit card, because we don't have an emergency fund in case of eg boiler repairs, but it has not been used for all of a month, and I hope to keep it that way.

A DMP or similar isn't really on my horizon right now - I feel like we should be able to make the cuts to make our budgets balance, and I am optimistic that as my income goes up (when I can work more as child 3 starts school) that we will be able to make overpayments.

My plan for now is:
    1) Try to wiggle those budget numbers around enough that we don't have a shortfall any more.
    2) Make a plan for any months where I make extra - do I use it for an emergency fund, as a fund to cover future months' shortfalls, to throw money at the debt to try to reduce minimum payments in case of future 'shortfall' months?
    3) Try to make more money. Not quite sure how this will work as I am largely limited to working around DH's working hours (I work evenings and weekends and the 5hrs childcare per week we are paying for for child 3).

Now that's all down in black and white I am feeling a combination of relieved (to be clear on the numbers) and immensely stressed (by the semi-regular £180+ shortfall).

Onwards and downwards (for the debt, not me)!

edited to add: the original £67,031.92 figure was based on the total figure for the Tesco loan, which included all interest payable over the entire term of the loan. I have updated the debt figure in my signature and in all posts going forward as at 4th June 2017 to reflect that actual current debt balance rather than the balance plus interest over the lifetime of the loan. This has knocked £7,911.62 off the debt figure, but means that each monthly payment will have the interest for that month deducted from it, so it won't affect the DFD if I don't make overpayments.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 04-06-2017 at 2:58 PM.
Page 81
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 13th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 7,636 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I think you are getting better at budgeting and knowing where your money goes. A dmp will not sort your family debt and will impact on mortgage and extension plans. You are still getting 0% deals and not missing payments so I don't think you would be any better off taking that route now.

Carry on monitoring spending and try for increased income for you maybe until your youngest is full time at school
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 3 months to go.
    • Wysiwyg49
    • By Wysiwyg49 13th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Wysiwyg49
    Just want to echo what others have said about your progress. I think it's great that you stay so motivated and positively face a pretty daunting mountain to climb.

Something that has helped me a lot, just to get a grip on things overall - I read somewhere that your budget should be 50% on essentials, 20% on paying off debt or saving, and 30% on choices - non-essentials everyone needs to keep life interesting and not just a complete grind. I've put master categories in my YNAB so I can see on the reports how far away from those percentages I am.

I count clothes, pet expenses, alcohol and kids activities as choices. Essentials include food and fuel as well as household running costs, insurances etc.

It actually makes me feel better, before that I was thinking I spent almost everything on "essentials" but now I can see I am keeping it fairly well balanced, and 20% on debt/savings feels achievable now (it didn't at first).
    GC Sept £174.61/£360
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 13th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 4,780 Posts
    • 10,884 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    I read every morning TOPM and love your enthusiasm for life and getting the most out of it. Also great to see your debt figure slowly coming down.

Am I right in thinking that your family and friends arent aware of the amount od debt you are in?

If this is right then I think that this also could hamper your progress.

Where presents for birthdays and Christmas are concerned.........we are all guilty of wanting to show our loved ones how much we care and especially young children at christmas.
    We also dont want others to perceive we are being less than generous so we spend more than necessary to keep up appearances.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree then please feel free to ignore me but it's something that could be addressed by explaining to close family what the situation is. Very difficult I know and understand people not wanting to share too much info.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £137.50
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1361.45 miles
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 13th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 7,841 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Hi TOPM - you have been getting a lot of tough love on here and it is great to see that you have accepted it in such a positive way and in the spirit that it has been given. Everyone really enjoys your diary and I would hate to see you get disheartened.

I actually think you you can tackle your debt yourself, you are bright and talented and work incredibly hard. Your light bulb is turning on ( not quite burning as brightly as it should be ) but you have made such progress over the course of your diary.

In just the last couple of weeks you have gone from not even contemplating cutting out school dinners for your son, to providing lunch much more cheaply and learning that he really hasn't suffered. You now need to have a tough and frugal few months and I think you will start to turn a corner.

The only worry is Christmas is not very far away and this could derail you completely. I think you need to start planning now for the most frugal Christmas ever seen in the TOPM household. Start by critically looking at who you buy gifts for and have a cull. Set a small budget for each of the children, they are young and just want lots of parcels, so make the Pound shop, HB and B&M your friend. There are lots of good ideas for frugal gifts across the MSE boards that should help

You probably also need to build a fund - sell things, save £1 a day in a jar, start earning vouchers by doing surveys. Do whatever you can, but with the aim of funding Christmas without using your credit card. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be buying it !

Your grasshopper outfit sounds fab, far more creative than anything I have produced ( my kids' fancy dress costumes, all consisted of a tabard with a belt - grey tabard for a knight, green one for Robin Hood and a white one for an angel ....you get the picture !)

I hope you have a great day and enjoy the surfing
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    Current tactic for Christmas is out and out denial. Even doing it on a budget we are so far off being able to meet the costs of it. Luckily we don't particularly do many gifts apart from for DC - I tend to do some foodie gifts for family that we see, and one particularly close friend I buy for the children of, but that's it. I think once we've seen the lie of the land after this month we can start to think about Christmas (and start panicking accordingly).

I think you are getting better at budgeting and knowing where your money goes. A dmp will not sort your family debt and will impact on mortgage and extension plans. You are still getting 0% deals and not missing payments so I don't think you would be any better off taking that route now.

Carry on monitoring spending and try for increased income for you maybe until your youngest is full time at school
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Thank you ES, this is more or less the plan, assuming no major bumps in the road like my income coming to a standstill.

Just want to echo what others have said about your progress. I think it's great that you stay so motivated and positively face a pretty daunting mountain to climb.

Something that has helped me a lot, just to get a grip on things overall - I read somewhere that your budget should be 50% on essentials, 20% on paying off debt or saving, and 30% on choices - non-essentials everyone needs to keep life interesting and not just a complete grind. I've put master categories in my YNAB so I can see on the reports how far away from those percentages I am.

I count clothes, pet expenses, alcohol and kids activities as choices. Essentials include food and fuel as well as household running costs, insurances etc.

It actually makes me feel better, before that I was thinking I spent almost everything on "essentials" but now I can see I am keeping it fairly well balanced, and 20% on debt/savings feels achievable now (it didn't at first).
    Originally posted by Wysiwyg49
    I daren't even work that out - whatever our percentages are, they're staying fixed for now! We probably aren't a million miles off those percentages though, now I think about it.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 13th Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 7,841 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    I read every morning TOPM and love your enthusiasm for life and getting the most out of it. Also great to see your debt figure slowly coming down.

Am I right in thinking that your family and friends arent aware of the amount od debt you are in?

If this is right then I think that this also could hamper your progress.

Where presents for birthdays and Christmas are concerned.........we are all guilty of wanting to show our loved ones how much we care and especially young children at christmas.
    We also dont want others to perceive we are being less than generous so we spend more than necessary to keep up appearances.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree then please feel free to ignore me but it's something that could be addressed by explaining to close family what the situation is. Very difficult I know and understand people not wanting to share too much info.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    Not even an option, unfortunately. We would only tell close family if it was a real life or death (or losing the house) type situation. Luckily none of my family expect extravagant gifts, so it isn't a huge problem.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 13th Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 7,841 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Had a fab surfing lesson today, despite the crazy wind! Lovely to get away from all the stresses of work for a couple of hours.

Other than that today has been about trucking on through the many work admin things to do (mainly website related). I am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel though, finally. I think I will be on track for website launch next Friday, without having sacrificed any other work that needed doing along the line. The house has been entirely sacrificed, however. Ho hum.

I was thinking, as I made chicken and leek pasties today, how many meals we used to get out of a chicken when it was just DH, me and baby DC1. It was a lot. And I used to be so smug, thinking I was stretching it really well. Which I was, obviously, but it helped that there were only two people really eating it, and neither of us are big meat eaters. Today's chicken has made about 15 mini pasties (about 8 packed lunches worth) plus about 1.5 meals worth of chicken soup for all of us (so about 8 portions). So that's a lot of portions - about 16 out of one chicken - but it will feel like it hasn't lasted any time at all, because 16 portions is only three and a bit meals now that there are five of us! Vegetarian eating is sooooo much cheaper.

to do today
    1. make chicken and leek pasties. Done. Millions of them, so plenty of packed lunches for very little money (only used about 1/3 of the chicken).
    2. make flapjacks and muffins for lunch boxes. Done. Millions, again.
    3. buy wrapping paper and ribbon for DC1's birthday presents. Not done, didn't go into town.
    4. website work. Done, although more to come tomorrow.
    5. surfing lesson! Done, yay!
    6. clear some of the list of non-urgent-but-essential small jobs/emails etc that has carried over every day for the last week because I've been too busy to look at it. Progress made. Not a lot, but better than nothing.

to do this week
    1. keep the packed lunches coming in on budget. Going surprisingly well.
    2. pick up the social media again, which has fallen very much by the wayside recently, and does help increase income.
    3. ebay old pram now that DC3 has stopped using it. It's got a broken part, but might get £20 for spares as it was a really expensive one originally (nine years ago! One of those 'buy better, buy once' incidents, where we researched obsessively for weeks and ended up with the perfect pram, which has survived all three DC and only broke a couple of weeks ago Good timing, as DC3 is 3.5).

to do this month
    1. keep the total spend for the month below £3,500 (last month was miles better than the previous average £3,900, going to try to repeat the feat).
    2. get my new website finished and launched (crosses fingers, toes and eyes).
    3. just work as much as possible and make some money back to recover the enormous shortfall that faces us this month!
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 13th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 4,743 Posts
    • 20,631 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I think some replies have been quite harsh and you do so well at taking it on board. To be fair I'd have probably ran a mile.

If you read back at the start the first few pages and where you are now, you have made an amazing amount of changes in such a short time.

There will always be bumps in the road. Some bigger than others.

Just know that you are doing your best and that's all anyone can do x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 14th Sep 17, 3:37 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    Three full meals for a family of 5, for a chicken, is still excellent to me! I made a roast chicken for my lot the other day on an evening when I was going out with a friend so it was just Mr E and the two girls (5 and 8 y/o) eating it. I did lots and lots of veg. And it was a good, quality, higher-welfare 2kg chicken. So I had, like, "chicken curry" and "chicken burritos" on the meal plan for future meals for the leftovers, because obviously. And I got home, and there was half a chicken breast and a few bits clinging to the carcass left. I made a chicken noodle soup with it for the kids' dinner the next night and then sulked a bit.

I wanted to also acknowledge that your grocery budget is brilliant! £140 for a week with lots of expensive extras like lightbulbs is amazing. You'll be on a £400/month budget before you know it.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    September 2017 - $218,597.77
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 14th Sep 17, 5:23 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 7,841 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    I think some replies have been quite harsh and you do so well at taking it on board. To be fair I'd have probably ran a mile.

If you read back at the start the first few pages and where you are now, you have made an amazing amount of changes in such a short time.

There will always be bumps in the road. Some bigger than others.

Just know that you are doing your best and that's all anyone can do x
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    Three full meals for a family of 5, for a chicken, is still excellent to me! I made a roast chicken for my lot the other day on an evening when I was going out with a friend so it was just Mr E and the two girls (5 and 8 y/o) eating it. I did lots and lots of veg. And it was a good, quality, higher-welfare 2kg chicken. So I had, like, "chicken curry" and "chicken burritos" on the meal plan for future meals for the leftovers, because obviously. And I got home, and there was half a chicken breast and a few bits clinging to the carcass left. I made a chicken noodle soup with it for the kids' dinner the next night and then sulked a bit.

I wanted to also acknowledge that your grocery budget is brilliant! £140 for a week with lots of expensive extras like lightbulbs is amazing. You'll be on a £400/month budget before you know it.
    Originally posted by armchairexpert
    Thank you both - lovely to wake up to such supportive messages. Sometimes the harsh ones are a bit alarming, but there's no point getting upset - even the most unpleasant messages sometimes have some useful ideas or new ways of looking at things and you never know where the next genius MS idea is going to come from, so I focus on taking the positive bits and leave the rest on the page.

Armchairexpert I'm laughing at your chicken sulk!
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 14th Sep 17, 5:46 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 7,841 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 31: Day 5

Man, I ache this morning. Surfing always totally wipes me out. Wish I could get to do it more often and improve my fitness levels for it. When I'm rich....!

I have a coffee this morning with someone about some potential work next year. It won't be well paid but I'm so keen to do it - it will involve leading workshops with groups of women on their body positivity and helping them improve their confidence, which is a huge part of why I do what I do, so I'm really hoping it comes off. Fingers crossed.

The forecast isn't great today, so I'm going to have to hang laundry all over the house, which is tiresome.

Tonight's MS pudding is going to use up the last of the blackcurrants I rescued from the freezer (I have been having a spoonful on top of my breakfast most mornings too). I'm going to make a subbed version of berry lemon pudding I think, I've made it before and I think it should work. Will pull out something else random and unidentified once they're gone and start to work through it. All the mysterious tupperwares are going to get extracted and used up! Speaking of which, I really need to organise our tupperware cupboard. It is a landslide waiting to happen.

The budgets continues to look horrifying, although the projected spend for the month is still a shade under £3,500. It's just that so much of that spend is due to be on CC thanks to terrible income for me in July/August/early September. Middle of next week I have some work I can invoice for immediately, which will start to slooooowwwwwllly improve things, although I really could do with some bookings in the diary to make me a little more relaxed. Just need to manage my expectations a little at the moment - focusing on getting this website launched will hopefully pay off fairly quickly, but while I'm focused 100% on getting it up and running there's going to be a dip in business as I won't have time to promote myself elsewhere.

to do today
    1. make sourdough.
    2. extract some leftovers from the freezer for dinner.
    3. buy wrapping paper and ribbon for DC1's birthday presents. Oh, and a lemon for the berry lemon pudding.
    4. website work.
    5. clear some more of the list of non-urgent-but-essential small jobs/emails etc that has carried over every day for the last week because I've been too busy to look at it.
    6. organise the tupperware cupboard!
    7. check with school how much I owe for DC1's lunches from the first couple of days of this term (I think I also owe for the last few days of last term too) and pay for them.

to do this week
    2. pick up the social media again, which has fallen very much by the wayside recently, and does help increase income.
    3. ebay old pram now that DC3 has stopped using it. It's got a broken part, but might get £20 for spares as it was a really expensive one originally (nine years ago! One of those 'buy better, buy once' incidents, where we researched obsessively for weeks and ended up with the perfect pram, which has survived all three DC and only broke a couple of weeks ago Good timing, as DC3 is 3.5).

to do this month
    1. keep the total spend for the month below £3,500 (last month was miles better than the previous average £3,900, going to try to repeat the feat).
    3. just work as much as possible and make some money back to recover the enormous shortfall that faces us this month!
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 14-09-2017 at 9:52 AM.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 14th Sep 17, 9:38 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 7,285 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I focus on taking the positive bits and leave the rest on the page.
    Good for you. I read your diary every day and I think you're doing amazingly well. You seem to pack so much into your day and you've drastically changed your spending habits, You are such a positive person I'm sure you'll get there. Might take a wee while but you will.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 15th Sep 17, 7:23 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 7,841 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 31: Day 6

Had a good coffee yesterday - I think the work will come off. Not amazingly well paid (and not until next year), but something I love, and it might lead onto other things.

No childcare on Fridays, so will be hanging out with DC3 today and getting final bits for DC1's birthday (sweets to decorate cake, party bags).

List largely unchanged from yesterday, since I'm am having the world's least productive week.

to do today
    1. bake sourdough (attempting fancy new recipe involving overnight proving).
    2. make dal for dinner
    3. buy wrapping paper and ribbon for DC1's birthday presents.
    4. organise the tupperware cupboard!
    5. clear some more of the list of non-urgent-but-essential small jobs/emails etc that has carried over every day for the last week because I've been too busy to look at it.
    6. check with school how much I owe for DC1's lunches from the first couple of days of this term (I think I also owe for the last few days of last term too) and pay for them.
    7. many laundry.

to do this week

to do this month
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 15-09-2017 at 7:54 AM.
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 15th Sep 17, 7:31 AM
    • 666 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Just wanted to say I really enjoy reading your posts. I have no idea how you get so much done in a day and seem so dedicated.
    Debt Aug 2017: Cc £45,999- family £37808: total debt £83,807

Current debt: Cc £44,881- family - £37759.55 total debt: £82,640.55

SPC# 580
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 16th Sep 17, 6:03 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 7,841 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 31: Day 7

Once again, I could basically write the same list for today as I did yesterday. I am getting so little done at the moment while this website is under development. Although (drumroll) I think I am on my last big list of jobs for it today - lots of image sourcing and text editing - and then it will be down to final tweaks and testing before it launches.

The budget continues to be hugely stressful this month. I can feel myself reaching that f*$k it point where the month is so short of reaching the budget that I figure I may as well carry on spending on whatever I want, since the amount on the CC is going up so much anyway. It is really reminding me how all this happened in the first place, but it's not making those feelings go away. We just have so many expenses that one (or two. or five) more spends on the card starts feeling quite insignificant.

edited to add: I am sitting in a different room as I type this morning, and it turns out that this is the room where my usual spider's bigger, beefier relative lives. I hate spider season!
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 16-09-2017 at 6:10 AM.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 16th Sep 17, 6:38 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Blackcurrant torte is a good recipe for any lurking frozen berries or a glut. I make it a lot in winter as I freeze pounds of blackcurrant from the garden. The only was I can get children to eat them!

Exciting news that your website will be ready soon.
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
    365 day penny challenge £37.66/£667.95
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 16th Sep 17, 8:06 AM
    • 6,297 Posts
    • 45,862 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I have heard that spiders do not like conkers. No idea how it works - maybe put them near windows/doors? Might be worth a try...
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 9; Ex 7; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 16th Sep 17, 8:08 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Hi TOPM. I am sorry that you are finding your money issues so stressful, but please don't give up. Stick to your plan and budget and please please don't spend carelessly on your credit cards. Things will get better provided you keep control of this.

Have a good non spendy weekend
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 16th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 16,850 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Hi TOPM, I just wanted to cheer you on from the sidelines a bit. You are doing really well.

Please take a minute on a coffee break to explore how much the replacement part for your pram would be.

We bought a second-hand Silver Cross pram (for £50) when our Son was expected. We bought replacement solid rubber tyres, a few leather straps to replace some knackered looking ones, and a tin of coach paint. We sold it on eBay twelve years later for £350 - I am sure it was the way we described it that enticed people to bid, In your case you could buy the part and then market it in a really positive way as I'm sure the comments about it being well-researched and top of the range will encourage people to want it. Grandparents often want one to keep at theirs so pitching at that market is good.

Just an idea.

By the way, my account is currently overdrawn and the the other one is precarious. I announced to Husband yesterday that I would mostly be using my CC for any more spends this month. Half way through. What can I say?
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8112.39 saved (73.74%) after August - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 61.61/66.66% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th Sep 17, 12:15 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hi treading. Just wanted to say that I understand your situation. My DH and I built up huge debts when our children were small and had a few light bulb moments, which then flickered and went out.

We were the poorest in our family, and felt too ashamed too admit we couldn't afford to do/buy things. We also didn't want our children to suffer.

Well, a family bereavement and the recession sent us from just about managing, to not managing at all. How I regretted our £58000 debt then!

We've managed to hang onto our home, but our children have suffered and so have we. We are clawing our way out ten years on, but deeply regret our earlier 'laid back' attitude to our debts.

Well done for facing up to it. Don't do what I did and wait for disaster to strike. Cut your spending and get those debts down while you can, because you don't know what's around the corner and it's best to be prepared.
    Debt at highest = £58,766 Current debt = £16,234

Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 17th Sep 17, 7:07 AM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 7,636 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Week 31: Day 7

The budget continues to be hugely stressful this month. I can feel myself reaching that f*$k it point where the month is so short of reaching the budget that I figure I may as well carry on spending on whatever I want, since the amount on the CC is going up so much anyway. It is really reminding me how all this happened in the first place, but it's not making those feelings go away. We just have so many expenses that one (or two. or five) more spends on the card starts feeling quite insignificant.

edited to add: I am sitting in a different room as I type this morning, and it turns out that this is the room where my usual spider's bigger, beefier relative lives. I hate spider season!
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    You have said several times that it is so tempting once you have overspent to just carry on spending thinking once you perceive you have failed to keep within budget you may as well fail big time. This is common as it is easier to stick your head in the sand and ignore it rather than confront it. I would try to think of it as a climb up a mountain with hollows and dips along the way. Either you end up in a dip or you roll all the way down meaning you have to cover a lot of the ground you have covered all over again. One months setback is just that - a setback. Going back 10 months to the attitude you had then to carry on spending even though you know you are over budget means putting your debt free date back a year rather than a month.

I discovered a huuuge spider last night under my study desk and I hate spiders too so I am typing this on my iPad in a brightly lit room in the vain hope spiders hate light and won't appear. My feet are firmly up on the couch though as I hate the thought of them crawling over my feet. I told my husband last night we are pulling furniture out and hoovering this house from top to bottom today. He just rolled his eyes and says the spider will be long gone. I would really love to be so nonchalant
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 3 months to go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,523Posts Today

7,661Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin