Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    • 8,487Posts
    • 47,036Thanks
    Sue-UU
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10"
    • 4th Nov 16, 12:10 AM
    "Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10" 4th Nov 16 at 12:10 AM
    Alright then Potters, it seems awe-inspiring that we're starting off with with "SPC "No 10"!!! Where have all the years gone since it first began! So very hard to believe that by the end of this year we'll have been going for a full decade!!!!

For all newcomers, yes "Old Timers" too - it's so very important to please read through this entire post to see what the SPC is all about, dates for counting up and our re-opening date etc.. However, please be sure to Join the forum first in order to be able to join the challenge - if you haven't already! For ALL SPC members, please chat away on this SPC 10 thread about your conquests, money-saving ideas etc from Post 4 onward, it gives encouragement to all, including yourselves as it keeps the motivation to save far stronger.

Hello yet again dedicated MSE Sealed Pot Savers! We're off once more with another Sealed Pot Challenge No 10. We've had 9 amazinly money-saving years, but it's all purely through the determined saving of you all - many thanks to you amazing folk who have made SPC what it is!!

For all newcomers - a really huge heartfelt welcome! We're a terrific bunch who just adore greeting more members to the flock. Please read through the whole of this post and you'll be aware of why SPC is so special. You all settle in straight away and become part of our saving family!

The idea is to save as much as possible throughout the following year until just before Christmas - which this year will be to open our pots on Thursday the 2nd November 2017. We save it in pots that we've pre-sealed to stop us being tempted to open them. Any spare cash can be put away, every day/week/month, whatever is best for you. If you have change left over after you've been shopping - pop it in the pot! After all why not! However small the change...the likelihood is that it won't be missed, and might otherwise have been wasted!

Most of us put the difference in that we've been saved on special offers etc, it's all saved at the shop so it makes sense to save it in the pot to mount up!

Below are the basics for making your pot and sealing.

Firstly: Get yourself a pot, and remember - it doesn't need to cost much - if anything. If money's tight then use any pot for now, i.e. A sweet tin, coffee jar..extremely MSE!! Next - seal it with sellotape and be sure to make a slit in the lid, big enough for a 50p to go in, that way all coins will fit in. Later on, if you wish, you can always take advantage of finding a cheap pot in the sales after Christmas, or put one you fancy on your Christmas list! You can always buy ready sealed tins from reasonably priced shops! They're usually about a POUND from a £ store!!

It can also be interesting and challenging to make yourself a Papier Mach! pig (or any animal) etc by using Frugaldom's recipe by clicking here then going to Post No. 597 or by going to a totally separate thread papier mach! animal here. Many thanks to Frugaldom.

After selecting your pot, seal round the lid with sellotape or superglue if necessary. Again, be sure to make a slit in the top that is the right size for a 50p to go in! NB. If you make a Papier Mach! pot you will need to "operate" on it at the end of each challenge! Still, you can always have the pleasure of making a new one towards the end of the year, or getting the kiddies involved - if you're the daring type! The mind could run riot with what to model!

Anyone wanting to show a picture of their pot on the thread, here are directions by jakes-mum: "Go to www.photobucket.com and create an account, click the orange 'upload' button at the top and select your picture from your computer. Once uploaded, select the picture and click 'edit' then 'resize' change the first size number to 400 and click save. On the right hand side click the link next to 'direct', come back here and click the little picture of the mountain above the reply box, delete out the http and right hand click, select paste and your link should get pasted in. When you post your reply your pic should be there and not absolutely massive". Many thanks, jakes-mum, you are a gem!

Terrimundi pots are available in many shops and on-line, they're very attractive and another ready sealed way to save, and though the manufacturers and retailers would have you believe differently, you DO NOT need to smash them to remove your cash!! I've used mine for 9 years...and at the end of each year's (since 2009 when I graduated from a carton!) challenge, hubby and I have a whale of a time, doing things the 'old' way by tilting the pot and using a knife! Though, a few years ago DH bought a 12" steel ruler in from the shed which is thin and broad and perfect for the job. So be assured that, so long as you go carefully, you CAN use them again and again....unless you drop the darned things!! They are costly though, but this is where your Christmas list comes in handy, though always keep a look out in charity shops too!

Regarding the Sealed Cans many of you use, apparently the best way to open the sealed tins is, rather than using a tin opener, squeeze the side of the tin, where the seam meets and you can pop the seal and tip the money out that way.

The term roadkill = any money found on pavements, parks etc; even in car parks or on shop floors etc.

NB. A few notes of interest.

1/ Any money given as a gift (other than Birthdays, Christmas etc) i.e.. Inherited can not be included as savings. Likewise any money put directly into the bank cannot be counted as savings with SPC. Money from small second jobs is ok, such as cleaning for Mrs Bloggs down the road/ taking in ironing, a part-time job or anything similar is ok to be saved. Any savings saved via Christmas Clubs can also be used in your SPC Totals, it's another way of saving for Christmas after all. Money received from cashback sites such as Quidco, topcashback etc can be included in your pots. Likewise, any money made from sales on E-Bay, Facebook or similar can be saved.

Also it's possible to include all other savings from MSE Challenges with your SPC Totals i.e. the £2 Challenge as, apparently they aren't put down on the challenge threads themselves. If you're unsure, please ask on the thread, and remember - there's no so thing as a stupid question!

Second incomes can come in many varied and very lucrative guises and anything such as that would be unfair to other members. Mostly the SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save during the year...mostly it's relatively small amounts which are saved from wages, housekeeping, good budgeting etc. Remunerations via the letting of second homes cannot be included in the SPC.

2/
    Whenever you're in the dilemma of "ooh should I buy that?" If you don't need it, but just want it - leave it there and pot the cash instead, you'll be much more satisfied with the accomplishment, pleased with your self-discipline too. All too often, if I go back a second time I find I didn't even like whatever it was anyway.

3/ You can ask me to put a Target on for you to try to meet (it goes alongside your name and number on the 2nd and 3rd posts below) but it's not necessary. If you do set one, but are unable to meet it, it doesn't matter at all, at least you will have tried! A few people keep account of all they save, but most of us count what we save daily or weekly, then put it on the thread to help encourage others then we pot it and forget about it and ....wait for the surprise at the end of the year! If you're hoping for a particular amount, but still want a surprise at the end of the saving year, work out what amount you'd like and what's needed per week to achieve it - save that amount weekly/monthly as well as still putting your bits of change in without holding the amounts in your head - you're bound to come out on top that way and still get a surprise!

Please don't worry about the amounts others save! There are such differences with jobs, wages, commitments etc so some naturally find large sums easy to save, while others of us don't. However, it's the pleasure that counts - so be happy with yours, proud too, and remember it's NOT a contest!!

4/ Mainly SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save in a year for Christmas 2017. However, over the last 9 years we've had some members who needed theirs throughout the year for bills, and personally I'd far sooner they take the cash out for that than pay more interest or...miss a due date! You can always start again, even if it's getting later in the year, you can even include what you needed to take out, after all, you will have saved it. Whatever you need to do, don't worry about it - be happy and proud you have saved!

5/ If you wish to save for something special, a holiday, wedding etc then please do so, just please remember to declare it on November 2nd. The most important thing, is that you are saving ...and hopefully not tempted to take it out unnecessarily. If anyone has any other queries, then please sing out...though not too loudly.....you might shatter your pot/s!

6/ At the end of the year (or when we've saved for what we wish) count up all your money saved and declare your Total either by waiting until the declaration date - or (if you've needed your cash for other things - by putting your Total on your MSE signature to remind you to include it in your full Total; that particularly applies to those using their money for holidays etc, but PLEASE remember to return to the thread on the 2nd November to declare those Totals to me. Some members prefer not to keep too much money in the house and count theirs up every now and then to bank it, in which case they always pop the amount banked on their MSE signatures.

7/ DO KEEP YOUR POT or POTS SAFE!! If you hide it, be sure to remember where you put it as it wouldn't be the first time that members have forgotten where they've hidden it!

8/ "Holding Pots": To anyone concerned about putting money into their pot...then possibly needing it later in the week/month: Why not use an unsealed pot or purse as a "holding pot" and pop the money in there first each day/week/month - then, if it's not needed (for car parking costs, little Johnnies school trip etc) - put it in your Sealed pot so it stays put. Do that each week and it'll save you taking money from the bank. Discipline yourself to only take what's needed though!

9/ "Where to take bags of cash at the end of the year?": With regards to this all important question, here's vital help from girlatplay: "I bank with Bank of Scotland and they accept as many change bags as you have, as long as you take them to the business banking counter." That is so handy for members to know, many thanks to GAP. This applies to many banks, I suspect most banks/building societies are the same if truth be known.

10/ Members who do not return by the end of November of any year will sadly now lose their numbers as, many people who sign up to the challenge then don't bother returning! To be fair, I think a lot get swept up in the excitement of it all, but then, for one reason of another, can't or don't wish to keep it up, but that then leaves me with a long list of non savers on the list which makes things very difficult over time. Sorry folks, but any saving members won't be at all worried about this - but if those 'defaulting' (bad word, but...!) members remember then - come on back and ask for another number, they will always be be more than welcome!

On the 2 posts below is a list of members and their numbers, always display your No on your signatures please, that makes life so much easier for me and my DH when counting up all of our Totals. In December or thereabouts I declare the Grand Total of ALL that we members have collected, what a terrific sight that is! Please declare yours savings ASAP on or close to the 2nd November, many thanks.

Just a quiet word of warning to all those in the Cambridge area - forget ever thinking of looking for roadkill there as jakes-mum will even tackle you the ground to get to it first! Think I'm joking??

Once again, we've just had another truly amazing year, let's keep it up and see what we can achieve this year. Good luck everyone and save well!!

PLEASE take note everyone Thursday 2nd Nov is the closing date for 2017, the day we declare what we've saved on the thread, kindly declare your monies saved within 2 weeks of the 2nd, thank you kindly.

Anyone wishing to join us please post on the thread to ask and I'll give you a number and an official welcome so you can join in the fun......and please do note that...time means any time of year!

It's Never Too Late To Join Us! and You Never Need To Re-join....well, unless you stop visiting us in November! However.......you can always return to the fold and be made very welcome!

Many thanks for reading
    , Sue x
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 04-11-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!
    2015 = £52.852.06! 2016= £52, 002.40!!!

Page 95
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 10th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 4,268 Posts
    • 41,346 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Morning pottersssssssssssssss

Ahh thank you for thinking of us 32B3 We left on friday (landed yesterday morning) so we have missed the hurricane. We were getting a bit butterflies in the tummy area toward the end of our holiday and DH was glued to the weather channel whenever we were at the villa, but we were very fortunate indeed! If we hadn't seen the news, you would seriously have never realised that anything was coming when we left, the skies were blue and calm, everyone was going about their jobs etc. I spoke to a few of the waiting staff when we were having meals and they all said the same, 'just going about my day and preparing for if we have to evacuate'. It was all so . . . normal . . to them Our flight home was supposed to have over 120 spare seats but we were ram packed in there, we had people who were supposed to fly into Manchester today that had swapped flights, the other Stansted flight (that was meant to leave 1 1/2 hrs before ours) had been delayed over 6 hrs so they were all trying to get on to our flight too, the airport was absolutely heaving at MCO.

BUT we had an absolutely amazing time! There really is no way to explain to anyone who hasn't been just how you feel when your in Disney. I did get all teary as we drove under the welcome sign and then again when we first saw the castle, and AGAIN when we walked down main street in Magic Kingdom if the kids hadn't been with me I think i'd have been a blubbering mess most of the holiday

We met Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Joy and Sadness (from inside out), Kylo Ren and BB8 from Starwars, Miss Lily was absolutely in awe! I think she threw Kylo Ren a bit when he said he was going to bring her over to the dark side and she cheered lol. We didn't get to see Darth Vader unfortunately (Miss Lilys very favourite character) but we did find his head made completely out of swarovski crystals (at a mere $29,500 ), I then had a lengthy conversation with said child about why we could not bring it home with us lol.

Anyway, just to give you an idea of how we felt, here are a couple of pictures of the Castle with the projections and the fireworks

In potting news, I had 3 x £2 coins, 2 x £1 coins and some shrapnel from the very limited spending we did at the airport and DH madly decided to go to the pub last night and brought me home 3 x £2 coins as well so pot very well fed yesterday
    Last edited by jakes-mum; 11-09-2017 at 7:27 PM.
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £2210/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 10th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 17,679 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    I'm glad you are back Jakes-mum. The weather looks awful on the news.
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85 SPC10 -£405 banked so far
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • SeekingFlight
    • By SeekingFlight 11th Sep 17, 10:43 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    SeekingFlight
    48p out of my purse before i had off on holiday for a week
    September make £5 a day £0/£150
    SPC Member 581 - 2107

"Remember not to do too many things at once" said me to herself.
    • hickles69
    • By hickles69 11th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 4,104 Thanks
    hickles69
    So I've emptied my rather full pot today and got it to the bank. Left in an unused savings account till November. I have taped up a small jar as still had a fair bit of shrapnel that didn't make full bags and hoping to get a bit more on 2nd November. Had £70 in old £1 coins so glad they have been gotten rid of. Will be refusing them at the tills going forward.

Updated my signature for now....

Hope all is well with everyone. Stay safe in this nasty weather
    SPC#364 - 7-£666.54, 8-£489, 9-£264
    SPC 10 - target £300 BANKED £323 11/09/2017

Swaggers - 2015/£285, 2016/£270 2017 - target £300 (total so far £205 18/09/2017
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 12th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 8,487 Posts
    • 47,036 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    She's SAFE!!!! jakes-mum is back and SAFE!!!!!
    Hello again Potters! I hope you've all had a really great weekend, a happy Monday also!
    To all those members feeling poorly or who are low in spirits in any way, I do hope you all get well very very soon. Very best wishes and {{{{hugs}}}} to you all.

Ah there you are at last, Saver-upper! I thought you were coming on the board more often - not less!! It's a good job I'm the forgiving kind.
    Very well done with the £25 and now how about sorting out those £2s that you have? Trouble with you is that you like your sofa just a little too much! Good to see you anyway.

A few pounds saved is better than none, Antomac. I sort of guessed you mightn't be saving with such fervour as you were able to last year, but that's how life goes at times and other things take precedence whilst potting takes a little more of a back seat. One thing's for sure, you and Mrs Ant will be very happy with however much you've managed to save come November!

Talking of the rain, sun then more of the same over and over, I think autumn is certainly coming on in prematurely! It's either that or - it's April come early!!!

Hi again SeekingFlight and aren't you doing marvellously with your pot!! Keep potting however much you have, it all soon mounts up!

Afternoon
    Originally posted by 32b3in2013

I've not potted anything yet today but just popped in to se if Jakes-mum has popped by. Hope the hurricane is not effecting you if you see this Jakes-mum.

32b3

Hi 32b3, I'm sure she must be out there or she would most surely have been on here by now. I know things have been terrible for many out there including some sad fatalities but selfishly you can't help worrying very much indeed for our own dear jakes-mum, her DH and the children. I sincerely hope all is well for them and they stay safe!

Ah thank Heaven you're safely back after having had a truly amazing time, jakes-Mum!!!!!! What a relief!! You said about the times you were teary, I can tell you I was in tears when seeing you after I came to this page! Thank the Lord you're all so safe and I'm so delighted you had a really fantastic holiday!!!!!

Excellent work with the banking Hicksy!!!! A darned good job those £1 coins are out of the way too!!!!! Thanks a lot for popping your Total saved on your siggy.

Enjoy a great week, folks. ..... feed your pots well!!!

Sue xx

2nd November is the opening date for 2017.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!!

• jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 12th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 4,268 Posts
    • 41,346 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    I'm glad you are back Jakes-mum. The weather looks awful on the news.
    Hi 32b3, I'm sure she must be out there or she would most surely have been on here by now. I know things have been terrible for many out there including some sad fatalities but selfishly you can't help worrying very much indeed for our own dear jakes-mum, her DH and the children. I sincerely hope all is well for them and they stay safe!

Ah thank Heaven you're safely back after having had a truly amazing time, jakes-Mum!!!!!! What a relief!! You said about the times you were teary, I can tell you I was in tears when seeing you after I came to this page! Thank the Lord you're all so safe and I'm so delighted you had a really fantastic holiday!!!!!
    Originally posted by Sue-UU
    Ahh thank you both, yes we are very much safe and well We have been keeping up with events since we got home and its awful to see the damage that has been done but we are so thankful that 1) we left before it hit and 2) Irma shifted like she did so that she didn't go straight over florida with all those poor people and their homes. WHo knows how much worse it would have been if it had gone straight up the middle

DH was very panicky about the whole thing and I was all sing songy 'we'll be fine kids, don't worry, we'll be back in England long before the storm hits la la la la la' But other than Irma, it was a truly fantastic experience and we are very much agreed that it needs to be repeated in a few years (though maybe not in hurricane season this time!) We are a tad sad to return to the UK and our teeny tiny food portions though

In potting news I have 3 x £1 coins for the tin which is going to get fed much better for these last two months!

P.S I've just realised that the photosharing from photo bucket no longer works unless you pay a subscription fee so I can't show you the awesome fireworks
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £2210/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 12th Sep 17, 10:08 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 17,679 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

Sue - it was indeed worrying before we heard from Jakes-mum.

Jakes-mum - i remember the fireworks well, as well as the Mexican wave started by a real Mexican family whilst we were all waiting for the fireworks to start

£1.30 potted today.

I have just booked a little trip for just after the end of the challenge, so I better start saving more!

I hope everyone is well.

32b3
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • AntoMac
    • By AntoMac 13th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,068 Thanks
    AntoMac
    Thanks for your wise words of support Sue

Yes I will probably/possibly come in a bit below my £500 target but will still be very happy with it. We've all got other things to save for I'm sure, such as other holidays, next season's Bristol City season ticket etc etc.

Not long now. Keep going everyone. Glad you're safely home jakes-mum

Hope Cazzie is OK and we hear from her again soon
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 46

27/5/17 Mort 64,705 Bal Tfrs 19,040
    17/9/17 Mort 62,577 Bal Tfrs 17,602
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 14th Sep 17, 8:44 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 17,679 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

I saw on FB earlier that someone had seen signs on their bank saying they would not be accepting the old £1 when they go out of circulation. I thought they would take them for a little while after. I think I am going to open the pots and bank all the old £1s.

£4 potted today.

32b3
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • AntoMac
    • By AntoMac 14th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,068 Thanks
    AntoMac
    I think taking out the old pound coins and banking them now is a good idea 32b3. I fished mine out a few months back and make sure I don't pot any of the old ones.I always get rid of the 'old' ones as soon as I can.

Completely off topic with this thread I know but today somebody said (with no hint of irony) that I looked 'very elegant' . I am fairly sure that will be the first and only time this happens - I'm a 6ft 1 bearded bloke!
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 46

27/5/17 Mort 64,705 Bal Tfrs 19,040
    17/9/17 Mort 62,577 Bal Tfrs 17,602
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 15th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 17,679 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    I think taking out the old pound coins and banking them now is a good idea 32b3. I fished mine out a few months back and make sure I don't pot any of the old ones.I always get rid of the 'old' ones as soon as I can.

Completely off topic with this thread I know but today somebody said (with no hint of irony) that I looked 'very elegant' . I am fairly sure that will be the first and only time this happens - I'm a 6ft 1 bearded bloke!
    Originally posted by AntoMac
    Thanks AntoMac, I have taken your advice. I will be banking £260 in old £1 coins tomorrow. I am also taking the opportunity to bank the new £5 notes I have potted. So £390 to pot. I have £15 spare £1 coins so I will spend those and add the total of £405 to my signature and transfer that amount to my savings account when I pay the coins in. I could change it straight to $, I will keep an eye on the exchange rate.

Btw, you can still be an elegant 6ft 1 bearded man

Have a great weekend everyone

32b3
    Last edited by 32b3in2013; 16-09-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • thoragunnr
    • By thoragunnr 16th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    thoragunnr
    I'd like to join again if I may?

I have 2 sealed pots.

1 for myself to save between SEP 03, 2017 - MAY 31, 2020 as part of a 101 thing in 1001 days challenge I'm currently undertaking

and I have a new home fund since me and my boyfriend has both just opened up a Help to buy ISA
    and want to put as much in as we can... I know there's limitations but the pennies an add up to help push our goal forward a little
    •• #238 £1000 ef; £14.00/£1,000 •• H2B; £120.00 •• BLS:£10.88/£15,000 ••
    •• Retirement: £4.86 •• New Home FundJar: £5.83p •• VOSS Jar £0.00 ••
    • SeekingFlight
    • By SeekingFlight 16th Sep 17, 8:27 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    SeekingFlight
    £1.14 in shrapnel from my holiday and a £2 but it's a fancy pattern so i'm saving it to see of my mum has it in her collection.

and another £1.92 from the fair
    Last edited by SeekingFlight; 16-09-2017 at 7:45 PM.
    September make £5 a day £0/£150
    SPC Member 581 - 2107

"Remember not to do too many things at once" said me to herself.
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 16th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 17,679 Thanks
    32b3in2013

I have 2 sealed pots.

1 for myself to save between SEP 03, 2017 - MAY 31, 2020 as part of a 101 thing in 1001 days challenge I'm currently undertaking

and I have a new home fund since me and my boyfriend has both just opened up a Help to buy ISA
    and want to put as much in as we can... I know there's limitations but the pennies an add up to help push our goal forward a little
    Originally posted by thoragunnr
    Hello

Of course you can rejoin us. If you haven't already got a number, Sue will be along shortly to allocate you one.

Welcome

32b3
    Jan 17 NSD - 1/15

CCC 2017 #24 - £116/£300
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 16th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 4,268 Posts
    • 41,346 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    I have a £2 coin, I have a £2 Coin and I bet none of you can guess where I put it for safe keeping

Went to Mr W as they very kindly sent me £6 off £30 spend vouchers (and it would be rude not to use some!) so stocked up on my bog roll, kitchen roll and cereal (as they are the only shop that sell my cereal!) some pain au chocolate may have accidentaly fallen into my trolley as I was walking round but I class that as an energy revival after pushing all that bog roll round the store. (I am starting to wonder if the W@itrose staff think I have stomach issues as I only shop there when I get a voucher and always buy a rediculous amount of bog roll each visit was double sized rolls as well this time )

soooooo, in the tin is a lovely £2 coin, I also have a £1 coin which is begging me to pot it but my nasty local Mr T have finally updated their trolleys and relocked them all so you need a quid to use one poor £1, denied friends
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 16th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 8,487 Posts
    • 47,036 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Welcome aboard floragunnr!!!!!
    Originally posted by thoragunnr
    A very warm welcome aboard to you, thoragunnr!!! You already joined us a few pages ago and your No is 579. So you're sure of your membership, go back to the very 1st page and you'll see on the 3rd post that your name and No is almost at the end of the membership list. All the very best to you in potting cash and saving a lovely amount of money in no time!!!!!

Hello again SPCers! I hope you've all had a lovely week, and are now fully immersed into the weekend!
    To all members feeling poorly or low in spirits in any way, I do hope you all get well very very soon. Very best wishes and {{{{hugs}}}} to you all.

Well, it certainly sounds as if it was one heck of a time that you had over there, jakes-mum, "almost unbelievable" I think would describe how you're feeling about it and well done you! Yes it'll be lovely to look forward to going again in the future, and knowing you, you'll already have started planning now??!

That was a real shame about Photo Bucket, but not to worry.

I've had a few thoughts come to mind about where you might be keeping that £2 coin for safety, but best not put them on here! Oh... pain chocolat... c'est d!licieux, je l'aime tellement!!!! Onto the loo rolls..... flippin eck woman, I've heard of taking advantage, but.....!!!!!!!!! Why not, we all would given the chance - but YOU'VE got em all!!!!

I saw on FB earlier that someone had seen signs on their bank saying they would not be accepting the old £1 when they go out of circulation. I thought they would take them for a little while after. I think I am going to open the pots and bank all the old £1s.

£4 potted today.

32b3

Wonderful news to hear you've realised that you need spoiling by booking yourself some time away, 32b3! A break away gives us all something to look forward to so I'm sure you definitely will! Well done with your potting!
    PS. A few pages back Westie said exactly when the £1 coins would be gone for good 32b3. Ah, I see you're playing it safe and don't blame you; a lovely lot banked - so far, VERY WELL DONE!!!!!!! Whether you get it changed directly into $s or not have you popped the amount on your siggy ready for declaration day?! I expect so knowing you.

Exactly Antomac! No matter how much we're able to save, there are always things in life we need/want that we can enjoy having the ability to go out and buy without worry! Carry on saving hard then Ant!!

BTW. Re your off topic comment.... was it a fellar or woman that gave you the elegant title Ant?! Time to worry if 'twas a fellar or to feel flattered if twas a woman!!!! To be honest you sound like my hubby!

Nice potting SeekingFlight!!!! Some of the £2 coins have been really beautiful, though myself I've only seen one so far!

A nice £15 popped uin the pot after shopping was over!!!!!

Enjoy a super weekend, folks. ..... don't forget those pots!!!

Sue xx

2nd November is the opening date for 2017.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.

• MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 16th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 2,255 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    Potted 2 x £2s tonight, the first I've had in ages. The pot certainly isn't very heavy this year, I might just count it for the purpose of the challenge and then leave the money in it to roll over to next year. I've never filled one of these cans, and I've always been determined to. The first one I had said on it that you could save £500 in them but even half full of £2s a couple of years ago I got £300+ out of one so I've always been intrigued, just never managed to achieve it!! Hubby saves £1s so maybe I'll do both and chuck any £1s in that I have left each week.

Anyhoo, it's our busiest time at work at the moment. Our teaching students started back right at the beginning of the month, but the majority arrive this weekend. The rest of ours enrol on Monday and I think other departments at various times till the end of the month. 33,000 of them in total (including the returners).

Quidco is up to £79.84 for the year and I just had a sale on eB*y that made me almost £100.
    PAYDBX 2017 #71 £2352.41 / £3053.49 * Xmas 2017 #8 £434.50 / £365 * (2016 £424.32 / £366)
    * SPCNo.10 #66 (SPCNo.9 £442.64 inc Quidco to 2/11/16 £138.92 *
    • mummytummy
    • By mummytummy 17th Sep 17, 12:36 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    mummytummy
    MrsShazbat my pot isn't as heavy this year compared to previous years, I've had to dip in it a few times which is something I don't like to do, for next years challenge I am either going to seal my pot so tight it'll take me a month to get into it or buy a large sealed tin I want to get back to how i used to do it and that's to seal the pot and no opening or dipping into it until opening day...

47 Days 'til opening time

48 then we start again
    Last edited by mummytummy; 17-09-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge No.10 (2017) #11 ( from Sue-UU = 20) Save 12K in 2017 #17 £8000.15 MFiT-T4 #62 (51.64% saved) 50p Savers 2017 #2 £42 5p Savers 2017 #2 £12.00 Saving for Xmas 2017 #12 £1200/£1200.00
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 17th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 13,830 Thanks
    Westie983
    I have a £2 coin, I have a £2 Coin and I bet none of you can guess where I put it for safe keeping

Went to Mr W as they very kindly sent me £6 off £30 spend vouchers (and it would be rude not to use some!) so stocked up on my bog roll, kitchen roll and cereal (as they are the only shop that sell my cereal!) some pain au chocolate may have accidentaly fallen into my trolley as I was walking round but I class that as an energy revival after pushing all that bog roll round the store. (I am starting to wonder if the W@itrose staff think I have stomach issues as I only shop there when I get a voucher and always buy a rediculous amount of bog roll each visit was double sized rolls as well this time )

soooooo, in the tin is a lovely £2 coin, I also have a £1 coin which is begging me to pot it but my nasty local Mr T have finally updated their trolleys and relocked them all so you need a quid to use one poor £1, denied friends
    Originally posted by jakes-mum
    Made me laugh, I buy bog roll in bulk too, but its only me in the house :-)
    Save 12k in 2017 #16 Total £18,855/£12,000 157.12%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #97 Total (£252) +£158/£500 = 82.00% ( x 10)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £330/£365 = 90.41%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £1,350/£1,800 = 75.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2017 #3 Total (£1,450)+£50/£2,000 = 75.00%

Total £22,445/£16,665 = 134.68%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 17th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 2,877 Posts
    • 10,444 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Earlier this year I opened my sealed pot to take out my old £5 notes and also decided to take out my old £1 coins too. I replaced with other notes, coins - I'm mainly putting in £2 coins, new £1 coins and 50p's.

As the tin had been unsealed I looked in there today to see if I could use some of the notes in there rather than go to the cash point for my upcoming holiday and found I had less than £100 in notes. Didn't seem right at all.

I do have some money in the bank that will probably take my total up to around £500 but that is half what I had last year and I've only got 2 months to go.

Just had a call from my daughter. Her brother in law is doing a sponsored climb and she asked my yesterday if I would support him and wanted to know how much I could give. I said I would speak to my granddaughter who was going to sent it via one of these giving pages on the internet.

I've now been told that my daughter and husband have given £35, my granddaughter and her boyfriend have given £10, and to make it up to £70, which was the amount left to complete what he wanted to raise, my daughter decided my portion would be £25!

I was not amused. Is that mean of me? She said if it was too much she would put in more herself - I said forget it, it's done now. I now have to find where to pinch £25 from my budget and send it to her.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,403Posts Today

7,926Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin