Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    • 2,146Posts
    • 13,544Thanks
    parsniphead
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......
    • 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation....... 5th Jun 16 at 4:45 PM
    .............and the above are the reasons for virtually all of my problems in the past and present, be it debt, weight, careers and the state of the house.

I have plans, big plans which I don't have time to pop on here right now, but I intend to use this diary to sort me out once and for all.

It's going to be fun.....a real step into the unknown.

I can't wait.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
Page 34
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 12th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks both. I still have most of my list to to do. I think my day off tomorrow is going to be very, very busy.

I've been a bit disappointed today. I had the possible opportunity of working in the art dept but this has been refused by my line managers. The tutor specifically asked for me and it would have suited my skill set perfectly. Looks like I'm back to being a glorified babysitter.............

........but since I spent time in there last week I have definately come to realise I need to try and follow my heart. The above place would have worked perfectly with my self employed business but as it's not to be then I need to find another way. If only I could just drop the job and go self employed full time. I can't even explain how bored I am with what I'm doing. I got too the point today where I thought I was going to cry a few times and it's only day 2 with the students. How on earth do I sort this. I just don't know but I have to figure it out somehow. One thing which needs doing is paying off the debt. Tomorrow when I'm alone I'm going to look at the figures again.

The house is slightly better. Much work needed tomorrow and I'm going to set myself a mini challenge of "what can I achieve before taking DS to school". This depends on DS and how lively he is.

I also I tend to start spending 1/2hr on myself each evening just doing some sewing or art. I don't think this is too much to ask, is it?

Time to get back to my book. I'm trying to find the courage to change my life and if some reading can help or motivate then I'm up for it.

I will be successful.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    redofromstart
    How frustrating. The half hour idea is a good one. Can you make it a set time?
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Sep 17, 5:18 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I will try redo but sort of a before bed thing really.

I'm ready to go. I've had more than 2 hrs sleep .

Today I will

Get up to date with washing. ongoing
    Hang curtains. Done
    Make space in spare room for airer - buy new airer. Done
    Buy two new long sleeve jersey tops. I have none without holes. Done
    Clear out three bags of rubbish/charity shop/recycling. Take to charity shop. one bag for charity shop. Loads of junk thrown out and a big pile to recycling.
    Pay a small amount of debt.
    Do lots and lots of housework!. Ongoing

I will also start my woodwork in the hall.

This evening I need to start focussing on business plans and how to increase income.

No more Mr nice guy for me. I'm going for it.

Have a great day.
    Last edited by parsniphead; 13-09-2017 at 12:21 PM.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Just another quick one from me. I have been reading a book about success and improving things in life and this section jumped out at me. It's simple and obvious but I feel many of us don't do it. I certainly don't.

Improve your environment. Pay attention to how the things you surround yourself with make you feel. Pick at least one thing in all the following areas and upgrade in a way that gives you even more joy and energy:
    • Your home
    • Your car
    • Your clothes
    • Your general appearance
    • Your exercise routine
    • The food you eat
    • The music you listen to
    • The news you pay attention to

I certainly for one have been working on almost everyone of these areas for a while now and still have a long way to go with many. I like the music I listen to and have always been open to different stuff so I don't have an issue with that. Oh and I don't really watch the news anymore if I can avoid it (not easy with DH about) as it just gets me down and I feel helpless that there is not much I can do to change things......but the rest of the list, yes that's me.

Back now to the sorting the home bit.

• lcc86
    • By lcc86 13th Sep 17, 8:22 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hi parsniphead,

I like that quote (as long as it's done in a MSE way of course!) and agree that you have to make time for the things that make you happy in life! I hope you get a resolution at work as well, it's no fun being stuck doing something you don't enjoy, especially as we spend such a large proportion of time in the workplace.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original DFD

25/08/17 new total £802 back in debt but determined clear it by February 2018! 16/09/17 - £446 2017 365 day challenge £457 saved for emergency fund
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 13th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 10,621 Thanks
    abba1772
    That's rubbish that your line managers locked your move........can you ask them why they've blocked the move????
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £5604.60
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £4116.66 / £6000
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Sep 17, 10:46 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    That's rubbish that your line managers locked your move........can you ask them why they've blocked the move????
    Originally posted by abba1772
    It's that kind of place. It's really annoying but it has also given me a kick up the bum to get myself going. I know I don't want to be doing what I'm doing there now.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Hi parsniphead,

I like that quote (as long as it's done in a MSE way of course!) and agree that you have to make time for the things that make you happy in life! I hope you get a resolution at work as well, it's no fun being stuck doing something you don't enjoy, especially as we spend such a large proportion of time in the workplace.
    Originally posted by lcc86
    Oh always in an MSE way but the trouble is I have been too MSE and neglected stuff which now means it's going to cost me lots more to sort it now.

I need to find a balance and stop acting like I'm in total poverty. I can do things with a little hard work.

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    You are forging ahead with that jobs list! I will have to get a move on with mine.

Well done on the 'more than two hours' sleep'!! I have a feeling if we could crack that one it would make such a difference for the better - if I get to bed any later and you get up any earlier, we will meet in the middle. However, it's amazing what we can do on a few hours.

May I ask, 'What's the book'? It does sound interesting and I like my self-help books. My favourites are Marie Kondo (for inspiration to declutter, not because I'm going to do the proper system) and anything 'hygge', because that resonates with me. Oh, and periodic dives into Flylady.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Sep 17, 12:20 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks cherryfudge. I think between the two of us with our weird hours we have most of the day covered.

The book is called You are a bad@ss at making money: Master the mindset of wealth by Jen Sincero. I'm not sure of what I think of it but it has made me contemplate what I'm doing, which is a good thing, whether I followed her advise or not. Oh and she sometimes uses bad language so be aware. I don't like the language but it doesn't bother me that much.

I'm still going and have added two phone calls to the jobs list which have both been completed. Lunch soon I think. Mind you I don't need it really after accidentally eating two jam donuts.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,513 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It's that kind of place. It's really annoying but it has also given me a kick up the bum to get myself going. I know I don't want to be doing what I'm doing there now.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    In the words of the late great Whitney Houston "It's not right, but its okay. I'm going to make it anyway'
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,513 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Improve your environment. Pay attention to how the things you surround yourself with make you feel. Pick at least one thing in all the following areas and upgrade in a way that gives you even more joy and energy:
    • Your home
    • Your car
    • Your clothes
    • Your general appearance
    • Your exercise routine
    • The food you eat
    • The music you listen to
    • The news you pay attention to
    I love this list. Thank you. I needed to hear that
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Mind you I don't need it really after accidentally eating two jam donuts.
    that is so me!
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    In the words of the late great Whitney Houston "It's not right, but its okay. I'm going to make it anyway'
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I'm more of an Alice Cooper girl but the sentiment is very appreciated.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I love this list. Thank you. I needed to hear that
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I failed on the food you eat today. Donuts...mmmmmmm

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    that is so me!
    Originally posted by redofromstart

I won't mention the third donut then. Skulks away with shame on my face.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    So an update. I'm pleased with my achievements today. I feel very exhausted though. Still it highlights the work ahead of me to get everything sorted but every little step is a positive one.

Today I did

Get up to date with washing. Done
    Hang curtains. Done
    Make space in spare room for airer - buy new airer. Done
    Buy two new long sleeve jersey tops. I have none without holes. Done
    Clear out three bags of rubbish/charity shop/recycling. Take to charity shop. one bag for charity shop. Loads of junk thrown out and a big pile to recycling. This has now been deposited at the charity shop
    Pay a small amount of debt.
    Do lots and lots of housework!. Forever Ongoing

I will also start my woodwork in the hall. Not started

My huge step forward today has been the charity shop run. It was all DS's t shirts. He wouldn't wear any this year as he likes his arms covered and they would not have fit next year if he changes his mind. Throwing out his stuff has always been a massive struggle so such an achievement for me. I don't think I could do the baby or toddler stuff though. I suppose as long as the saved pile doesn't get bigger I will be ok.

I'm going to spend half an hour in the sewing room then have a nice bath. I really wish I was off work tomorrow to carry on. Tomorrow night DS is going to a new football club (we don't do football in this house -Where did I go wrong with him), so nothing will be done tomorrow night. I guess I will have to wait until Friday after work. .

Thanks for your support everyone. Now if someone could wire my jaw shut when donuts are in town I would be ok. No wonder I rarely buy them.

Night all

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 13th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Doing grand there Parsniphead
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Leaving the third doughnut in the bag when it so clearly wanted to join the others would have smacked of heartlessness - so you did the right thing.

Just give yourself a rest from doing that particular right things again tomorrow.

Absolutely crackingly good going on the jobs list (especially the hard-to-part-with tee shirts - but maybe they will make someone else happy). About the art department - perhaps you need to be keeping an ear to the ground for a full-time opportunity there?
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 14th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 10,621 Thanks
    abba1772
    I won't mention the third donut then. Skulks away with shame on my face.

This is me with crisps
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £5604.60
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £4116.66 / £6000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,452Posts Today

7,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin