Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    • 2,146Posts
    • 13,544Thanks
    parsniphead
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......
    • 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation....... 5th Jun 16 at 4:45 PM
    .............and the above are the reasons for virtually all of my problems in the past and present, be it debt, weight, careers and the state of the house.

I have plans, big plans which I don't have time to pop on here right now, but I intend to use this diary to sort me out once and for all.

It's going to be fun.....a real step into the unknown.

I can't wait.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
Page 3
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Dec 16, 7:16 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Goodness, its been nearly three months since I came on MSE.

Finally things seem a little calmer and I'm looking forward to Christmas.

It's been a hell of a year with a summer I never want to repeat but don't want to go into too much detail. The past has gone and now it's time to look forward. On thing for sure, I will be glad to see the back of 2016.

I'm currently working part time at a college and part time on my business. It's frustrating as I earn a pittance at the college and could make more money myself but I just need to keep things as they are for the time being. I will keep doing extra, building up what I have and when the time is right I will jump.

Debt, oh my goodness it has spiralled. I feel so disappointed but sometimes life throws obstacles which have to be dealt with. I currently have £6500 on cards which is annoying but needs to be dealt with ASAP. This year coming this needs to be sorted. I have said this every year but I have always just plodded along. I can no longer plod along, it has to be gone. I have been following Dave Ramsey a lot recently and have made good progress this month already. Every spare penny goes at debt. When it's gone I will feel much more secure and if the issues start again it will be easier to deal with. Once they are gone the mortgage (which is a small amount comparatively) is going.

I will try to update regularly but it may be difficult due to time restraints.

Keep well all.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • ada-or-ardor
    • By ada-or-ardor 13th Dec 16, 7:46 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    ada-or-ardor
    Dont be too hard on yourself parsniphead, it sounds like you've had a really tough year and at times like that is when people need money they don't have and therefore debt and credit. It doesn't make you a bad person, taking care of your husband and your security are more important. I hope 2017 is a great year for you, your business, your family and their health, and most of all, debt busting!! :-)

Ada
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 14th Dec 16, 7:53 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thank you for your support Ada.

Life has been interesting for the past few months, well the whole year actually, but things happen for a reason and lessons have to be learned from experiences.

I have been on this site for such a long time. I used to sign on using a different name, so it's probably been near to ten years ish. I have seen so many people come on with debt and leave again debt free. I need it to be my time to get debt free. I break up Friday and have lots of plans for the next two weeks, not just Christmassy ones. Let's see how life rolls next.

X

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 15th Dec 16, 6:58 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Last day of work today before finishing for Christmas. I have plenty of plans to keep me going for the next two weeks which will help cement to debt attack I'm planning.

I have been using D4ve Ramseys Everyd0llar for the past few months and it has really helped with my budgeting. I do get funny looks at the bank though when I go in asking for large amounts of £1 coins to cover parking, tuck shop, etc. I did consider YNAB but I don't have a desk top or laptop so that's no good to me. Plus I would have to pay for it and I don't want to..

Tomorrow I need to complete a sewing job and get paid which will go towards one of the debts, the finish sewing DH's christmas gift. Then at the end of the day DS breaks up and chaos will begin.

Right packed lunch to do then some jobs before work.

X

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 18th Dec 16, 9:43 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Gazelle Intense
    My house is so full, bursting at the seams. It's time to not only clear the debt but clear the house. This week, with DS in tow I'm going to get rid of so much stuff it's going to let the house rise up on its foundations.

I'm a real sentimentalist and get sad about getting rid of stuff with the daftest reasons. It all has to go. Once it's done the house needs to made into a home. I have the skills,capabilities,knowledge......I can do this.

Money, I have to be Gazelle intense. I'm hammering down on everything I can. If I can learn to be a better cook then I can cut down the food bill a bit more. I'm frugal but could be better.

I'm feeling very, very excited and positive.

Life is for living and I'm bl00dy well going to start living it, rather than existing.

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 18th Dec 16, 11:13 AM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 25,609 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Hello, we have crossed on various diaries and I just stumbled across yours today. Like you, I just want to get shot of 2016 but am trying not to park everything to the new year. You're dealing with a lot so cut yourself some slack and take care of you.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 18th Dec 16, 11:44 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks INOD

It's true, if we don't look after ourselves, we can't look after others. I'm a rusher. Rushing here and there all of the time. I've made a con ions effort to slow down in the past few weeks and see what's happening around me rather than rushing by. It's made such a difference.

I hope 2017 is better for you.
    X

• lionheartedgirl
    • By lionheartedgirl 18th Dec 16, 12:08 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 3,197 Thanks
    lionheartedgirl
    hi parnsniphead, another person popping in to say hi from a previous incarnation! Sounds like you've had a monster of a year. I hope 2017 brings you wonderful things.

I'm a dreadful rusher too so am with you on trying to slow down to go faster haha.

LHG X
    Never sit in the comfy chair - Jake Humphrey
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 18th Dec 16, 1:04 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks Lionheartedgirl

It's very strange, I was just reading your diary while cooking lunch and you turn up on mine.

Yes not rushing is making such a difference.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 19th Dec 16, 6:53 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    A good weekend with the little person and only £2 spent.

Dh is at work until Thursday so I have four days with DS which I haven't done for such a long time. The house needs to be knocked into shape ready for Christmas and decluttering needs to be continued.

I also have some sewing to complete so I can get paid for it. I have another debt to chase up for some work I did for an ex colleague who hasn't paid. I'm really annoyed about this as she knows my situation.

Tonight I have a project planned. I use everyd0llar to track my expenses, so I thought I may get ahead and do my monthly budgets for all of 2017. It will be easier then to go on and just make adjustments and I can plan for the unpaid weeks during the college holiday in the summer. It's really easy as I just have to carry over the budget from the previous month and then adjust any differences. I think I may the feel a little more in control of what little cash I have coming in.

Right housework and decluttering, then breakfast later.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 20th Dec 16, 7:24 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Morning diary

Yesterday was a good day and I started to make a difference on the house. There is still a lot to do but I have made a positive start.

This morning I have attacked the mould in the bathroom which has started to come back, done the washing up, put some washing to dry, put more washing in and put some washing away. A little bit of breakfast then I need to carry on for a while.

I also transferred all of my budget yesterday on every dollar and now have basic figures for the coming year. I do need to sit and tweak them at sometime today but I'm feeling more in control.

Now food, Im ravenous.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 21st Dec 16, 7:05 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Today has started well. I got paid and had received some back pay which has lifted a bit of weight from my shoulders. All of the unexpected extra will go towards debt repayment.. For now though I have transferred it all to my savings account and it will be transferred back to my current account on the last day of the month. That way I won't end up using money I shouldn't.

Yesterday was brilliant. I spent most of the day cleaning and clearing. The kitchen looks much better. It's clean, tidy and uncluttered. Its a vile, white, 60's carbuncle with half plastered and half artexed walls but it's tidy and I can cook in it. One day a new kitchen....a girl can dream.

I managed to fill two bin bags with rubbish and also threw out some other old, broken stuff. It's not like me.

The rest of the house looked tidier to except for the 30 drawings my DS has blutack3d everywhere. He does love to draw bless him and I'm not going to stifle his creativity.

Today I'm going to do my big fortnightly shop at 8am and will top up any treats later this week if needed. Well it is christmas and we all deserve the odd treat. I will then carry on with the big clear out, do some sewing and pop to the charity shop with a couple of bags of stuff. . Oh and the fish needed cleaning out but I may leave that for DH on Friday. I think upstairs and the stair may have to wait until tomorrow.

DS's bedroom also needs doing as santa will trip over and break his neck if he goes in there. A joint job I think.

Right breakfast then shopping.

X

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st Dec 16, 9:45 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,513 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I have just read your diary parsnip and you have had a very challenging year with lots of change. You have done really well and should give yourself credit for that. I, like you want to work part-time and have a part-time income stream too. You have inspired me Thank you.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st Dec 16, 10:01 PM
    • 10,473 Posts
    • 69,421 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Well done on your big tidy and clean up, always feels so nice to be organised.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 21st Dec 16, 10:25 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thank you Doingitanyway and Bobarella

I have always felt a patchwork career is much more suited to my personality. I do struggle to focus on the same thing day in and day out. I guess I must enjoy a lot of variety.

I was planning on with the big clear out today but DS put paid to that. We ended up having a good day together though.

I have plans for tomorrow.which hopefully will go ahead but for now its time for bed.

P x

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 22nd Dec 16, 7:09 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Morning diary

Hopefully today will continue at the same pace as the start of the week. It's my last day with just me a DS on our own. DH breaks up today for Christmas and I struggle to do stuff when he is cluttering up the place.

Today I need to complete some paid work and get paid. I also need to chase up payment again from an ex colleague. I feel so angry that she asked me to do a job and hasn't paid. The fact it was for a special occasion makes me more cross.

I also need to work out how much DH owes me for his half of the christmas food shop. I also need to bank the payment received for garage rental or it will be frittered away.

Later DH's Christmas gift needs completing. I only need to put on the buttons and press it.....oh and wrap it with the other gifts.

DS's bedroom still needs sorting, so a little job for both of us later. My bedroom also needs a tidy, polish and vacuum.

I'm wondering whether to pay my cc bills early or wait until the end of the month. I just think I will get stressed if all the money goes from the account now. It's also complicated by me applying for a 0% card yesterday and provisionally being accepted for £5100. This would cover most of my debt. I could then just hit the last little bit with interest hard then start attacking the 0%. Do I pay or wait to see if it can be transferred in the next few days.

I think I better get started.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 22nd Dec 16, 8:14 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I definately have the waffles on me this morning. It's down to too much thinking.

I have been working on the yearly budgets ( there is still a bit to do), and it got me thinking about the coming year. I have lots of things I would like to do but due to the state of the house I never get round to anything, or just feel so overwhelmed I give up. Anyway now I have a list. They are not New Years resolutions, they don't work for me, but here goes........(they may change as the months go on).

House

Continue with decluttering. The amount achieved this week has shown me how much time can be freed up by having a tidy room. It takes a few minutes to sort in the morning. Who'd have thought it eh!
    Sort through one draw per day on work days and one area per day on days off.

Clear out the cellar. I don't see it but know it's there.

As above but the sheds in the garden.

Start freshening up the decorating. I would love to do it properly but we need some rewiring done and I really need new windows. I currently have single glazed which let out loads of heat and constantly run with condensation in the winter.

Start a savings account for windows when debt free.

Me
    I need to lose three stone to get back to a healthy weight. My problem is I'm so bored with food. I'm going to try a new food each week to try to get myself more interested in eating properly. I have just found out i do like radishes in salad and falafels.

Garden
    I have started to study permaculture this year. I'm very early on in my learning but want to continue. My garden has been very productive in the past and I want it to be again. The winter will be spent prepping it for next season. Any food grown will also cut down on the food bill.

Money
    Become debt free and have savings.

Starts overpaying mortgage when debt free.

Increase money earnt through self employment.

I'm dreadful for waiting. Waiting for the right time, waiting for things to happen, waiting to be given permission. I don't know what or where this magical time or place I'm waiting for is. I'm already here and I have wasted 46 years waiting. No more waiting.

Basically, it's time to start living again. Be more organised and stop procrastinating.
    Last edited by parsniphead; 22-12-2016 at 8:17 AM.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 22nd Dec 16, 10:58 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    This is getting silly today. I must come off MSE, but I'm so excited............

I was accepted for another 0-% credit card.

I will be able to transfer all the horrible v4nquis and 4qua card debt to it and cancel them. Oh I can't wait to ring up and cancel them. No more horrible 39% interest rate. . As soon as its transfered they will be gone, gone, gone.

I have always been a bit jealous of the folks who have debt but all or most is on 0%. I will have a bit on a card with interest but will start hammering that ASAP. Plus as my new one has a transfer window of 90 days I will have a short time to transfer some from the interest paying card to the 0% one as space becomes free.

I'm so excited

Right sewing... Earn more money.

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 24th Dec 16, 10:21 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Having a little relax before bathe then bed. All the christmas prep is done apart from writing DH's card.

A good day today. Since I have been more mindful and slowing down I have been more relaxed. I had a little blip today but it passed.

I finally managed to get the sewing job back to its rightful owner and got paid. Some more to pay off towards debt. I do feel positive that this year coming is going to be the year I will finally beat the debt, well cc debt anyway. Getting rid of the mortgage would be fab but that would be an impossible challenge.

Anyway for anyone reading my ramblings I wish you a happy christmas and hope the year coming brings you peace and happiness.

Ali x

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 27th Dec 16, 7:24 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I hope you had a good christmas all.

I had had a couple of easy days but plan to start hitting the house again tomorrow. I need to restore peace in the sewing room as I had some lovely fabrics and patterns for Christmas which I want to get started on.

Another job is getting rid of my old suite which is sitting by the back gate. I will probably be able to get the chair in the car but the settee will need breaking up. Another issues is the entry is full of the neighbours clutter so I will struggle to get the chair down. I can see a certain neighbour getting stroppy when asked to move it. It is jointly owed so I'm annoyed he feels it's ok to use it as a dumping ground.

DS Christmas gifts need sorting too. He had a reasonably sensible pile until grandparents and family got involved.

Tonight when DS goes to bed I'm going to finalise January's budget. I'm going to be very tough next month. I have may wages which were paid early in a savings account ready to transfer back to my main account.

Tomorrow is going to be a big sorting day and I'm looking forward to it. first thing is a trip to the charity shop.

Night all.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,523Posts Today

7,661Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin