Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    shazm.69
    can i claim child tax credits for my grandchildren
    • 5th Dec 12, 6:06 PM
    can i claim child tax credits for my grandchildren 5th Dec 12 at 6:06 PM
    My daughter and her 2 children are living with me temporarily. My daughter has been trying to claim tax credits but cannot as they are saying her national insurance number isnt activated. We have been waiting for 3 weeks and when ever we call them they say she has to wait another 2 weeks. She is getting desperate now as she has no money and i cannot afford to support them on my income.
    Can i apply for child tax credits until she gets sorted out?
Page 1
  • miduck
    • 5th Dec 12, 6:26 PM
    No, she must apply. She should ask to speak to a manager and find out why there is such a delay.
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 5th Dec 12, 6:26 PM
    • 12,624 Posts
    • 9,522 Thanks
    Poppycat
    why dont you give them a ring and ask. I am not sure but probably not but no harm asking

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-credits

Tax Credit Helpline
    Telephone: 0345 300 3900
    Textphone: 0345 300 3909
    Outside the UK: +44 2890 538 192
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
    Saturday 8am to 4pm

• shazm.69
    • 5th Dec 12, 9:27 PM
    • 5th Dec 12, 9:27 PM
    Who do i ring to ask to speak to a manager the tax credits or the national insurance helpline???
  • ILW
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:01 AM
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:01 AM
    Not being funny but, in your other thread you said your grandchildren are Spanish citizens. Is nobody chasing the Spanish social security people? If nothing else it will increase the chances of a payout.
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 6th Dec 12, 10:15 AM
    • 7,019 Posts
    • 7,701 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:15 AM
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:15 AM
    Not being funny but, in your other thread you said your grandchildren are Spanish citizens. Is nobody chasing the Spanish social security people? If nothing else it will increase the chances of a payout.
    Originally posted by ILW
    But why claim from Spain when you can get more off us mugs in this country.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • shazm.69
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:33 AM
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:33 AM
    My daughter is British and as far as i am concerned so are her children. They were only born in spain.
    And as for spanish social they didnt get a cent when they were there so why wld they give them anything now? Her partner wants to find work asap but is waiting for a national insurance number as he needs a CSCS card. The child tax credits will go towards feeding the babies as my daughter cannot.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 6th Dec 12, 10:39 AM
    • 35,518 Posts
    • 45,710 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:39 AM
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:39 AM
    She also needs to ring the DWP up and sort the NI number out. Ive never heard of an NI no not being activated.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
  • ILW
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:43 AM
    • 6th Dec 12, 10:43 AM
    My daughter is British and as far as i am concerned so are her children. They were only born in spain.
    And as for spanish social they didnt get a cent when they were there so why wld they give them anything now? Her partner wants to find work asap but is waiting for a national insurance number as he needs a CSCS card. The child tax credits will go towards feeding the babies as my daughter cannot.
    Originally posted by shazm.69
    Are you sure you are getting the full story?
    The Spanish system is pretty similar to the UK one.
    The UK do not get many "benefit tourists" from Spain.
    Why are the paternal grandparent refusing to help?
    Last edited by ILW; 06-12-2012 at 10:46 AM.
  • shazm.69
    No it most definately isnt the same. If you have no money in spain and no job you are entitled to nothing. If you are not paying into the social you dont get anything. Most jobs in spain are paid cash so the employer gets away with not paying your social. I lived there for a while and if i couldnt pay my electricity they would come and remove the metre until you pay the full amount. They are mercenary i have experienced this myself.
  • ILW
    OP
    You need to step back and take all the emotion out of this.
    From your replies, I could not tell whether this is an issue for DWP or Immigration.
    If you cannot be clear with the authorities, none of them will help you.
    For example: What nationality are the children officially?
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 6th Dec 12, 5:06 PM
    • 8,807 Posts
    • 8,498 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    It's not mercenary it appears that the Spanish authorities has grown some balls.

I wish ours would.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • shazm.69
    They are spanish but entitled to dual nationality as their mother is British.
    They have no immigration issues they are EU citizens.
    The reason why their are no "SPANISH BENEFIT TOURISTS" is probably because the spanish are not afraid of working for a living. My daughters partner intends to work asap! He has applied for a job already but has no NI number yet.
  • ILW
    They are spanish but entitled to dual nationality as their mother is British.
    They have no immigration issues they are EU citizens.
    The reason why their are no "SPANISH BENEFIT TOURISTS" is probably because the spanish are not afraid of working for a living. My daughters partner intends to work asap! He has applied for a job already but has no NI number yet.
    My understanding is that even EU members are not entitled to receive benefits immediatly on arrival in a foreign EU country.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 6th Dec 12, 5:53 PM
    • 35,518 Posts
    • 45,710 Thanks
    McKneff
    It's not mercenary it appears that the Spanish authorities has grown some balls.

I wish ours would.
    Originally posted by somethingcorporate
    I was just thinking the same thing myself.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
  • shazm.69
    Who said he was claiming benefits????? He isnt for gods sake if you cant give helpful friendly advice dont bother. Go get a life. You sad interfering old busy bodies
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 6th Dec 12, 6:30 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    kelpie35
    How long have they been staying with you?

How much money did they bring with them to support themselves till they found employment?
  • shazm.69

I wish ours would.
    Originally posted by somethingcorporate
    Did you live there then and get deserted by your partner with 4 children lose 200k on a house that we stupidly bought there. And then get no help from authorities and were forced to come home. Im leaving this forum and complaining about all you ignorant obviously very bored old men and probably racist. And discriminitive. Why are you even on this forum if all you do is criticize people that are less fortunate than you. One day you or a family member could be in the same boat good riddance and thanks for nothing .
  • Slowhand
    My daughter and her 2 children are living with me temporarily. My daughter has been trying to claim tax credits but cannot as they are saying her national insurance number isnt activated. We have been waiting for 3 weeks and when ever we call them they say she has to wait another 2 weeks. She is getting desperate now as she has no money and i cannot afford to support them on my income.
    Can i apply for child tax credits until she gets sorted out?
    Did you live there then and get deserted by your partner with 4 children lose 200k on a house that we stupidly bought there. And then get no help from authorities and were forced to come home. Im leaving this forum and complaining about all you ignorant obviously very bored old men and probably racist. And discriminitive. Why are you even on this forum if all you do is criticize people that are less fortunate than you. One day you or a family member could be in the same boat good riddance and thanks for nothing .

I don't understand?
  • ILW
    Who said he was claiming benefits????? He isnt for gods sake if you cant give helpful friendly advice dont bother. Go get a life. You sad interfering old busy bodies
    I thought the point of this thread was about claiming benefits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,401Posts Today

8,053Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin