Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 12th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 7Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Massive Equifax data breach - what you need to know
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    MSE News: Massive Equifax data breach - what you need to know 12th Sep 17 at 2:25 PM
    Credit report heavyweight Equifax has warned that millions of people - including some in the UK - may have had their personal details stolen as part of a massive data breach. Info on exactly who's been affected and what you can do about it is sketchy so far, but here's what we know...
    Read the full story:
    'Massive Equifax data breach - what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 15-09-2017 at 1:20 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 12th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    For those who know internet memes: Patrick Stewart Mild Shock Gif here.

For everyone else. This is just sad, not a shock.

What is disgusting is that Equifax knew they were hacked for nearly 2 months before telling the public. So people can have had their identities stolen because of this breach yet be left in the dark as to why.

There needs to be a law in the US, UK and elsewhere that says if your personal information gets leaked, that you are told the moment the company who lost it is aware of it. I think the new EU laws replacing the UK DPA may address this but the US needs to get up to speed also.

If there has been UK data lost too as well as US data, Equifax needs to tell the UK ICO right now, yesterday even.
    • Jezzamk
    • By Jezzamk 12th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    Jezzamk
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    It is disgusting that Equifax is letting US citizens check if their data has been hacked but not those in the UK.

Although I have never used Equifax my data is probably on their systems as data is sourced from all sorts of places.

I think that they should have their UK licence suspended until we are given the same access as US citizens.

Due to the nature of the business and the time it has taken them to discover and reveal the data loss I hope that they are given a record fine and forced to compensate all victims.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 12th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 6,287 Posts
    • 19,198 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    It is disgusting that Equifax is letting US citizens check if their data has been hacked but not those in the UK.

Although I have never used Equifax my data is probably on their systems as data is sourced from all sorts of places.

I think that they should have their UK licence suspended until we are given the same access as US citizens.

Due to the nature of the business and the time it has taken them to discover and reveal the data loss I hope that they are given a record fine and forced to compensate all victims.
    Originally posted by Jezzamk
    Almost a certainty, I'd say, along with most people in the UK. I echo your sentiments. About time somebody came clean on this one.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 12th Sep 17, 8:37 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:37 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:37 PM
    At least, if it was in an EU/EEA country, you'd have their equivalent of the Data Protection Act / Information Commissioner to protect and pursue them locally.

The US (& probably Brexit England ) has inferior data protection rules.
    • cjv
    • By cjv 12th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    cjv
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    For anyone worried about their Clearscore data as they use Equifax, here is their statement:

https://help.clearscore.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/336/0/information-for-clearscore-customers-about-equifax-us-data-breach

They state "We do not believe that this incident affects ClearScore".

Some people also state that they do not believe in Father Christmas, but most of us know he is real so it does not fill me with confidence
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Sep 17, 12:20 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:20 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:20 AM
    For anyone worried about their Clearscore data as they use Equifax, here is their statement:

https://help.clearscore.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/336/0/information-for-clearscore-customers-about-equifax-us-data-breach

They state "We do not believe that this incident affects ClearScore".

Some people also state that they do not believe in Father Christmas, but most of us know he is real so it does not fill me with confidence
    Originally posted by cjv
    Nice point!!

However Clearscore is pretty much irrelevant, because if the hackers have your data via Equifax - well they have your data! It's already too late to worry about clearscore.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Sep 17, 12:23 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:23 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:23 AM
    give me a reason why they would care about the uk, we just provide a bit of additional income that is all any of these DCAs care about.
    Last edited by badmemory; 13-09-2017 at 12:25 AM.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 13th Sep 17, 12:53 AM
    • 1,524 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:53 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:53 AM
    At least, if it was in an EU/EEA country, you'd have their equivalent of the Data Protection Act / Information Commissioner to protect and pursue them locally.

The US (& probably Brexit England ) has inferior data protection rules.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng

Of course those in the EU feel the need for a right to privacy. You tend to when you've been spied on and oppressed by fascists and communists in Germany and throughout Eastern Europe.

Redress is surely the fair comparison. We have toothless fines by the ICO whereas in the USA they in fact have hefty financial penalties for all corporates from HSBC's money laundering to the polluter in the Erin Brokovich film (a true story). Whereas we famously let Goodwin off the hook completely and another was let out after he pretended to be ill.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • Sledgehead
    • By Sledgehead 13th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Sledgehead
    What I think is equally amusing is that MSE only woke up to this on the 12th Sep. That's: 5 days after the telegraph story. 6 days after first reports. 6 weeks after Equifax knew 6 months after the hack If it were a new 0% balance transfer offer, you'd have know a week before it happened! Then the article MSE ran was titled : "Massive Equifax data breach - what you need to know" But by the end of the article I realised that MSE had no advice of any significance at all, so given the inevitable worry, maybe ignorance would have been preferable. If after all you are gonna run a stale article, at least bring something new to the party. I'm afraid to say it is a wakeup call. So called 'consumer champions' are only there for us when they can make a buck. On issues like this, they are irrelevant.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    badmemory
    tenchy started a thread on this on the 8th sorry don't know how to post link!
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 13th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    RG2015
    tenchy started a thread on this on the 8th sorry don't know how to post link!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5707901
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 13th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    boo_star

Although for those US citizens the site they set up to check if you were affected also required them to sign an agreement that you couldn't sue Equifax for their negligence, you had to do it via arbitration.

Thankfully this was pointed out and they backed down but it never ceases to amaze me how disgustingly these companies can behave.
    Last edited by boo_star; 13-09-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 14th Sep 17, 6:56 AM
    • 6,287 Posts
    • 19,198 Thanks
    Doc N
    Equifax and the UK - What's Going On (Rory Cellan-Jones, BBC Technology correspondent)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41257580
    • Sledgehead
    • By Sledgehead 16th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Sledgehead
    IMPACT on UK: 16/09/2017 : Equifax say 44k
    Latest.

Good news is we've taken 3 whole zeros off the impact:
    Equifax hack puts data of 400,000 UK customers at risk

.. a file containing UK consumer information “may potentially have been accessed”.

The data includes names, dates of birth, email addresses and telephone numbers, but does not contain postal addresses, passwords or financial information.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 16th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    badmemory
    But can we actually trust them? A company that has management that uses the time between finding out & letting anyone know to sell their own shares (even if they have now gone) is not one I personally would trust. They can't be the only ones that knew.

Also a company that is so incompetent that it employs senior people who use username & password "admiin" is definitely not one we should trust.
    • Sledgehead
    • By Sledgehead 16th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Sledgehead
    Oh, for sure we can't trust them (you shouldn't trust anyone). But the fact that they claim only non-secret data loss means there is pretty much nothing one needs to do (legally) to protect oneself in this regard.
    Last edited by Sledgehead; 16-09-2017 at 4:08 PM.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 16th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    badmemory
    Sorry I didn't explain myself very well. When I mentioned trust, I didn't mean trust in general terms. I meant can we trust them to have told the truth now. They have proved that they will lie & that they will try to cheat by getting people to pay extra to protect themselves from the results of their own flaws.

We have absolutely no grounds for trusting them to tell the truth or to protect our information or indeed to trust them not to try to charge us extra to protect the very data THEY lost.

The system in this country does not seem to have anything like enough teeth to protect us, so where do we go from here.
    • Sledgehead
    • By Sledgehead 16th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Sledgehead
    Sorry ....I didn't mean trust in general terms. I meant can we trust them to have told the truth now.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    That's why I said there was nothing you were now legally obliged to do. They have told us the nature of the data lost. None of it can be classed as secret. Moreover none of it can be altered. There is therefore nothing we can or should do to 'rescue' the situation. If we are the subject of ID fraud as a result, a judge or jury is unlikely to conclude we could have avoided such a fate, based on this announcement.

If they have lied and the breach is worse, no judge or jury will blame us for taking Equifax at their word.

Of course, this may well be of little comfort to some. But what can we do when the world is beguiled by frictionless payments and contactless skinny macchiatos?
    Last edited by Sledgehead; 16-09-2017 at 4:21 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,320Posts Today

9,590Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin