Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 676Posts
    • 2,083Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 16
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hello everyone and sorry to be away for the past few days.

Got loads done at Mum's but wore myself out there and came straight back in to one of Those Situations at work, so I'm tired and looking forward to a few days off this week. One more shift to go before days off!

I'll try to update later: I kept a note of spends while away but not when I got back so I'm hoping I haven't forgotten too much.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 4th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Hope you manage to get a few rest days this week, sounds like you've had a busy few days.
    LBM-March 17 £2861/£33554 (8.5%) paid
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    This will be a bitty and probably much-edited post as I try to get the facts & figures together from the past nearly-a-week.

Meanwhile: I have three days off and I'm going to hold on to them, though work is imploding with a staffing 'situation'. The trouble is, the same few people have been holding the fort for a while and are exhausted. I'll be back in the melee at the end of the week, which is soon enough.

An odd bit of home news: DD left home (again) a few months ago and (long story short) this means there is now an empty chest of drawers! Although I miss DD a lot, it seems I can now have proper drawer space for my clothes! I would rather have her back, but I know she's happier in her own place, and four adults in a house this size was a bit tight. As I haven't had full sized drawer space for my clothes in all the time we've lived here, I'm looking forward to moving my tee shirts, trousers and nightwear into drawers not semi-neat stacks on a little trolley/ back of a dressing table drawer/ top of a box, which is where they are now. Once that's done, I'll have no excuse but to clear the papers I've dumped in a corner of the bedroom and which are trying to spread from there. It really is a disgrace, but I don't really see it as I see it so often, IYSWIM.

Money...

29th
    Spends:
    Vitamins (medical) 99p
    Garden £1.75
    Household £8.00
    Clothing £2.00
    Wool (donation) £2.55
    30th
    NSD.
    MS stuff:
    Overnight shift the night before ran on into the early hours so can claim a bit for extra hours worked.
    Avoided Primarni through buying slightly different ticket to Mum's house. This saves quite a bit in the clothing budget!
    Ticket was about £7 cheaper than my normal one.
    Got £5 refund from Mr T for errors in my order. They didn't want the items back so I gave them to a friend who happens to love them.
    Got engine oil on my jumper but remembered and managed to locate Eucalyptus oil at Mum's house, removed the stain successfully and thus saved the jumper and the cost of a new bottle of oil.
    31st
    Spends:
    Paintstripper and dust masks (household) £11.38 - will reclaim from estate.
    In not-so-good news, discovered the garage roof at Mum's house needs replacing (or the garage needs rebuilding, possibly). Also spent some time reviewing options with a company who can replace the boiler there. Turns out the chap has renovated a few properties in the area and gave his recommendations based on needs of the house/optimum for resale. Seems straight but I think I need another quotation or two. The work has to be done to comply with insurance and stop the building deteriorating over winter, and needs to be a good enough spec to lure buyers not put them off with a system needing upgrading. The radiators will all need to be replaced too! Was hoping to get away with partial replacement but it's a very old system and he showed me how they are weakening and might flood when the system is flushed (can do without flood damage ). The positive is that he will replace the failing stopcock as part of the job which will save me calling out a plumber.
    1st
    Spends:
    Coffee on train £2.50 (yes, I didn't take a flask. Naughty me. I did consider it but it was one thing too many and the journey was complicated by a rail strike so I was a bit under pressure to catch the available trains in order to get to work).
    MS stuff:
    Lots of bits and pieces of food to bring home (hence no room for flask).
    Harvested the apple tree and stored lots by placing them on racks with space around each. Will collect a few each visit.
    Brought a few apples home with me.
    Confession time:
    Coffee on train, see above.
    Had to leave fridge/freezer plugged in due to buying ice creams.
    2nd
    Spends:
    A real bargain at the car boot sale! Wait for it: a Pestige 4pt pan with copper base for £3! I was delighted! No space for it but it's a beauty.
    Plums £2 for about 6lbs.
    Donation for leaving gift £5.
    MS stuff:
    Resisted an identical pan that I could have had for £2 but which had a slight buckle to the base. Also resisted a huge Le Crueset marmite which I could never have afforded in the shops but for which I DO NOT have storage (I tell myself firmly).
    Made jam. Plenty of it.
    3rd
    NSD
    4th
    Spends:
    Gift £21

Is that it? I think I'm up to date. Sorry it's so long. Am off to revel in drawer space!
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 05-09-2017 at 1:24 PM. Reason: typos
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Sep 17, 11:59 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Spends today:
    Toiletries £5.00
    Housekeeping £7.60
    Alas my favourite coffees are running low and neither is on offer!
    MS stuff:
    Various yellow stickers from supermarket.
    Scone and coffee at my friend's house.

Should have been piano lesson but I forgot to go to the cash point so I'll drop the money round to her tomorrow. On the minimal amount of practice I'd done over the last couple of weeks, I thought I was actually going to do okay in my lesson and I did... until I got to the piece I'd been practising. At that point my skills took a dose dive! Never mind, I still have six days till my next lesson in which to become practised and proficient.

Other than that I am still revelling in days off (but I went into work to see about swapping a shift)!

Tomorrow I had better do some housework, but at least I have put clothes into the chest of drawers and now have no excuse for not clearing out the clutter in the bedroom.

Keep me on track people: tomorrow I need to take a bag to charity and decide whether or not I can face up to 3baying things again.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 06-09-2017 at 12:09 AM.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 6th Sep 17, 5:10 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 7,841 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    My pompoms are out, I'm cheering you along! Charity bag at the ready. Personally I have decided I would rather chew off my own arm than spend time ebaying things, unless they are (a) worth more than £20 and (b) are collection only - can't be bothered with packaging things up and the scope for refund demands etc. Much hard for buyers to complain if they have paid in cash on collection. Saying that, I have a brand new lego set and an old pram that I need to ebay at some stage soon....
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oh so many things to do! And it's gone lunchtime already.

Here's my list so far:
    Laundry Did three loads! Last one drying on the line overnight.
    ironing Done
    Make 3 payments from Exec account No
    Make holiday payment (we are treating ourselves to a week as an anniversary present) .Done
    Clean bathroom - quick clean done, stopped before I did everything as the lid had come off the bleach and the cupboard consequently needed a clear-out.
    hoover bedroom and landing No
    make jam No
    Take bag to charity shop (put stuff in it first) No
    Quick clean kitchen No
    Clean ceilings: bathroom / bedroom / DD's room No
    clean fridge No
    Hope the rain holds off. 6pm - so far so good .
    Ebay one item! The light was too poor to get decent photos so I'm passing that one on to tomorrow.
    Sort ebay payment Contacted seller.
    Consider if I'm going to bid for the trousers I saw (the running means my calves are getting too big for skinny jeans and my waist is getting too small! There are some problems it's really really nice to have!) Bid placed .
    Make keep/get rid decisions on 5 items of clothing. I managed 10! And 8 of these are to go!

I did head into town with a list and got most of it: it took probably a couple of hours so I got less done at home than I'd intended (and forgot the charity bag, though it now has something in it).

Spends:
    Gift £1
    Housekeeping £2.78 + 3.99 + 1.00 = £7.77
    Clothing £3
    Medical £1
    Household £2

Can you tell I went to the £1 shop?

MS stuff:
    £1 shop is very cheap for sticking plasters: I wonder if they stay stuck on?
    Bought a £1 version of cappuccino sachets - usual brand is £2.50 at the moment so I thought I'd try these and they're quite nice.
    Was given a free pattern when I bought some scarf-type things from the place that sells knitting wool. The scarf thingies apparently knit or crochet into collars as well. They are only a pound each but I don't know if I'll experiment: the instructions look as though they'd tax my skills!

It's been quite a tiring day considering I got up very late. I'm proud of getting so much laundry done, changing our bed as well, and getting rid of a few things. Those things left undone will carry forward to tomorrow (or the next day...)
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 06-09-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    One more day off - so an accompanying list.

DH is due a hospital procedure tomorrow and today is prep day. This happens at least once a year and is always a bit miserable and I keep meals to the background as he can't eat till later tomorrow. However DS1 has invited us round this evening: I'll go and Dh will go if he feels well enough.

I've had a week off from running as I was exhausted (not by running, which was going well, but I'm advised that professional runners take a week off every four weeks - think that's right? - and do other activity, so their bodies don't get damaged). I'm still tired and have had a couple of brief moments of anxiety, though there's nothing obvious to be anxious about unless you count DH's procedure, which I hadn't been thinking about. I used to live like this all the time when Mum was ill and I'm not going back there. Having a long 'to do' list on a day off doesn't seem like a good way to steer away from it either, but I'll post it so I can cheer myself for anything I do accomplish.

Go for a run - done
    Piano practice - done
    Laundry - H'm... dry day forecast - must have missed us... one load to dry somehow.- done
    Make 3 payments from Exec account - 1 done
    hoover bedroom and landing - no
    make jam - no
    Take bag to charity shop - done
    Quick clean kitchen - no
    Clean ceilings: bathroom / bedroom / DD's room - no
    clean fridge but maybe not today - no
    Ebay one item! - no
    Sort ebay payment - done

I ran a few errands: picked up a prescription, got a new ironing board cover, exciting stuff like that. We had fun over at DS's - food and a quiz - so I'm not sure how many calories I've eaten but I stuck to small portion sizes so hopefully it won't undo the work from earlier.

Spends:
    Toiletries £13.32
    Household £4.50
    Housekeeping £3.94
    MS stuff:
    Not much really
    Confession time:
    Bought my decaff coffee on full price rather than not have any or buy another brand.
    Gave in and got B!o oil as I've heard good things about it. It worked out a lot cheaper per ml to get the big one so I did - not sure if that's MS or foolish as I don't yet know if it will suit me.

I also got a call from work to swap my shift tomorrow so I'm out early. I'm not keen but it means I can keep an eye on DH in the evening, though DS was going to do this.

And on a good note my waist line has finally shrunk a bit so I'm no longer in the danger zone for heart attacks etc. Instead I'm merely in the somewhat dodgy zone. If anyone's interested, I highly recommend the British Heart Foundation's website which is really informative and useful. Actually, according to my fitness tracker, my heart health is 'excellent'. Family history suggests I'm much more likely to have a stroke. Anyway I'm doing something to change that. And on that cheerful note, goodnight!
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 07-09-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Updates
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Yesterday at work was absolutely exhausting. I spent most of the evening recovering and only spent once - £12.50 for the milk delivery.

DH's hospital procedure seems to have gone okay and he's recovering very well - much better than last time. He's now out and about getting weekend jobs done. This morning we decided it's time we replaced our crockery (actually we've been saying that for months). We went to the shops to see what there is in real life - we wanted to get the feel of pieces before committing to them, but we also want to buy a classic set that we can replace piece by piece if needed and that won't break too easily. As that means a lot of money (in my terms), we've bought three basic items to use for a while and see how we like them. When we asked DS2 what he thought of our choice, he said they reminded him of something you'd get in a nursing home, but it was up to us! Talk about dampening my spirits! I'm reminding myself that I've liked this brand as long as I can remember and we both like the feel of them in use - though at the same time as approving them, DH admitted he was wanting modern square plates like the ones our children have!

Seems you can't win 'em all. No, we simply haven't room to store a modern set as well as a classic one.

I was going to go for a run this afternoon but it's raining so perhaps it's time to crack on with the job list.

Make 2 payments from Exec account
    Do meter readings Done
    make scones
    Do CC payment
    hoover bedroom and landing
    make jam - Sadly I'm having to compost the remainder of the plums instead as they've gone over completely.
    Start a new bag for the charity shop
    Quick clean kitchen
    Clean ceilings: bathroom / bedroom / DD's room - Bathroon ceiling done by DH
    clean fridge
    Ebay one item! Done
    Make picnic for tomorrow Done

At the end of the day although I haven't done half the list, the weather cleared enough for me to run for half an hour, I got to the shops for picnic things for tomorrow when we are going to cheer on the Great North Run, particularly three family members who are running (not me. Hopefully next year), and DH and I watched Strictly, Last Night of the Proms and the end of the Edinburgh Tattoo. It really must be the end of summer!

Spends:
    Household £27.00
    Housekeeping £10.88
    MS stuff:
    A few yellow stickered items to go in the picnic
    Finally got an item onto 3bay! Hopefully will recoup some of what I spent on it.
    Confession time:
    Threw out lots of mouldy plums and two disintegrating bananas.
    Am going to have to replace my running shoes soonish, I think.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 09-09-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    • Angela84
    • By Angela84 10th Sep 17, 7:50 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    Angela84
    Just checking in to say hi! You've reminded me I'm supposed to be starting up at my running club again tomorrow, am half excited and half scared as haven't been for a few months!
    LBM January 2017 £9850 debts /// Sept 2017 £3585 paid £6265 to go (35%) DFD June 18

Natwest C/C £250 Rbs O/D £1250 NatWest O/D £1600 Barclaycard C/C £1810 Lloyds C/C £4750 £4455

Been in debt for 15yrs, trying to become debt free in 15 months
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Sep 17, 10:44 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Just checking in to say hi! You've reminded me I'm supposed to be starting up at my running club again tomorrow, am half excited and half scared as haven't been for a few months!
    Originally posted by Angela84
    Hi Angela! Did you go to running club? I struggle if I haven't run for a week, let alone a few months so I take my hat off to you for making plans like that. Hope it goes well .
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Sep 17, 11:32 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Two NSDs, at least no spending by me. We had a good day at the GNR and went out for a meal in the evening which was also very good (and on an offer ). Then I was at work overnight (sleep in) and this morning.

Work is very tiring at the moment and that's not going to let up in the near future though it's gone from crazy a few days ago to very quiet today - and we have some new staff members at last! It will be a while till they're fully up and running but I think the ones I've met so far are going to be good. However, between that, trying to sort Mum's house (the boiler man still hasn't been in touch though I've texted him) and trying to make my home okay, I really feel I'm not getting enough rest and my nerves feel rather frayed.

Another day off tomorrow and that means another day playing catch-up with things around the house! However, I'm on top of the ironing and putting away, I've deep-cleaned the guinea pig hutch this afternoon and I've managed piano practice a few times this week - so all is not lost.

Here is my jobs list as far as it goes:

Do CC payment
    hoover bedroom and landing
    Start a new bag for the charity shop
    Clean kitchen floor
    Clean ceilings: bedroom / DD's room
    clean fridge
    Ebay a second item
    Trim hedge by the door
    Clean fish tank

If I can feel I've made some progress tomorrow, I may treat myself to a shopping trip ton Wednesday to replace my running shoes. The extra hours at work will mean more money at the end of this month which is nice but as we're going away for a few days then, we will have extra costs. However, running has been so good for me, and it's so important to avoid injury, that the trainers are a priority. I've also noticed some of my tee shirts are getting tatty and baggy, so I might see what's new in the shops.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Sep 17, 5:03 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 7,841 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Sounds like you have lots of domestic stuff to keep you busy today! Try to treat yourself to a cup of tea and five minutes of quiet too - I know the feeling of working too hard and getting frazzled, it's almost harder to stop because you worry you'll never get going again!
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A bit of money-saving today: decided to order my running shoes on line, thus avoiding train fare, temptation and inclement weather. Also had a successful bid for some gorgeous summer trousers on 3bay, bought socks for the menfolk and a few groceries.

Spends:
    Trainers £32.99
    Socks £11.00 (but I'm going to try to return DS's as he has loads that I didn't know about! So maybe £5 here).
    Housekeeping: £1.83
    Piano £20.00 (two weeks).

I've made a bit of progress on the list after a sleepy morning.
    Do CC payment
    hoover bedroom and landing - done
    Start a new bag for the charity shop - made a start
    Clean kitchen floor
    clean fridge
    Ebay a second item
    Trim hedge by the door - made a start
    Clean fish tank

Poor goldfish will have to wait for their nice clean tank. I have, however, done all the washing and some of the ironing and somehow given myself a headache.

Batten down the hatches now everyone: it's supposed to be windy tonight. I was reading about Hurricane Irma last night and that's truly horrific, but we need to take reasonable care too.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 12th Sep 17, 8:29 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I'm finally catching up with diaries. You are such a busy bee cherryfudge. I don't know how you do it.

I didn't realise we were due winds tonight. I really need to get rid of the big tree. I hope it's calm by you.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Not much spending today:

Housekeeping £2.91

That's it. Not a lot of progress on The List though all yesterday's laundry is now put away and another lot is draped around the place to dry.

Someone's cat turned up on our doorstep in the storm last night, and ate a whole tin of tuna. Needless to say I'm its new best friend. I think the owners are away and the person left in charge isn't answering my texts. Some of the spending was therefore on cat food! Unfortunately, being a cat lover who can't have cats due to a couple of people in the house having allergies, I let it in. DS (who is adult and therefore theoretically old enough to know better especially as he's had some medical training), then took what he referred to as 'about three' antihistamines. He then grumped at me over something and took himself to bed. A little while later it occurred to me what he'd said and my parent/work head had me on Google looking up overdose symptoms. Irritability and drowsiness. Ah. Yes.

Well, it looks as though he's not done himself any great harm though he may feel unwell tomorrow. In between listening at his door to make sure he's breathing, I'd better let him sleep it off. There's no specific antidote to this particular drug (cetirizine) and it looks as though my packet of them has gone done by two to four, which is well over the recommended dose of one in 24 hours but under the levels talked about on the internet (5 and over).

I know I shouldn't now wear myself out trying to make something else right (cleaning or tidying) so I'll head for bed.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 13-09-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    • Angela84
    • By Angela84 13th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    Angela84
    Hope ds will be ok tomorrow! All because of the storm!
    LBM January 2017 £9850 debts /// Sept 2017 £3585 paid £6265 to go (35%) DFD June 18

Natwest C/C £250 Rbs O/D £1250 NatWest O/D £1600 Barclaycard C/C £1810 Lloyds C/C £4750 £4455

Been in debt for 15yrs, trying to become debt free in 15 months
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hope ds will be ok tomorrow! All because of the storm!
    Originally posted by Angela84
    Exactly! Well, there are signs of movement so he must have slept it off. Why oh why do people believe 'the rules' don't apply to them?

I am struggling with a rather low mood at the moment - have caught up on sleep quite a bit but that hasn't fixed it. I think what's beneath it is a remark DD made which has upset me although she was trying not to do so. It's to do with all those things we aren't successful at - tidiness, housework, that sort of thing. She offers to help but those bits of the clutter that are mine are things I want to work through myself - and I can only do so much at once. So at the moment I feel pressure wherever I am. Home, where I need to get on with jobs, Mum's house which is still a mountain to climb and of course has lots of emotional issues attached and work, where they have just asked me yet again to start early because the rota doesn't cover the needs. I could do with a break on even just one of those fronts, but I think I'll only get it if I make it happen.

I ought to add here that we've gone from being carers for one person to another. Not full time but the responsibility and the time taken are factors, as are changes in DH's job which mean he has a much longer commute. Moving nearer his work wouldn't solve this due to caring responsibilities.

Anyway, that's how it is right now. I'm personally not nearly as stressed as I used to be but progress seems slow. I think I'm going to make a list and get essential shopping, which will include meals for when I'm working over the next few days.

Here's that list again, brought up to date:

Get things ready for work done
    Do shopping list part done - not enough time to get to the shops before work
    Mend DH's cardigan
    Start assembling summer clothes to go in the loft part done - and put in loft!
    Make butter from the yellow-stickered cream I bought yesterday done
    Make 2 payments from Exec account done
    Do CC payment part done
    Clean kitchen floor
    clean fridge
    Ebay a second item
    Finish trimming hedge by the door
    Clean fish tank
    Buy birthday present / card
    Buy anniversary card
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 14-09-2017 at 1:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Yesterday (14th) - NSD. Today I could do with getting to the shops, then I'm back into work from 2 onwards. Yesterday was a really positive shift, which is a tribute to my colleagues as things are tough at present.

I really ought to be doing that kitchen floor and fish tank which have been on my list for embarrassingly long, but DS is using the kitchen which I need for both tasks.

MS stuff:
    I am so pleased with myself! You know how the price of butter is making the news? My favourite is now £1.70 a pack. Well, Mr T was discounting cream the other day and I got 600ml for 56p. Add that to a large bowl and whisk for 20 minutes or so with a spot of salt and I have 320g of beautiful butter, plus a tub of buttermilk which has gone in the freezer. This has done the diet absolutely no good, though, as I combined it with warming up some stale scones and starting a pot of strawberry & champagne jam.

Talking of dietary things, I need to eat more quality food not just finish up junk that's been left around the breadbin and fridge! That said, I'm not going to waste those slices of pizza that want eating...
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I used to do that with the cream, but then the co-op started doing nonsense reductions so it stopped being worth it for me. I used to freeze it in 2oz pats, wrapped in greaseproof paper which worked well.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th Sep 17, 11:57 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Another busy day!

I was supposed to go shopping and did actually manage a handful of groceries and a greetings card before I got to work. I've just treated myself to a book, too.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £2.50
    Card £2.50
    Book £ £6.47
    Toiletries £6.00
    MS stuff:
    Not enough time to do 'proper' shopping (so I have no bread).
    Refund of £6.00 for the socks I bought the other day.

Some trousers I bought on 3bay have arrived and they are just as pretty as they looked on line. Sadly, however, there is a seam split. It looks to be completely mendable but I feel bad I won't be able to leave good feedback. I might just contact the seller privately and say I won't leave the feedback - I believe it's quite likely to be a genuine mistake as who would risk their 100% reputation for something like that?
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 17-09-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,523Posts Today

7,661Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin