New Sky Deal on MSE - Not available

Having recently been allowed to leave BT, I was all set for signing up to EE on Topcashback's daily deals with £150 cashback meaning the deal would set me back about £200 over 18 months after cashback paid. However I then saw the Sky deal.

This deal is much better as the total cost over 12 months would be about £70 after receiving half price line rental and free broadband, plus £50 credit.

When signing up, I did the line check and postcode and was then told that the service was unavailable in my area, but their recommended deal was fibre at £10 a month plus full price line rental.

I find this strange as I have had Sky broadband in the past, and as this was over a year ago, it does state that it's only available to new customers and previous customers who left over a year ago, so being a past customer is not an issue.

Also, I live in Plymouth, and connected to one of the main exchanges, so if Sky are unable to provide broadband, I find this very strange. Also how come they can provide fibre and not the regular broadband?

This leads me to think that the deal advertised on MSE with only 35000 codes available to receive the offer is a ploy from Sky to get people to actually sign up for a more expensive package rather than a bargain deal. This is especially true when I've been a previous customer using exactly the same broadband.

Has anyone else who lives in an area which doesn't have trouble with broadband been rejected for the Sky offer?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's possible that Sky are just oversubscribed in your area for ADSL (I know it works this way for fibre).
  • Shiggaddi
    Shiggaddi Posts: 938 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    I did phone them up saying what had happened and tried signing up over the phone, and they did explain that they have a set number of ports in the exchange and new customers can only be connected once ports become available if customers leave or they area allocated more ports. With the fibre they do have enough ports for that hence why I was offered fibre.

They also did a check on my line and the same result happened, and it was then that I explained about the great deal that I was offered.

I've now signed up with EE through the special offer I received from Topcashback with enhanced rates for 1 day only.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I wanted to join Tesco's broadband /phone a few years back and was told that due to exchange restrictions , they could only offer one service, but to keep checking. Just after I took up another deal both services became available, but quickly both became unavailable, so it may be worth rechecking.

Another point, OP : are you a Sky tv customer, because they appear to change policy, sometimes assuming someone with tv is not new, but other times saying it's ok as tv and the other services are separate. (A survey I did a few weeks ago, suggests that, in future, there may be just one contract.)
  • BSM911
    BSM911 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Has anyone successfully been able to order this?

Every time I try I get an error and get told to call Sky. However Sky tell me as this is an online only offer through MSE there is nothing they can do...

They also said that other people have called citing the same problem and the rep I was talking to said that this deal might not have gone live yet even thought it looks like it.

I'm hoping it isn't just me having this problem!
  • alinwales
    alinwales Posts: 327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've been able to sign up to Sky. Talktalk contract was coming up for renewal, lady on online chat said there'd be no termination fee, so off we go!

Talktalk retention offer: £20/mth for 12 months (instead of 24 months). Bravo talktalk!
  • jerrysimon
    jerrysimon Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 5 March 2017 at 10:33AM
    I am coming to the end of my Sky BB and TV package. I pay £47.99 for unlimited Fibre and Boxsets (HD) whatever they call it now.

I have 1/2 price TV and 1/2 price fibre.

My new premium in June will be £76.99 when my discounts come to an end. That's an increase of £29/m !

They also gave me a £50 credit and a new Skybox last year for free.

Its going to be hard to renegociate that with SKY again I suspect. But I have a few months to try. It took cancelling my SKY account last year before they would give me the deal :)

Jerry
  • snowys
    snowys Posts: 4 Newbie
    I have tried and tried to get this offer despite having the code, I think it's just to get your details and email address, I don't think anybody will ever get this offer
  • My experience also. See full story on other Sky thread.
    Agree with Snowys. They think they can get your data to keep mailing you.
    But so angry about spending time on this today.
    Friends at MSE please take note.
  • itsj2
    itsj2 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anyone been successful in getting a code emailed to them yet?

I'm still waiting after 24 hours!
  • I signed up for this today but didn't get the promised e-mail with the code and I can't re-sign 'cos it's only one code per household. Phoned Sky and they said they can't help as it's an MSE offer. What's going on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure