Can't afford to stay in a relationship

Comments

• just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    It's not benefit fraud, we are talking about ending our relationship because we can't afford to be in it. I have four children and we will do anything to stop them being on the street, so long as it falls within the law.

No you said living separately. So as said you could be committing benefit fraud so the government helps you out more. You have a wage of £2100, pip, child benefit and tax credits for 4 children. Would the benefit cap apply to you, if so you could be worse off. You've got a 2 week old baby with this person, shouldn't he/she come first instead of thinking how to get more.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,580
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    It seems crazy that you're paying £35 per week to get the kids to school.

Is there no school transport?
    Can the taxi firm knock down the cost as you're going to be doing this regularly?

Appreciate you need a wheelchair property, but would moving nearer to school be possible? Somewhere with better transport might benefit you too.

Also have you posted on MSE under another name as your post today really rang a bell?
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Think she said 4.

*snap* :D
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Income support (with the loan parent premium) is c.£90 pw.
    Maximum Child Tax credits are £53 pw for each child (plus the £10pw family element)
    Housing Benefit would be limited to your local LHA (so for a decent property may not cover the rent).

As kingfisherblue says, it's not a great deal of money.
    Plus HMRC may decide you and you partner are still a couple.
    Just living on benefits is unlikely to be good for you, or your children long-term.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    NYM wrote: »
    *snap* :D

Ha,ha. Was reading back after last reply and laughed, we both must have replied at same time..snap.
  • Ha,ha. Was reading back after last reply and laughed, we both must have replied at same time..snap.

Apologies, I only read her reply to me, missed the answer on another post.

Based on 4 kids I can't understand why she isn't receiving CTC on a household income of £25,200. Even with an overpayment they wouldn't be on 100% recovery. It should be around £168 per week plus £62 per week child benefit so nearly £1000 per month plus PIP and his salary.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Think of the damage you'll cause your kids splitting up with their dad so you can play the benefits system.

You shouldn't be in huge debts as this benefits issue seems fairly recent so you and your partner have been living out with your means for a while and now you're going to make your kids suffer in an attempt to not face up to your responsibilities.

The best thing you can do is a statement of affairs. Then diary every penny you spend for a month. Then phone a debt management company, preferably one like stepchange who are a charity and won't charge fees. They will help by giving you solutions to your debt. I'm not going to say those solutions will be easy but it will be a hell of a lot easier on your kids mental health.
  • Got to be honest, I am starting to doubt the OP. Her reluctance to post her income and expenditure and contact a debt organisation leaves me thinking she just wants to our approval to commit benefit fraud (and yes, this is what it would be) instead of looking for a sensible solution.

It's a shame that money comes before the needs of her children.
  • Apologies, I only read her reply to me, missed the answer on another post.

Based on 4 kids I can't understand why she isn't receiving CTC on a household income of £25,200. Even with an overpayment they wouldn't be on 100% recovery. It should be around £168 per week plus £62 per week child benefit so nearly £1000 per month plus PIP and his salary.

You don't need to apologise, you know what she should be entitled to roughly. You're a great help. 😀. It's just confirmed she has a good income !!.
  • ....Troll?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport