Mortgage with Abbey National (as was) PPI?

We had a mortgage with Abbey National which started in 2001 and was 'paid off' in 2004 when we sold the house and bought this property with a mortgage from another provider (Barclays).

It's only now that DH insists that we had PPI on the 'old' mortgage.

I've managed to find the original mortgage account number, the exact dates we had it and even the final year's mortgage breakdown summary - but the latter is quite basic and only shows the actual payments we made.

Is it actually worth pursuing it to just see where we stand?

We have always banked with Abbey / Santander, so they should have our details easily to hand.

We're novices at this BTW. :)
"I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."

Comments

• magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You have no evidence that a policy ever existed.

Or, if you did have it, who sold it to you.

Or, that it was missold.

Your case does not seem at all persuasive at present.
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The PPI policy would have been separate to the mortgage. Your payments would have been monthly instalment + MPPI premium.
  • mkbje
    mkbje Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi
    My other half had ppi on our Abbey mortgage which we held for 5years we were sold this by an advisor in our local branch when applying for our mortgage, my husband had a previous medical condition before we started this policy but the advisor did not explain that this would be excluded if he needed to claim. I think that he did claim on the policy for approx 6 months due to a back injury I am just wondering if it would be worth putting a claim into Santander for mis selling even though he has claimed on policy, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is it actually worth pursuing it to just see where we stand?

What do mean finding out where you stand?
    We have always banked with Abbey / Santander, so they should have our details easily to hand.

Not necessarily. Unlike other forms of PPI, MPPI is usually a standalone product paid apart from the debt. That is one of the reasons there are so few complaints about MPPI as it is typically set up correctly (had loan PPI been set up that way then there wouldnt be this issue now)
    My other half had ppi on our Abbey mortgage which we held for 5years we were sold this by an advisor in our local branch when applying for our mortgage, my husband had a previous medical condition before we started this policy but the advisor did not explain that this would be excluded if he needed to claim. I think that he did claim on the policy for approx 6 months due to a back injury I am just wondering if it would be worth putting a claim into Santander for mis selling even though he has claimed on policy, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Please do not hijack someone elses thread. That is considered rude as your question could take over the thread and leave the original poster without answers. You have posted your question against elsewhere and I have added a response to that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure