Refusing to accept a cheque

Options
Went into Nationwide yesterday with a Nationwide cheque to pay my TSB credit card. Was told they would not accept a cheque, so ended up crossing out the payee and paying it into a Barclays account, to then pay my credit card with a Barclays cheue!

Was told by the Nationwide Branch Manager, the reason they couldn't accept a cheque was that they were a building society and not a bank? The Manager in Barclays was as confused as me. Can anyone explain how a building society differs from a bank in this instance please?
Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Went into Nationwide yesterday with a Nationwide cheque to pay my TSB credit card. Was told they would not accept a cheque, so ended up crossing out the payee and paying it into a Barclays account, to then pay my credit card with a Barclays cheue!

Was told by the Nationwide Branch Manager, the reason they couldn't accept a cheque was that they were a building society and not a bank? The Manager in Barclays was as confused as me. Can anyone explain how a building society differs from a bank in this instance please?

Don't know for certain. Probably because (not being a bank) Nationwide don't do Bank Giro Credits. But then it seems that, "not all banks provide bill paying services" anyway. So it might well simply be that the Nationwide doesn't either.

https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/information-hub/faqs/credit-clearing-and-bank-giro-credits

I'd have thought that the best thing would be to register for internet banking with the Nationwide. Then you don't have to faff about going into branches with bits of paper. Just do a faster payment. Or set up a DD for your TSB credit card. Then you don't have to do anything.:)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    according to this they do accept cheques unless a foreign one.
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/payments-and-transfers/cash-cards-and-cheques/cheques
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It was probably an (un?)official policy decision.

Make life easier for yourself, set up a Direct Debit or failing that pay via internet banking.
    : )
  • keef-WhatStandards
    Options
    Thanks for the link.

I do have Internet banking set up, but sometimes I like to do things the old fashioned way: the High Street is only at the end of my road. ;)

I've set up a DD now, but couldn't see how to do this on my Internet banking. At least you can message Nationwide and they are quite responsive.
  • keef-WhatStandards
    Options
    Same response from Nationwide online, so I assume it *is* official. ;)

DD setup now. Internet banking is all very well, but you still can't pay cheques in online. :)
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The branch staff could have set up an electronic payment and paid the bill for you.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/payments-and-transfers/one-off-payment/single-payment#xtab:online-payment

Once the payment has been set up you can pay it online, or using the app, or through Nationwide's own ATMs. This last facility is very useful for people who want the convenience of electronic banking but who don't want to do it online.
  • keef-WhatStandards
    keef-WhatStandards Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 July 2017 at 10:56PM
    Options
    Yes, but I had already written the cheque, well two actually; the other to pay my Halifax credit card, out. Just annoyed that they wouldn't accept a Nationwide cheque in a Nationwide branch.
  • MrsWenger
    MrsWenger Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Somewhat off topic but we recently had a situation where Nationwide branch staff gave us a lecture about paying cash in over the counter. The assistant told us she "would do it on a goodwill basis on this occasion" but in future we needed to do it via the ATM. Apparently, this is because we have a Flexdirect account "that we get 5% on" which is not correct as it is past the first year of interest at that rate. We will just pay it in elsewhere in future. If I worked in a bank or building society branch I think I would want as many people to use the branch as possible given the wide scale branch closures over the last few years...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The cheque payment isn't the main issue but bill payment (Bank Giro Credit) - they withdrew that facility some time ago (they paid a bank to process them on their behalf)

They probably don't want the admin related to 3rd party cheques bouncing either.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    The cheque payment isn't the main issue but bill payment (Bank Giro Credit) - they withdrew that facility some time ago (they paid a bank to process them on their behalf)

They probably don't want the admin related to 3rd party cheques bouncing either.
    Exactly the issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport