Keysafe - insurance wording?

Be_Happy
Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 19 June 2017 at 12:53PM in Insurance & life assurance
My husband is being set up on our council Community Alarm Service where he can contact a designated keyholder or the emergency services if necessary while he is alone in the house.

I have been advised to have a keysafe fitted so that emergency services can get quick access if called. I have heard that this may invalidate some insurance policies, so I contacted our Insurance Company to clarify. (The keysafe code will be held by the Community Alarm Service.)

Im trying to get my head round the answer received, noted below - does it mean that if a burglar tries to work out the key code and strikes lucky (does not break into the keysafe), the house insurance would not pay out?

"In reference to Key safes are boxes on the wall outside a property, containing a set of house keys Only authorised people can access, either by a lock or number pad, so that they can get into the house in emergency situations. We’ll accept these as long as the box is accessed by authorised people only.
As long as it is only authorised people accessing them then we can accept this and your policy will not be affected."

It's the wording about the box being accessed by authorised people only that confuses me.

EDIT: I've had another e-mail from a different person in Insurance Company. Not sure if it's any clearer: -

"I can confirm that a key wall safe is covered under this policy as long as only authorised people know the code and have access to this."

Comments

• FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It basically says that if someone else (who you didn't give the code to) finds out the code, steals your key, and gains entry, you aren't covered for that incident.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    FutureGirl wrote: »
    It basically says that if someone else (who you didn't give the code to) finds out the code, steals your key, and gains entry, you aren't covered for that incident.

I disagree.

It is very badly worded but I believe their intention is that you are covered providing only people who you authorise have access to the key safe eg are given the key code.

If the code is passed onto people that you have not authorised then there is no cover.

However as you can see future girl and I interpret their wording in different ways so you need to get them to clarify the situation.

As well as clarification of their intention, ask them to define what they mean by an "Authorised Person"
  • Be_Happy
    Thanks. I agree wording is confusing. I will have to contact them and specify what happens if burglar tries various numbers on keypad and hits on code by chance.
  • FutureGirl
    dacouch wrote: »
    I disagree.

It is very badly worded but I believe their intention is that you are covered providing only people who you authorise have access to the key safe eg are given the key code.

If the code is passed onto people that you have not authorised then there is no cover.

That is what I have said though?
  • Be_Happy
    FutureGirl wrote: »
    That is what I have said though?

Difference is in having been 'told' the code and 'stealing' the code.
  • FutureGirl
    Nope. I've definitely said the same thing.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The 2 posts do seem to be saying the same thing to me also.

ie give your carers the code its OK. Your covered.

If your carer gives the number out to a 3rd party or a 3rd party guesses or just randomly keeps trying until it unlocks then your not covered.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure