mechanic takes my car for a joy ride with his mates

Options
Put my range rover into a local land rover dealership for service and a few other minor issues on tuesday this week and if ready, to pick up thursday. Gave authorisation for the car to be taken on test drive to help the technician diagnose any issues. When i collected the car, i had a look over it and found everything that was on the back seat was in the boot. I thought it was odd a i couldnt think why this would have been done as there is nothing in the back seat area that would hinder any service or anything as there is nothing there to do with the car's performance.
Driving to work the following morning, my dash cam's memory became full which again i thought was odd as i formatted the disc before i took the car in. Curious, i viewed the dash cam and the mechanic, had taken my car home, picked up his girlfriend, picked up his mates and had an evening out with my car, getting involved with a possible fight in Brixton and caused a fight outside a hospital, both incidents all in front of the car and on camera. What was risky is that both fights could have ended up on the car causing damage. He parked up at 1230 at night in a back street in Brixton with some £4000 worth of tools inside the car. I left the tools in the car as i was assured when asked that the car is locked securely under 24 hour surveillance.
I have contacted the garage who have already sacked the tech, and have been very apologetic. The senior director has called me to say that it will be investigated and they await my dash cam footage. They have also offered to refund me in full, nearly £3000 that i have paid so far for the work done on the car.
I'm not greedy so i am fairly satisfied with the outcome but what about the tech who took my car and abused my car and trust. He used all back streets as short cuts and every street was full of speed humps and all were driven over at speed. Should i report him to the police. Should i do anything else or claim for anything else?
what would you do?

Comments

• arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They apologised, sacked the employee and giving you £3k refund... and you want more? You for real?
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    I would report to the police, its nearly a different matter to the garage.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have contacted the garage who have already sacked the tech, and have been very apologetic. The senior director has called me to say that it will be investigated and they await my dash cam footage. They have also offered to refund me in full, nearly £3000 that i have paid so far for the work done on the car.
    I'm not greedy so i am fairly satisfied with the outcome but what about the tech who took my car and abused my car and trust. He used all back streets as short cuts and every street was full of speed humps and all were driven over at speed. Should i report him to the police. Should i do anything else or claim for anything else?
    what would you do?
    So they have sacked their employee BEFORE investigating the matter, sounds a bit odd to me.

At then end of the day they've apologised, given you a refund and nothing has happened to your car. What more do you want?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seems like a good result, £3k of work for free, I wouldn't bother with the police but I would think outside the box a little- most would never use the garage again but I would have said to the director that I want a discount/ free MOT etc next time I bring it to you and you will treat my car like it's the Queen's. You'll get the best service ever from them now on.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

take it to the top.

If they have a land Rover dealership, then contact Land Rover, you might get a discount voucher for your next purchase.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would actually continue to use this dealer, it is unlikely to happen again and they have acted responsibly by resolving the issue with no hassle.
    From this incident you could actually build up a constructive and beneficial relationship.
    What I would do for peace of mind is check that the tech has not been re employed next time you use them.
    I think if you want more you are being mercenary.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    They're sorry........

They're sorry they got caught.

It shouldn't be possible for this to happen, therefore they must allow this sort of thing.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely a mechanic wouldn't be stupid enough to leave the dash cam on?
    Je suis sabot...
  • pelo_2
    pelo_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    If this is right then I'd definitely tell the police just as an information thing. It'd get the details on record with them just in case any speeding fines etc come through.
    Obviously keep the footage and all conversations with the garage so there is 100 percent no chance anything the mechanic did could be attributed to OP.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely a mechanic wouldn't be stupid enough to leave the dash cam on?

I'd agree with this, and it makes me doubt the entire story.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure