Harveys suite won't fit

I ordered a 2 seater, armchair and footstool from Harveys which they have tried to deliver today but it won't fit through the doors. I know the t&c's state it is my responsibility to ensure it can fit but that is what I did.

I originally went to the showroom with the door width measurements but the sales person wasn't interested in these and simply told me the sofa and chair came apart. There was no mention that this wasn't an easy process and that an upholsterer be required.

The delivery men have taken the items away and I now await a phone call to arrange for an upholsterer. This is something I am not prepared to pay for and don't think I should have to as I was misled in the showroom. Am I within my rights to cancel the order and expect a full refund?

Comments

• ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Take it apart yourself, carefully detach stapled cloth from beneath then using a spanner dismantle, had to do this myself.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • Just to update. Harveys are arranging for it to go to my local store who will remove the backs and arrange for delivery and reassemble.

Thanks for the suggestion of doing the dismantling myself. Even though Harveys are going to do it, it's good to know it's easy just in case I move house at some point. I guess there will be YouTube videos on how to do it.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    What a crock . Never heard of a sofa not going through a door. Find it hard to believe manufacturer did not think of that and design for that issue.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We had two armchairs which wouldn't go through the doors. You just have to dismantle them. (They weren't from Harveys.)
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    missile wrote: »
    What a crock . Never heard of a sofa not going through a door. Find it hard to believe manufacturer did not think of that and design for that issue.

It's actually very common, just have a little search of this forum or Google (other search engines are available) and you will find a lot of similar complaints.

We took the window out to get our sofa in, it was easier than dismantling the sofa.
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    missile wrote: »

Worked in DFS as an Administrator. It's actually extremely common. So common in fact that you can request a site visit and one of the delivery team will come out and check to make sure that it will go in.
  • TheGoldfish
    TheGoldfish Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The sofa and chair are recliners and are quite big but the sales person was adamant it wouldn't be a problem. Had a phone call from Harveys at lunchtime today saying they can take the backs off but it still leaves parts at each end sticking up. They are going to try delivery next Wednesday but I'm not too hopeful.

Starting to think they are only suitable for property where there is a wide enough side access to wide patio doors at the rear. I live on an estate where it is mostly terraced housing and I would guess at least 80% of the properties are like mine. If furniture isn't designed to be easily dismantled to fit through a standard door then their potential market is limited.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    You can remove the back from most recliner chairs - often with just a simple clip mechanism.

The whole point of this is to make it easier to fit through doorways.

I am more than a little surprised that the delivery guys didn't know this.

Three videos here. More on youtube.
  • TheGoldfish
    TheGoldfish Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yep, I've seen the videos and I agree with you. It looks very easy but it is not something I should have to do to receive the items. This is down to Harveys

The delivery guys simple tried to get the heavily wrapped and protected furniture through the door. They said it didn't come apart and because of this they didn't unwrap it. They were very quick to blame the sales person for giving wrong information, and in return the store have blamed the delivery men for not knowing that it does come apart.

Here is the address to the model I've ordered which shows the potential problem after the backs have been removed

harveysfurniture.co.uk/search/?q=finchley%20incliner/

Sorry I'm not yet allowed to include full links
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    It's actually very common, just have a little search of this forum or Google (other search engines are available) and you will find a lot of similar complaints.

We took the window out to get our sofa in, it was easier than dismantling the sofa.

+1

On a previous house we'd to take the front window out too.

Its actually probably the easiest method. Certainly very quick
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport