JSA - Can they sanction me?

I was offered an interview tomorrow which I have turned down for the following reasons:

1) They didn't inform me of the interview until 7:30pm tonight
2) I am currently not driving due to a recent car accident and the interview is in Manchester and I physically can not organise travel at a reasonable cost at such short notice
3) They wanted me to attend on two seperate days for two short interviews (One was an interview, one was a teaching task, both 30 mins to 1 hour)
4) I can't physically afford two train fares to Manchester when I haven't even had my first JSA payment.

My main worry is that by turning this down the job centre will sanction me for it. It was through one of their leads from the website which I wrote down that I was applying to.

Comments

• MissSarah1972
    MissSarah1972 Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    How would the JC know?
  • I suppose because its in my job seekers journal that i applied and if they phoned which they said they were going to to check i was applyingthey'd hear that i didnt attend
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I was offered an interview tomorrow which I have turned down for the following reasons:

1) They didn't inform me of the interview until 7:30pm tonight
    2) I am currently not driving due to a recent car accident and the interview is in Manchester and I physically can not organise travel at a reasonable cost at such short notice
    3) They wanted me to attend on two seperate days for two short interviews (One was an interview, one was a teaching task, both 30 mins to 1 hour)
    4) I can't physically afford two train fares to Manchester when I haven't even had my first JSA payment.

My main worry is that by turning this down the job centre will sanction me for it. It was through one of their leads from the website which I wrote down that I was applying to.
    7:30pm is a bit late to ask for an interview the next morning. Did you ask if it could be on Friday instead?

Also, how far is the job away? If it's more than 90 minutes by public transport (about 30 miles) you can turn down the job for excessive travel time. How much does the travel cost? You can also turn down minimum wage work if it leaves you worse off than staying on JSA. You may need to ask for a better off calculation if they do find out and try and sanction you. If you don't mention it it should be fine.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • MissSarah1972
    I suppose because its in my job seekers journal that i applied and if they phoned which they said they were going to to check i was applyingthey'd hear that i didnt attend
    The JC are going to phone all the jobs you have applied for?

Was the job given to you to apply for by the JC?
  • HappyMJ wrote: »
    7:30pm is a bit late to ask for an interview the next morning. Did you ask if it could be on Friday instead?

Also, how far is the job away? If it's more than 90 minutes by public transport (about 30 miles) you can turn down the job for excessive travel time. How much does the travel cost? You can also turn down minimum wage work if it leaves you worse off than staying on JSA. You may need to ask for a better off calculation if they do find out and try and sanction you. If you don't mention it it should be fine.

It is one horu away drive. I'm looking to relocate as the area I live in doesn't have any jobs in my field. Travel would cost me approx £20 in fuel if I were driving, not sure on train but Im sure its in excess of that. Due to the car accidnet recently I am not confident driving 70 miles on a motorway just yet.

I emailed back and tried to phone. They wanted me in Thurs and Fri. I'm supposed to have a meeting with my advisor on Friday.
  • The JC are going to phone all the jobs you have applied for?

Was the job given to you to apply for by the JC?

It is one they suggested when I said I was looking to relocate
  • MissSarah1972
    It is one they suggested when I said I was looking to relocate
    then I guess they will ask the employer about your application
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It is one horu away drive. I'm looking to relocate as the area I live in doesn't have any jobs in my field. Travel would cost me approx £20 in fuel if I were driving, not sure on train but Im sure its in excess of that. Due to the car accidnet recently I am not confident driving 70 miles on a motorway just yet.
    You will need to look it up. Use the traveline website. http://traveline.info/

Next time you claim do not mention to jobcentre that you want to relocate as they will offer you work anywhere in the UK. And...do not mention that you have a car. When they ask the question do you have your own transport say no.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • then I guess they will ask the employer about your application

Should I tell my advisor Friday? OR just keep stum?
  • HappyMJ wrote: »
    You will need to look it up. Use the traveline website. http://traveline.info/

Next time you claim do not mention to jobcentre that you want to relocate as they will offer you work anywhere in the UK. And...do not mention that you have a car. When they ask the question do you have your own transport say no.

I have to relocate as there are no jobs in my area. I said specifically i was looking to relocate to Leicester. I have told them I do not currently own a car as I currently am not willing/able to drive long distances without someone else with me. I had a car accident 1 month ago and I am still very shaken from this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure