Online Banking Spending Catergories & Reports

Options
After many years with a One Account we are switching to a fixed rate deal so we will need a new Current Account.

As we live rurally Online Banking is important to us and one of the things we make good use of with our current website is being able to set up our own spending catergories and allocate every transaction to one of them.

i.e. Everything from Tesco /Aldi / Approved Food etc. goes under "Groceries". We have about 15 of them including one for "Christmas" and another for "Gifts" , "Clothing" etc. You get the idea.

Then at the end of each month we can run a report that shows us a pie chart and tells us the total of each category ( Groceries is normally the largest ! )

The new mortgage is being processed as we speak and I've been looking at the best Current Accounts here on MSE. First Direct looks good but I can't see that we would have this facility with their Online Banking which would be a deal breaker for us.

Does anyone know which other Accounts would have the same online category & reporting features as our One Account?

Thanks

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't give you a direct answer to your question as I don't use online banking in that way, but you can do the same with any (and all) account offline by using MS Money (other software probably has similar capabilities).
  • cosmicDolphin
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I can't give you a direct answer to your question as I don't use online banking in that way, but you can do the same with any (and all) account offline by using MS Money (other software probably has similar capabilities).

Thanks but wanted to keep it all self contained as sometimes I do it from my own PC or Laptop and sometimes my wife will do it...so it's easier if it's just online and we can both do it from our own devices.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    B offers categorisation but is phone /tablet app based (Apple & Android) so you'd need to use the standard Clydesdale/Yorkshire website on your computer.

Not sure if it be comparable to the One Account as i never used the categorisation function on it.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    After many years with a One Account we are switching to a fixed rate deal so we will need a new Current Account.
    If you're happy with how you currently do things, there's nothing stopping you from continuing to use your One account as a standard current account even after you no longer use it for mortgage offset purposes, although you won't get an overdraft if that's important to you.
  • cosmicDolphin
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    If you're happy with how you currently do things, there's nothing stopping you from continuing to use your One account as a standard current account even after you no longer use it for mortgage offset purposes, although you won't get an overdraft if that's important to you.

Yes would like an overdraft facility and also the One Account doesn't allow for any Bank Transfers online, only by phone after going through various hoops and remembering passwords which is a pain, they don't have any contactless cards..I don't think they have updated anything for about 10yrs so have really fallen behind.

Would like to have all the modern functionality of a 2017 Current Account now we are not tied to them any longer.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    the One Account doesn't allow for any Bank Transfers online, only by phone after going through various hoops and remembering passwords which is a pain
    Although they introduced an irritatingly low £1K transaction limit last year, you can use their online banking for transfers (I've done one earlier this afternoon), unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do?

Anyway, I'm not trying to push you into something you're not keen on, I was just observing that a change of mortgage doesn't actually necessitate moving from them, as implied in your OP. However, if you're looking for contactless cards and overdrafts then yes, it sounds like you need to move on - it'll be interesting to see if there's a solution that fits all of your requirements!
  • cosmicDolphin
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    B offers categorisation but is phone /tablet app based (Apple & Android) so you'd need to use the standard Clydesdale/Yorkshire website on your computer.

Not sure if it be comparable to the One Account as i never used the categorisation function on it.

Thanks, the tagging looks similar. But it says all the categories are preset ? So you can't make your own ? Will it let you tag multiple transactions at once ? Screenshot here..

https://gyazo.com/812db366a8d6407335e2b702e57d7c4f

You can make as many as you want and call them whatever you like with the One Account and you can do various reports. We tend to run a monthly Money In Vs Money Out report to see where all the money has gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure