Advents?

Saw some regulars talking about the 'advents' coming up before Christmas......what are these? x
Lucky wins - Rituals Beauty Advent Calendar; Starbucks Coffee & £20 Gift Card; Amazing Hen Weekend at Dunblane Hydro; Heat Magazine Book Bundle; Le Crueset Goodies :j

Wishing everyone some magic fairy pixie dust for luck!

Comments

• hertzyabazas
    hertzyabazas Posts: 33,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Gill247 wrote: »
    Saw some regulars talking about the 'advents' coming up before Christmas......what are these? x

At the moment, you go to bed pleased that you've cleared the board, wake up the next day and find 4 or 5 pages of comps of which you might enter 5 or 6 from each page.
    With the advents, you go to bed, wake up the next and find at least 20 pages filled with competitions which may or may not have decent prizes.
    By the time I get to work (1 hour max), there's 10 pages more by the time I sit down.
    Make a cup of coffee and have a chat with someone on the way back to my desk and by the time I'm back there's another 5 pages.
    Repeat this for most of December
    For some people, anything that resembles a normal life goes out the window come December 1
  • Gill247
    Gill247 Posts: 155 Forumite

Wow it sounds really exciting!!! Might take a few days flexi at the start of December to commit to these! lol x
    Lucky wins - Rituals Beauty Advent Calendar; Starbucks Coffee & £20 Gift Card; Amazing Hen Weekend at Dunblane Hydro; Heat Magazine Book Bundle; Le Crueset Goodies :j

• sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    :) It's exciting for about a day, then it gets a bit tiresome :)
  • Gill247
    Gill247 Posts: 155 Forumite
    At the moment, you go to bed pleased that you've cleared the board, wake up the next day and find 4 or 5 pages of comps of which you might enter 5 or 6 from each page.
    With the advents, you go to bed, wake up the next and find at least 20 pages filled with competitions which may or may not have decent prizes.
    By the time I get to work (1 hour max), there's 10 pages more by the time I sit down.
    Make a cup of coffee and have a chat with someone on the way back to my desk and by the time I'm back there's another 5 pages.
    Repeat this for most of December
    For some people, anything that resembles a normal life goes out the window come December 1

Oh gosh!! I'm just getting back into comping again and already staying up later than I usually would. No sleep in December then! :rotfl:

• BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,370 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yippee! I saw the word 'Advents'! 81 days until Christmas so that is 56 days until the Advents officially begin! Bring them on!

823734e1dd22838e752c2454a3185963.gif
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    Gill247 wrote: »
    Wow it sounds really exciting!!! Might take a few days flexi at the start of December to commit to these! lol x

I wouldn't bother, many don't have "real" prizes they are just discounts, free P&P, festive tips etc. Some of the ones with "real" prizes are not daily and/or are for a pieces of tat that even a charity shop would probably think twice about accepting and that's just based on last year which continued a steady year on year decline.

However some people get caught up in them while others struggle sorting the wheat from the chaff so it's a good time to make sure you enter all the normal competitions as entries are probably lower than usual.
  • Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    BlueBella wrote: »
    Yippee! I saw the word 'Advents'! 81 days until Christmas so that is 56 days until the Advents officially begin! Bring them on!

823734e1dd22838e752c2454a3185963.gif

My reaction too! Love Christmas time :)
    2018 wins-12wins
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    :) It's exciting for about a day, then it gets a bit tiresome :)

Snap. I start off with good intentions every year, then it just all goes out the window after a few days/maybe a week. Also pretty sure I've never won from an advent. Maybe one or two tiny things - and I've been here for 7 years!

The advents used to be fun when there were just a few pages - now it's just out of control lol.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    hazyjo wrote: »
    The advents used to be fun when there were just a few pages - now it's just out of control lol.

Jx

There were far more high value prizes then as well.

Christmas is now becoming a bit second rate (religious ties don't help in multinational markets) and the promotion budgets for some are now targeted to Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals with a bit for Halloween.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure