PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LadyCoupon wrote: »
    Didn't know you could freeze flour?

^ It's good in case of any insects in the flour too :D Though think it's just recommended to do that for 24 hours in that case.

Welcome to all the newbies :)

Cooked brown pasta (half price Ocado) with stilton, rocket, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, HG garlic, HG thyme last night.

Made cheese scones with some of the stilton, they stank the flat out cooking but didn't really taste any more cheesy than cheddar? Also came out a bit hot with the cayenne.. nice though. Had some with HG griddled asparagus.

Thinking of spring onion, HG asparagus & fennel risotto tonight.
    Unless I tackle the HG squash... have a blue cheese and rice stuffed squash recipe I was thinking of trying.
  • LadyCoupon
    LadyCoupon Posts: 718 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ewww insects in your flour, never noticed insects in my flour before.
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,910 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes I always put flour in the freezer for 48 hours then I get it out - bring it up to room temp and store in a container.
    In to freezer - nothing.
    Out of freezer - HM apple pudding + HM salmon quiche.
    We had HM casserole/dumplings + garlic bread for dinner.
    [IMG][/img]Wednesdaysdinner_zpsbeecbe37.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 231/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £42.50/£100 NSD - 72
    2024 Craft Makes - 1946 Craft Spends 2024 £289.64/£500
  • Kirri
    Had fennel & spring onion risotto (forgot to put the rocket in..)
    Followed a few hours later by popcorn with agave.
    Was going to have a slice of toast but the last slice was mouldy :(
    Still hungry!

Tomorrow night will either be:
    asparagus & rocket risotto
    brown rice stuffed pepper
    stuffed squash
    Stilton & veg pasta

Need to make bread tomorrow.
  • ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Kirri the asparagus risotto sounds nice! I might make it tomorrow lol, I have all the ingredients in!

Was really craving Asparagus so bought some yesterday.

I didn't fancy cooking today, so I had porridge with almond milk, sultanas and a bit of choc powder, lunch was a burrito from the freezer, the last one, dinner was Meatballs taken from the freezer, I froze a portion, rice from the cupboard with asparagus and steamed kale.

Dinner will be chicken wings, maybe with asparagus risotto, sounds yummy! its been a while since I made risotto.

Since I had weevils in my flour a few years ago and flo mentioned putting flour in the freezer, I have been doing this too.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • LadyCoupon
    LadyCoupon Posts: 718 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I will do this from now on folks, put the flour in the freezer for a bit. So do you do this when the pack is new, when you first buy it, put it in the freezer for 24/48 hours then it is fine?
  • I made bacon & cheese slices with ready to roll puff pastry this morning, so kids will have them tonight with homemade chips. Managed to get five slices out of it. I also took out two chicken thighs from freezer and will have them with homemade chips too. The rest of the slices can be put in the freezer & used for a quick lunch next week.

In the freezer, reduced bread items I picked up this morning.

Out of the freezer. Two chicken thighs.
    'There are far better things ahead Than any we leave behind '
  • Hi all and welcome to newcomers (from a recent newcomer I should add !:D)

I've been away for a few days so no cooking for me and came back to an empty fridge/cupboards. I've stocked up with enough food to last until Monday and will shop again then once I've done a meal plan.

So, crudites and hummus for dinner this evening I think since all my salad bits are lovely and fresh and crunchy so will make delish crudites. Makes a nice change not to be eating them once they've reached the slimy stage :rotfl:
  • Kirri
    ^ rofl at the non slimy crudites. I fancy some myself now but new salad veg box not due till tomorrow.

I attempted breadsticks today - as I was making bread anyway. Normally do 2 loaves but did 1 loaf of bread and cut the other half of the dough into breadsticks.. need to work on the size/cooking time though! Did 2 batches, cooking 1 lot for 5 mins longer but I'm still not sure they were cooked quite right either. Tasted lovely though! Will make more at the weekend.

Made 100g worth of split pea dip, had 1 lot for lunch with the hot breadsticks.

Not sure whether to cook dinner or just have more breadsticks...

I'd already eaten a few by the time I took the pic :o

[IMG][/img]2014-05-22155548_zpsfe452981.jpg
  • ^ ^ ^
    Cor, they look delicious!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills