The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

greent's mfw journey

Comments

• Absolutely. Stuff just eats your time, storing, sorting and moving it around.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Awesome declutter.

Do you feel a weight off your shoulders?
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,113
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Great efforts! You have inspired me to be ruthless with our decluttering! Will sort in to 'bin, charty shop, car boot' and what doesn't sell is NOT coming back in the house!
    Mar 2024 - part 1 - £31,656 part 2 - £25,019 Total - £56,675 44 months to go!
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,798
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Love your decluttering. Am feeling along the same lines with clutter here too. 40 bags/40 days for lent working well in our house!
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,661
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! x
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,668
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks for the birthday wishes :) I managed to not accumulate too much 'stuff' as presents, either - mainly consumables, flowers etc - so good news there! :)

More decluttering:
    294 -300. - books sold via Ziffit
    301. body jewellery - sold - ebay
    302. Glastonbury memorabilia - sold - ebay
    303. Live Aid souvenir books - sold - ebay
    304. a Homer Simpson glass - was originally a Nutella jar & now deeply scarred by dishwasher and hardly any pattern left - recycled
    305. A whole box file worth of no-longer-needed receipts, guarantees and instruction manuals - recycled
    306. Cheesegrater with a broken bit - finally binned :)
    307. Happyland toy - SOLD via facebook :)
    308. whisk (I have at least 2 others....) - bin
    309. masses of paperwork & recipes from magazines - recycled
    310. unused leather passport cover - charity shop
    311. 2 electrical things (new) not sold on ebay so off to charity shop
    312. 3 nailvarnishes - bin
    313. 6 teatowels - charity & 1 more to ragbag
    314. new and unused silicone spoon - charity
    315. fishslice (with melted edges) - bin (I have another 2...
    316. 2 baskets - charity shop
    317. Another pack (unopened) of screen protector covers for a phone....
    318. Another huge pile of recipes torn from magazines and never tried
    319. A large pile of small notebooks (unused) and part used A4 lined pads - taken to the charity I volunteer at - we're always looking for scrap paper/ paper to write on (and usually use our printer paper :()
    320. 2 part used and scrumpled rolls of sticky backed plastic - bin & 1 unopened roll - charity shop
    321. pile of crumpled and torn plastic wallets for filing - bin (massive pile still left to sort)
    322. 33 foreign/ old notes - sold - ebay
    323. magazine rack - charity shop
    324. Emotional Intelligence audiobook (on cassette tapes!) - charity shop

Alchemilla - the decluttering is certainly feeling good - it's definitely mood enhancing :)

MFW - currently on target to repay in Oct - am hopeful that I may possibly be able to shave a further month or two off this :)

Went to first Uni open day with DD on Sat - was a good experience :) At the mo she really likes Newcastle (open day in June). She's not off until Sept 2016, so we've a little bit of time ahead of us (which will fly be, I'm sure!!:eek:) I really feel for students nowadays with regards to finances. (and let's not get started on the fees inequality between England & Wales.... (although I've heard rumours that that may change)) DD is fairly switched on though - and am educating her in the ways of MSE gradually :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • So sorry for missing your birthday. I hope you had a great day and very best wishes.

Tilly x x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Impressive declutter. My 27 items on eBay effort seems minuscule now!!!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Wow, superb progress on the decluttering - and you managed to declutter another year as well :T:T:T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,798
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Amazing declutter. Am in awe. Thought I was doing well but yours v impressive.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback