Best bank account for no credit history?

2»

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 August 2017 at 8:16AM
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    They don't have a branch in Guernsey, at least not according to their website. When you search for Guernsey on the store finder, it tells you that the nearest branches are in Bournemouth or Exeter.

The link you provided wasn't a Virgin Money link, so it can't be relied on, and the so-called Virgin Money "branch" on that link is nothing but a PO box number, not a physical address. According to the Royal Mail postcode database that PO box number is now closed. So the info you provided was completely useless.

I don't actually understand your objection to my original post in this thread mainly because you haven't stated that objection. Perhaps if you will state it so I can attempt to answer it more accurately. At this point it appears to me that you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. But as I've said, you have not stated your point. Further, what do you expect to achieve?

To recap, you said that the Channel Islands is not in the U.K. and my reply to that was that I didn't say it was in the U.K. Beyond that I didn't even check on it. I have better things to do.

I'm not even going to check up on your claims in your last post either because it's not productive for this thread and is in fact off-topic. I will however go as far as saying that the postal address and telephone number of a bank branch is not always in the place where the branch is physically located: In my own case I have a branch of Natwest almost on my doorstep but it's postal address and telephone number is in a town 10 miles away.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,032
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 August 2017 at 12:24PM
    Anthorn wrote: »
    I don't actually understand your objection to my original post in this thread mainly because you haven't stated that objection.

You directed the OP to Virgin Money, which will only open accounts for people who live in the UK or the EU. The OP lives in the Channel Islands, which isn't in the UK or the EU, so what was the point of directing them to Virgin Money?

You then advised them that Virgin Money had a branch in Guernsey. They don't.
    I'm not even going to check up on your claims in your last post either because it's not productive for this thread and is in fact off-topic.

They're not claims, they're facts. Why are they off-topic? I'm showing that some information you provided is incorrect. There is no Virgin Money branch in the Channel Islands, and the postal address you found online is a closed PO box. You can easily check the facts yourself.

Virgin Money's store finder is here:

https://uk.virginmoney.com/store-finder/

The Royal Mail postcode finder is here:

http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode
    I will however go as far as saying that the postal address and telephone number of a bank branch is not always in the place where the branch is physically located:

That's true, but if you're directing someone to a branch it would be more useful to tell them where it is, not just give the postal address.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I don't actually understand your objection to my original post in this thread mainly because you haven't stated that objection. Perhaps if you will state it so I can attempt to answer it more accurately. At this point it appears to me that you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. But as I've said, you have not stated your point. Further, what do you expect to achieve?

To recap, you said that the Channel Islands is not in the U.K. and my reply to that was that I didn't say it was in the U.K. Beyond that I didn't even check on it. I have better things to do.

I'm not even going to check up on your claims in your last post either because it's not productive for this thread and is in fact off-topic. I will however go as far as saying that the postal address and telephone number of a bank branch is not always in the place where the branch is physically located: In my own case I have a branch of Natwest almost on my doorstep but it's postal address and telephone number is in a town 10 miles away.

Why didn't you also recommend an account with the Bank of Moscow?

It's about as relevant as a Virgin Money account only available to UK residents is for a non-UK resident...
    ====
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    the Bank of Moscow
    I think that would be too much t-rouble.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    I think that would be too much t-rouble.

1801096-badum_tish_super.jpg

:D
    ====
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 16 August 2017 at 9:01AM
    Could it be because Virgin Money has a branch in Guernsey? Go back to my original post and you will see that I asked, "Where in Channel Islands". :D

http://www.bankpoint.co.uk/banks/channel-islands/guernsey/virgin-money-1163113

The site you've used appears to assume that all Northern Rock branches were converted to Virgin Money whereas this doesn't appear to have been the case. It might be best not to rely on bankpoint for your arguments in future.

ETA
    In my immediate home area it lists a branch that closed 5 years ago and office that have never existed. Other branches aren't listed at all.
  • Wild_Will
    Wild_Will Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 17 August 2017 at 2:11PM
    I can only speak for Jersey, where I'm from (though not currently resident). If you have a regular income and no bad credit then pretty much any high street bank will open a bulk-standard current account for you. After maybe six months of running it responsibly, they will probably grant you a credit card.
  • BTW, Jersey has its own credit reference agencies, like TABS (Trade Advisory Bureau Services) which are more relevant to residents than the likes of Equifax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure