We Are Decking the Halls with NSDs December Challenge

Comments

• 2ym65q8.gif

Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time Nsders so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots SIZE=2]Weds mornings[/SIZE in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker SIZE=2]Friday lunch[/SIZE in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & Spoon usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
    IF YOU THINK YOU ARE SO CLEVER, THEN WHY ARE'NT YOU RICH?
    Debt = [STRIKE]21,003.22[/STRIKE] 0! :j/Car [STRIKE]4500[/STRIKE] 2875
    Savings 12k in 2013: NUMBER 093 = 1100.31/4000
    Wedding fund 1045/3500 LOL!

Crazy Clothes 2013 NO 002= 376.64/500/No MoreBooks 0/30
  • rising - sorry you had a bad day, maybe a hunky handyman can fix your shelf?

NSD 3! WHOOP 'DER IT IS, Y'ALL!
    IF YOU THINK YOU ARE SO CLEVER, THEN WHY ARE'NT YOU RICH?
    Debt = [STRIKE]21,003.22[/STRIKE] 0! :j/Car [STRIKE]4500[/STRIKE] 2875
    Savings 12k in 2013: NUMBER 093 = 1100.31/4000
    Wedding fund 1045/3500 LOL!

Crazy Clothes 2013 NO 002= 376.64/500/No MoreBooks 0/30
  • I'm debating with myself whether to buy some more thermals .... I did buy some recently but they were short sleeved, thinner ones for work (where it's a lot warmer than my house!).

I have enough extra thick (long sleeved & bottoms) to do "normally" (ie cover Sat & Sun & dog walks during the week) but being in the house all the time just now, I'm struggling to keep them washed / available to wear.

Looks like I could be stuck in the house a while yet :( so may have to buy another set :(

Yesterday wasn't one of my better ones - managed to knock my iron off the shelf in the kitchen yesterday and it smashed :mad: (my fault) and I forgot to collect a prescription from the Drs when I had to go to town for an Appt .... meaning I had to drive there again today :mad: (8 miles each way) .... *sigh* - memory is like mince just now!:o

Not doing well on the money saving front this week!

So ... no more NSDs to add yet - will try hard for one tomorrow! (and still not started the C shopping :eek: it's looking more & more likely everyone will be getting a bottle from the SM!:cool:

I really like Damart.They are of a very good quality and last well.I have one each of the no-sleeved,short-sleeved and long-sleeved thermal vests (Thermolactyl) in a thin and a thicker material,.Today I had on the thin long-sleeved one.It wasn't really that cold today,which is why I was too hot.:o

As for washing them,I wear one one day and another the next and carry on like this with the two items,until I use the washing machine (which I only have use of one afternoon a week).This way they get a chance to breathe!So I only have two thermal tops on the go at a time.I don't believe in wearing something once then washing it-apart from from socks and undies,that is.:D

Have you got any long-sleeved silk blouses-these are great at keeping you warm in the winter if worn under your jumper and are as good as thermals.

I also have a lot of cotton vests,which also are good at keeping you warm.They're not too pricey.Do you have any long-sleeved T shirts that you could wear under a jumper?

Hope you manage to stay warm.

Ps sorry about your iron.:(

I hope that tomorrow is a better day for you.:)
  • p0lly
    p0lly Posts: 134 Forumite
    Good evening all have been without computer for a while so just checking in with NSD 4 going to try and catch up on threads now love p0lly x
    JBFF # 20 NSD 12/25
    Jan Grocery budget £77 /100
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    2012-12-05191519.jpg

banana choc muffin anyone?

Have been baking as the kids were moaning we dont have any snacks, and i wont ruin my NSD target :)
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just popping in quick to declare #2 and #3 for yesterday and today!

It's been a busy couple of days with one thing and another, and I haven't even had a chance to catch up!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • sorry it's just a quick one tonight, had some bad news on the work front & just need to hide away in my bed!!

Lots of NSDs rolling in today, so well done to:

solventsoon – well done for number 3, you’re doing great!! :j:j

chris81418 - well done for number 3, you’re doing great!! :j:j

freebyfifty – well done for number 4!! :j:j
    So sorry to hear about your smash, it sounds really frightening, hope you & DD are both ok? Good news that you have a hire car sorted out & hope your headache is starting to life, please make sure you take care of yourself!

WantToBeSE - well done for number 4, you’re doing great!! :j:j

Loubell83 - well done for number 2, you’re doing great!! :j:j

lottie3000 - well done for number 2, you’re doing great!!:j:j

Fae - well done for number 4, you’re doing great!! :j:j

silvasava - well done for number 3, you’re doing great!! :j:j

liltdiddylilt - well done for number 4, you’re doing great!! :j:j

young_un – well done for number 5 & 5 in a row, that’s really impressive!! :j:j

ModestyB - well done for number 2, you’re doing great!! :j:j

abundant1972 - well done for number 4, you’re doing great!! :j:j

fedupandskint - well done for number 3, you’re doing great!! :j:j

MummyRivett - well done for number 5, you’re doing great!! :j:j

beanielou - well done for number 5, you’re doing great!! :j:j

laura16 - well done for number 2, you’re doing great!! :j:j

marmiterulesok - well done for number 4, you’re doing great!! :j:j

citizenkitten - well done for number 3, you’re doing great!! :j:j

p0lly - well done for number 4, you’re doing great!! :j:j

flubberyzing – well done for numbers 2 & 3, you’re doing great!! :j:j

& 2 more for me, so that's number 4 please :j:j
    February NSD challenge 5/15
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Bdini - whatever it is, you will be better placed to deal with it after a good night's sleep. Get to bed now with a hot drink, some essential oils (lavender and valerian are very calming for bedtime) and a good book, read for half an hour or so then lights out and no worrying! Think beautiful thoughts! Tomorrow is, as they say, another day.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,820
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Bdini~Hope that you can manage to sleep ok.
    Take care xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Number 3 today :) but that's it now until at least Sunday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure