Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 21st Feb 14, 6:56 PM
    • 1,444Posts
    • 3,417Thanks
    ani*fan
    Tales from the city
    • 21st Feb 14, 6:56 PM
    Tales from the city 21st Feb 14 at 6:56 PM
    Hi there

How is everyone? All good I hope. I had a diary on here for a few years called Tales from a Country Cottage. I won't bother with a link, it really wasn't exciting, but I do remember the wonderful support you lovely people offered me, and the joys of matched betting, mystery shopping, online free bingo (that was a good one) and various other strategies for making cash. All good stuff.

I have since moved to the city, hence the new diary and its new name. This feels very much like a fresh start and my goodness, I need one.

I was previously determined to clear my debt and at times actually managed to make it go down. Then life happened, threatened redundancy, separation from ex- OH, a house move, and then another one, then an application to do a PhD and various other expensive things that meant I took my eye off the ball.

And boy, did I...

My debt is now eye- watering and bigger than it has ever been in my life. I'm scared that I won't make ends meet every month and I have managed to max out 2 credit card in the last 6 months. I am constantly worried that something will go wrong with my car and not only do I have no money to get it fixed, I have no credit either.

Things are desperate, more so than they have been in years. I have moved to one of the most expensive places in Britain (not my choice, it was where I was offered a training post, 15 for fish and chips...really??) and am currently in a panic that I may need to give up my PhD and move back home. My debt repayments every month are massive and sometimes I can't cope with checking my accounts online.

So I was sat here feeling helpless and depressed and wondering what on earth I was going to do. Then I remembered this place. And suddenly I'm all inspired again.

Maybe, just maybe, there's a chance I can sort this out.

I know what needs to be done. I have to sort out my spending, I have to cut back on everything, I have to find ways to make extra cash, I have to seek out freebies, I have to find ways to live cheaply and most importantly I need to PAY OFF THE DEBT.

I can do it. And you are all my inspiration.

Thank you so much for reading and if you want to drop by and share your thoughts, feel free.

Time to get started!

a*f

If you know you have enough, you're rich.
Page 43
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 7th May 17, 4:17 PM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 9,261 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    So close to sub-8k!
    MFW: Dec '13 197,100 / Dec '14 180,691 / Dec '15 161,669 / Dec '16 119,669 / May '17 105,084.91 (6,000 offset)
    Payment 40/84 / 2017 MFW #56: 14,583/20,000 72% / MFiT-T4 #15: 54,415/90,000 60%
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 8th May 17, 5:48 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    ani*fan
    So close to sub-8k!
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    My regular monthly payments are 175 so if I can manage to overpay 116 next month then it'll go under 8k.

That's a mini challenge right there.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 9th May 17, 6:05 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Everything got done and dusted concerning the new mortgage yesterday. The conveyancer fees are paid, everything's paid, proof of buildings insurance sent, we're good to go. Nothing left to do but wait for moving in day.

Oh yeah, and pack. OH is going for it big time and has a few boxes ready to go. Neither of us has much stuff due to our big declutter at the start of the year so that's great. I'm going to get my assignment finished early so I can pack my books and folders which will be good, I'm a bit bored looking at it now.

I've had so much on lately I almost forgot my mum's birthday is coming up. Much as I'd like to visit her, there's no time right now and little money for a visit. It'll need to be gift in the post and a phone call. I'm sure she'll understand.

Wedding plans have been on the back burner given everything that's been happening. We'll revive this at the start of July when my course is done and we're safely in our new flat. There's so much to do still, I have lists upon lists upon lists, but it's all moving forward nicely. And I have such a feeling of calm contentedness today, that everything's happening as it should, and it's all going to be amazing.

Happy debt busting everyone.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 9th May 17, 8:40 AM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 23,754 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Things sound like they are really coming together. I'm so pleased for you.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 82,874.20, target 75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today 3,415.43 target 5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund 5.5k & 200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 9th May 17, 10:01 AM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 9,261 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    ^ what INOD said. Such a brilliant result so quickly.
    MFW: Dec '13 197,100 / Dec '14 180,691 / Dec '15 161,669 / Dec '16 119,669 / May '17 105,084.91 (6,000 offset)
    Payment 40/84 / 2017 MFW #56: 14,583/20,000 72% / MFiT-T4 #15: 54,415/90,000 60%
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 10th May 17, 4:49 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Thanks. It has all gone very smoothly. I'm signed up to the 'waiting to exchange' thread and can't quite believe the hoops people have to jump through to get into their new houses, and the waiting. I'm feeling very fortunate ours has been so hassle- free.

Nothing much to report on the debt busting front. I haven't had the work car at all this week and have been walking everywhere. My legs are killing me already but I'm determined not to take a bus. Sometimes being stubborn is helpful.

I have a day of assignment writing ahead of me and since I'm wake so early, I might as well crack on with it.

Have a great day everyone.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 24th May 17, 6:01 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    ani*fan
    We're in! And today the wifi is working so I'm back. Everything went fairly smoothly during the move, nothing got lost or broken apart from my hairbrush but I can buy another one. The kitties are settling fine, as are we, and it's amazing to be in our own home. It's so much better in here than I even remembered.

We've had a few quotes for windows, ranging from the affordable and expected (8k - ish) to the truly ridiculous (20k to window and door a 2 bed flat? Really? Financed over 9 YEARS!?) Even the more sincere salesmen, not the pushy idiots, are trying to sell us longer term finance with interest rather than the shorter term interest free type. Do people just truly not understand about money? Apparently not. We're taking our time, getting lots of quotes and figuring out the finances as we go. As yet we're undecided but I have no intention of us paying any interest at all.

There are so many things to do in here we just can't sit still. We're going to need a good plan, and my eye is constantly on the finances to get things done as cheaply as we possibly can. It's great fun all this.

In the meantime I still have work to go to and other things to get done. This is very difficult when all I want to do is diy.

Have a great money saving day everyone.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 24th May 17, 7:24 AM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 23,754 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Happy new home. May it be filled with joy, love and laughter.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 82,874.20, target 75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today 3,415.43 target 5,500 by 31/12/17
    Progress not perfection.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 24th May 17, 7:26 AM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 15,149 Thanks
    misstara
    Happy to hear everything went smoothly with the move
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 190.42 (98.2% paid)
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 1758.22 (23.6% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 7/12. Groceries target 147.84/150. NSD target 15/16.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 25th May 17, 6:25 PM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 26,695 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Happy new home x
    NST May #13 NSD 7/16 RYSAW17 #1 412.74 20p Savers #88 1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 27th May 17, 2:24 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Happy new home. May it be filled with joy, love and laughter.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    This is just lovely inod, thank you so much.

Happy to hear everything went smoothly with the move
    Originally posted by misstara
    The potential for disaster is great with a house move eh? But this one all worked out fine.

Happy new home x
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Thanks CCL!

We've been removing old yucky carpets and doing a quick coat of paint in essential places to make the flat more liveable. The cats are walking around permanently covered in dust, they don't seem to mind yet but I'm a bit concerned about them. They just love the garden though, the kitten has never seen anything like it.

We've had an even better quote for windows and doors, 6.5k, so we're off to look at some showrooms this weekend before making a decision. I've also applied for a 0% spends CC to give us some finance options. Fingers crossed. This will be the most expensive purchase for the flat by a long way. We need to do it right.

I hope everyone is well and debt busting like crazy.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 29th May 17, 4:22 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    ani*fan
    It's been a busy weekend but most of it free stuff, so that's good.

The dust got a bit much for OH this weekend and a frenzied cleaning session took place, scrubbing floor boards and washing windows. It feels much better in here now and the cats are less dusty so that's good.

I had another look at the windows after scrubbing them for hours and thought maybe we should keep them and have them repaired. They're sash and case windows and very pretty although not in good condition. However, after thinking about heat and security (they're single glazed) we decided that long term, new ones would be better, financially and environmentally. We went to look at one of the window showrooms and now have our heart's set on Georgian bars at the front, to mimic the look we have now, although this will be an added expense for not much immediate return. Anyone used to watch Sarah Beeny? I can imagine her telling us how much value we will add long term by getting the Georgian bars but short term, a bit sore on the finances. We're still mulling it all over, I don't want to rush into anything, windows are the second biggest expense after buying the flat.

I got a badly needed haircut. It was great to get away from all the DIY and hang out with my almost sil. While I was away, OH tackled the front garden and worked a miracle so I helped out when I got back.

On Saturday night I'm ashamed to say we went to our local pub for a bite to eat and a cider, then fell into bed exhausted. We were back to cooking proper mse meals last night. Part of this was because we just found out our first mortgage payment, which was going to be a biggie due to interest for this month and next payable at once, is 300 less than initially quoted. So a small mse score there and it can get put in the renovation pot (minus some pub grub ).

The exhilaration of being in the flat is wearing off now and we're taking a proper hard look at what needs done. Every single wall needs sorting, they're all covered in lumps and bumps and weird diy mistakes.The skirtings are a shambled mishmash of different bits of wood. The cornicing has chunks out of it. A few plug sockets are hanging out the walls. It's hard to know where to start but...it will be beautiful in here. It will.

Happy debt busting day everyone. And if anyone has advice or thoughts about windows, I'm all ears.
    • LuxuryWoman
    • By LuxuryWoman 29th May 17, 11:06 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    LuxuryWoman
    Hiya, just stumbled on your diary and I'm enjoying reading along. Well done on all you've achieved.

May I ask though why you are planning to use a company with expensive overheads (salesman, showrooms) for your windows? I ask, because I have always used local firms and to give an idea I recently paid 1750 for 5 windows including a bay (replacing my old sashes) I would never, ever use a big company tbh (used to work for Angl^^n - the horror!)
    Why not look around for a small firm?

I shall carry on reading your diary as I am nosey and love to read about other peoples houses!
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 29th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 23,754 Thanks
    in need of direction
    start with the electrics, it's both a safety issue and something that needs to happen before you tackle the walls, skirtings, etc. BTW, i always use a local electrician who lives nearby. not only do i know and trust him, he lives in a similar old house so knows where the fragile bits are
    Progress not perfection.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,926Posts Today

7,914Users online

Martin's Twitter