Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lonestarfan
    • By lonestarfan 20th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 1,158Posts
    • 304Thanks
    lonestarfan
    Can I get Windows 7 free to replace vista
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    Can I get Windows 7 free to replace vista 20th Mar 17 at 9:04 PM
    Grandmas PC currently has vista on it. I ran the Windows update advisor and it says e PC is suitable for Windows 7 32 bit home premium but when I follow the link it goes to Microsoft page about Windows 10.
    Am I able to get windows 7 free and if so how do I get it and how do I get a product key.
    Thanks
Page 2
    • lonestarfan
    • By lonestarfan 3rd Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    lonestarfan
    There is both good and bad news.

It's possible, though not without risk.

That's the good news

The bad news is that it will need to be a clean install, so something will need to be done with the 90 GB of data stored on the hard drive.

Anyway, you can worry about that later.

The first step would be to find an empty USB flash drive and make it 'bootable'.

Take the empty USB Flash Drive(size not that important, though small capacity is good), plug it in, then download and run Rufus and use these settings:

No reason to touch Cluster Size or Volume Label and you may prefer to use MS-DOS instead of FreeDOS.

Click Start and let Rufus do it's thing.

Once complete, click here to download and save the three files needed for the firmware update.

Download and save and then drag/send/copy the contents of the folder(the three files within, not the folder itself) on to your newly bootable USB flash drive..
    Once done, choose to make the USB flash drive the drive from which the desktop boots. You do that by pressing the F12 key soon after you press the power button or as soon as the machine begins to restart.
    Once you have done that and boot on to the USB Flash drive, it will begin the BIOS update. Let it do it's thing.
    Once complete, reboot if necessary.
    It could all go horribly wrong, but hey ho, it's an old machine.

Once that is done, we'll deal with the installation of Windows 7.
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    Haven't had chance to do this yet. Will go over on weekend to work on it. I've bought USB stick. Am I able to make the USB stick "bootable" on my own PC (Lenovo Windows 10) so it's ready for when I go over or must I do it on her computer? Just thinking of trying to save time and be prepared before I get there as can't stay all weekend this time. Thanks.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 3rd Apr 17, 9:46 PM
    • 8,070 Posts
    • 6,104 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Haven't had chance to do this yet. Will go over on weekend to work on it. I've bought USB stick. Am I able to make the USB stick "bootable" on my own PC (Lenovo Windows 10) so it's ready for when I go over or must I do it on her computer? Just thinking of trying to save time and be prepared before I get there as can't stay all weekend this time. Thanks.
    Originally posted by lonestarfan
    Yes you can , ND's instructions need to be followed before you go , unless you take your machine with you.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 4th Apr 17, 10:52 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,378 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Originally posted by lonestarfan
    You should prepare everything in advance, including the creation of the installation media from here: http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows/dell-windows-7-64-bit-psp2-reinstallation-isos-april-2016-media-refresh/
    But it appears that you have just one spare USB Flash drive.

I have supplied an alternative via PM that can be created with a DVD if you have one of those spare. If you don't have a DVD writer at home, you can at least download it and then drag it on to your newly created USB drive for firmware flashing. When you get there, you can move just the image to her PC for creating installation media later and then continue to flash the BIOS.

Do you have a plan to deal with her data?
    • toshi
    • By toshi 14th Apr 17, 10:42 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    toshi
    LinuxMint 18 = Free User Friendly OS (supported until 4.2021)
    This is the money saving site, so you may want to try Free and Open-source OS LinuxMint 18 MATE, which has been developed by the community at free of charge.

You can use LibreOffice, Firefox, Chrome, VLC player etc.

I have helped to setup LinuxMint for an old couple (both are around 80 years old) They are very happy to use LinuxMint.

I would also point out that LinuxMint is actually maintenance friendly, you don't have to worry about virus infection, Windows update nightmare etc. You can safely use internet banking etc.

LinuxMint is Windows XP/VISTA/7 user friendly, as it uses a traditional user interface. (I Know not many love Windows 8/10 user interface.)

https://linuxmint.com/

https://linuxmint.com/documentation.php

There are various different LinuxMint desktops, MATE desktop is good for older hardware. LinuxMint18 will be supported until 4. 2021.

Happy computing
    Last edited by toshi; 18-04-2017 at 11:48 PM. Reason: minor correction
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,926Posts Today

7,914Users online

Martin's Twitter