Naked wines - watch your bank account

Options

Comments

• grumpychops_2
    Options
    SandC wrote: »
    I've recently joined Naked Wines and I'm more than happy with them. My £40 voucher was for wine spend of £79.99 or over which is the norm. Originally I had chosen 6 bottles of a single wine that I liked the sound of and there didn't seem to be a problem with that. In the end I actually did change my mind and order a full case of 12 in a preformed case which appealed to me.

Are you absolutely sure your voucher restricted your choices?

Since a lot of the posts here they have simplified the joining of Angels and there are two big boxes before you go to pay where you select whether you do or do not want to join. I decided to, because you can get your money back any time, you get cashback each order and the biggie - another £40 off straight into my account.

It's not a scam. I have looked at other wine offers with Virgin and Laithwaites and this is the one I chose to use a voucher for as I could see myself using them again because of their ongoing offers.

I chose not to join the angels ...but on looking at my credit card bill this month, they've taken £20 off.
    I am usually very careful to read the small print and I don't recall ever having agreed to pay £20 a month.
    I used the £40 voucher to buy a recommended 6 bottle case in December. So far I've only tried one of the bottles ....and have been unimpressed. I accept many people are happy with the wines and with the service but I'd want to make sure I liked the wines on offer before agreeing to buy more from them. I am pleased I check my credit card statement in detail though. I have cancelled my membership. The website was at pains to point out that I had agreed to this regular payment. I am quite sure I did not.....
  • brightonman123
    Options
    sneaky way to boost reviews (= 'popularity' ?) of under-selling wines, methinks..?
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    Very dodgy way of doing business, the sign up to the monthly club and £20 fee/investment is not clear at all. I am very experienced in web purchases and was caught.
    Of course it is possible to cancel and I have done but it does not bode well for this company that they need to behave in such an underhanded manner.
  • sekrapa
    sekrapa Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had a voucher a few weeks before Christmas for £40 off any case £59.99 or more. I ordered a 6 case selection for £60 and with postage, paid a total of £25 for 6 good quality wines. I saw the box and read the terms and decided not to become a member for £20 a month as I only wanted the wines for Christmas. They came very quickly, great communication. I got a telephone call from them in early January asking if I wanted to become an Angel and pay a monthly fee to get extra discounts. I told them I do not drink that quick and declined.

Before placing any orders, read the terms and conditions. Look at what you are clicking and what boxes you are checking. It did clearly state when I ordered that you can tick the box to be a member, which I declined. By placing an order with a company you are agreeing to their terms and conditions of sale, so please read them before you click the BUY button.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    Very dodgy way of doing business, the sign up to the monthly club and £20 fee/investment is not clear at all. I am very experienced in web purchases and was caught.
    Of course it is possible to cancel and I have done but it does not bode well for this company that they need to behave in such an underhanded manner.

It says it on the front page about becoming an 'angel'. The exact text is

"You squirrel away £20 a month into your account, yours to spend on ANY of our wines whenever you want!
    And don't worry, you can cancel and get your money back at any time."

If you choose not to read this, it's not their fault. It is yours. It's not 'hidden away', it's not 'not clear' and it's not 'dodgy'.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2012 at 1:38PM
    Options
    vuvuzela wrote: »
    Foolishness, plain and simple. Not a scam, not dodgy, just people thinking they are getting a bargain and not looking carefully what they are agreeing to.

vuvuzela - but you have hit the nail on the head. The voucher is specifically designed to make people believe they actually ARE getting a bargain!

Foolishness? No. That is unfair to the many visually impaired, and those who cannot read or comprehend T&C's very well.

These schemes are deliberately designed to catch out the unwary. I would be quite happy if the information regarding the monthly fee was written in the same size font as the £40 discount that is indicated on the voucher.

Why should someone have to "look carefully"? That implies that something is indeed hidden or not as transparent as it should be.

No wonder they are called 'Angels' - I would call someone an angel if they 'squirreled away' twenty quid a month into my bank account to enable my cash flow to be more liquid!
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Options
    It says it on the front page about becoming an 'angel'. The exact text is

"You squirrel away £20 a month into your account, yours to spend on ANY of our wines whenever you want!
    And don't worry, you can cancel and get your money back at any time."

If you choose not to read this, it's not their fault. It is yours. It's not 'hidden away', it's not 'not clear' and it's not 'dodgy'.

Why would I read the front page when at the last page of checkout? the infomation should be there at the point they "sign you up" and it should be clear and concise
    "you squirrel away" is non sense, but if anything suggests that I would be taking a proactive role in sending these funds and does not mention what method, it should state how the money is to be taken and at what date. I DID NOT give any one permssion to take funds from my card.

Clearly going by the HUGE amount of complaints on other sites their sign up is not clear at all and VERY dodgy.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    Why would I read the front page when at the last page of checkout? the infomation should be there at the point they "sign you up" and it should be clear and concise.

The info is on the front page of the website and in their T&Cs. Anyone saying it is hidden is incorrect, IMO.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    edited 15 February 2012 at 4:33PM
    Options
    The info is on the front page of the website and in their T&Cs. Anyone saying it is hidden is incorrect, IMO.

Well if it is not at the point of sign up then it clearly IS hidden it is NOT on the front page of the website it is on another page altogether LINKED from the front page.
    Your suggestion that the hidden phrase " YOU squirrel away £20" is clear and means he same as "WE WILL TAKE £20 from the payment method you provided here once a month" is non sense.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Options
    It seems the Advertising standards agency agrees with everyone that has been caught out, and has recently found that Naked Wines used misleading advertising and has banned the shoddy practice that caught me out:

http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2012/01/naked-wines-ad-banned/

Stay well clear.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport