Finding weight loss very hard :(

Please help
Is there somewhere where you can meet people but can weigh yourself privately?
I hate this public weighing obsession even if it is just in front of the Group Leader!!
I am too ashamed to weigh myself currently, never mind have a stranger be involved!!!
Since the Menopause I have gone up 3 to 4 clothes sizes and would like to get to grips with it now I am 50.
It is very depressing.
I started peri menopausal when I was 41 but I have been properly post menopausal for 3 years now.
I am very depressed about this.

Comments

• springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    edited 6 June 2017 at 8:13PM
    I am not aware of anywhere that offers the type of service you are looking for.

Have you spoken to your GP? Sometimes GP surgeries offer weight loss clinics. But you wouldn't get the support of a group through a clinic. They would simply weigh you and perhaps provide guidance on diet.

Another alternative would be to join one of the usual groups - Weight Watchers or Slimming World, and just go for the group support but tell the leader you are not comfortable yet with being weighed.

Note that when you are weighed in these type of groups your weight stays between you and the group leader. Others cannot see the scales, and you are not obliged to share your weight with others within the group.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Note that when you are weighed in these type of groups your weight stays between you and the group leader. Others cannot see the scales, and you are not obliged to share your weight with others within the group.

Exactly. I think all the mainstream slimming companies know public weigh-ins freak people out. I used to go to WeightWatchers and if you reached a milestone the leader would always ask if you wanted it to be mentioned to the class or not.
  • emilybc
    emilybc Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi Tanyab,

Sorry to hear you are feeling depressed. Although I can't be much help regarding a group, there is a website called Minimins which is a big community of people trying to lose weight, with advice on different diets and methods.

Everyone there is very supportive and it might be a good place for you to go for help and somewhere to chat about weight loss. There might even be advice about weight around the menopause, specifically.

Take care and hope you feel better soon
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Have you tried myfitnesspal? you can weigh yourself privately but there is a large support community if you do want to talk about it.
  • tanyab
    tanyab Posts: 47 Forumite
    I will look into that thanks
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I started Michael Mosley's Intermittent Fasting, the 5:2 Diet in April 2016.

DD had bought me the book, so we both used the recipes to follow it. There is also a website with forums and people who are very helpful and encouraging.

It took me until September to reach target, with a holiday in the middle. I've since lost another 1/2 st, 2 st in total. OH has list 3 st.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I used to do the weighing at a slimming club and we had several people who didn't want to know what their actual weight was. They just wanted to know how many pounds up or down they were.

Suggestions above are very good. Good luck :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Could you separate the meeting people and weight loss parts? Weigh yourself at home, and meet people through a walking group or a low impact exercise class? Aquarobics is popular amongst ladies on a weight loss journey.

For the weight loss, set yourself small targets. I had a lot to lose when I started out and it was overwhelming. Breaking it down to half a stone at a time makes it far less daunting, and even after your first half stone you'll see quite a difference.

Good luck!
  • Let's go to basic doing proper diet and exercise.
  • tanyab
    tanyab Posts: 47 Forumite
    Thanks
    Anything to do with water is out but I might try a low impact class
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business