BEDBUGS - steamer ?

any recommendations for steamers to get rid of bedbugs?
also -what's the position for claiming costs etc on travel insurance?

son and friend have returned from few days in Berlin with bedbugs. I was on alert as they'd complained of bites and itches. They bought antihistamine ointment. I spotted a beastie crawling out of their luggage.
I've contacted the Council, who insist on evidence, before discussing any action, then it's a question of joining a queue.
We've now contained all their stuff in bin bags, but they'd been around the house before, so it might be contaminated.
Suitcase has been thrown away, as apparently it's the most likely source.
clothes have to be washed at 60degrees - this will ruin some of the clothes.
coats will have to go to drycleaners etc.
Not sure what to do about shoes?
thank you
2mcugjc.png

Comments

• DavidFx
    DavidFx Posts: 247
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you don't want to or cannot wash things then put them into a plastic bag and put in the freezer for 4 days.
    https://www.bedbugs.umn.edu/bed-bug-control-in-residences/freezing
  • thanks for pointing out this excellent impartial source. https://www.bedbugs.umn.edu/bed-bug-control-in-residences/steamers
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    blueorchid wrote: »
    coats will have to go to drycleaners etc.

Please do not do this as you might cause an outbreak at the dry cleaners.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    I have heard that borax is very effective to dispell them. We cant get it here now but there is a borax substitute which might be worth a try on things that cannot be made wet.
    I think you dust it on,leave it then vacuum or sweep it off.
  • Forgive me - I know this is too late for you now - my husband travels abroad a lot for work and whenever he comes home, I insist that he unpacks his suitcase in his study, and NOT in our bedroom. So, anything he brings home (yuck) is contained in a room we don't sleep in. We've been lucky so far, but you've reminded us all of the need to be on alert. I'd have expected this if they'd come home from a developing country but not Berlin!

(And please do report the place they stayed at to the Berlin Tourist Board - and how about a warning post on TripAdvisor??)

Good luck.
  • SuzieSue
    Forumite
    Corona wrote: »
    Forgive me - I know this is too late for you now - my husband travels abroad a lot for work and whenever he comes home, I insist that he unpacks his suitcase in his study, and NOT in our bedroom. So, anything he brings home (yuck) is contained in a room we don't sleep in.

But if you have bed bugs in your house, it doesn't matter which room they are in, you will still need to get rid of them. You are less likely to notice them in a study, so the infestation would become much harder to treat.

I always check for bed bugs whenever I sleep away from home. You need to know what to look for.
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Suziesue I'm glad that I'm not the only one who does this, DH thinks I am mad but the first thing I do in either a rented property or hotel etc is to lift all the bedding and investigate the mattress thoroughly.
    Fibro-Warrior
  • SuzieSue
    Forumite
    Suziesue I'm glad that I'm not the only one who does this, DH thinks I am mad but the first thing I do in either a rented property or hotel etc is to lift all the bedding and investigate the mattress thoroughly.

Yes, my DH thinks I am mad too. He gets really worried if we are in the company of other people and someone mentions bedbugs as he knows I will go on and on about them. He thinks I am obsessed by them and I think I am to a certain extent but prevention is better than cure.
  • Bed bug eradication seems to be a huge job. Agree posters above that voidance is best bet. we opened their case on plastic in the hall, and on spotting the bug, bagged everything. We are now awaiting a response from the council, but anticipate having the house sprayed twice.
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,962
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    A 60 degree wash will kill all bed bugs and eggs. There is no need to wash "clean" clothing if you don't want to and have a tumble drier. Just tumble dry on the hottest setting for at least 30 minutes and this kills everything.

They love wood and fabric and will hide in tiny crevices. They don't like plastic and metal. It's important to hoover along the edges of carpets regularly and it's a good idea to use a hand-held steamer in these areas also to kill them off/keep them at bay.

We've had them twice in the last year due to regularly using public transport (ever since not having a car). Apparently this is one of the most popular ways of bringing them into your home. I get bitten really badly, but my husband doesn't (or he doesn't get a reaction). It's made me paranoid we'll get them again ...
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family