N&P Closed my account!

I've done a partial switch to my new account.

However I went to check my N&P account to see if I owe them money or they owe me money, shock horror the account is closed!

Now I didn't want this for 1 major reason.

I am working abroad for a while this year, so wanted the free overseas function while I still could. Also I wanted to make sure everything HAD actually transferred over before I go abroad next week!

Great, so now if there are any problems, I'm not in the UK to sort them out! I don't use internet banking for my own personal reasons, of having my account data breached once before while abroad, and the nightmare of sorting it out is something I don't want to repeat ever again... (once bitten twice shy!)

Thanks YBS and N&P!:mad:

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    What is a"partial switch" ? Did you use the switching service ?
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    molerat wrote: »
    What is a"partial switch" ? Did you use the switching service ?

N&P do not partake in the switching service.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you take the relevant measures you shouldnt get a data breach.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Dalavich wrote: »
    I've done a partial switch to my new account.

However I went to check my N&P account to see if I owe them money or they owe me money, shock horror the account is closed!

Now I didn't want this for 1 major reason....

What you wanted doesn't matter, I'm sorry to say.

The Norwich and Peterborough brand (I assume that's who you mean) is being closed down and YBS have made the decision to close all their current accounts.

http://www.nandp.co.uk/current-account/

All accounts are to close by 31 August.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38746450
    blindman wrote: »
    N&P do not partake in the switching service.

They have not signed up to CASS. They say they do it manually, and can do it within 12 days.

Our switching teams will work closely with ALL providers, who have been extremely co-operative and supportive. You can choose ANY new provider and have confidence that you can switch your N&P current account.

http://www.nandp.co.uk/existing-customers/current-account/

I'm just not sure what a "partial switch" entails. I'd have thought that an account switch was pretty much binary.
  • Dalavich
    Dalavich Posts: 40 Forumite
    Yes you're right, N&P aren't part of CASS. So I had to do a manual switch with my new provider, it's taken 8 weeks.

But I asked for a partial transfer, which meant the account should've been left open.

Yes they're closing them by the 31st August, but that meant that at least for a little while I could enjoy free use abroad still.

And I checked the account tonight so I could transfer money (pop a cheque in their secure mail box) in ready to go abroad tomorrow, but I find my account is gone when I inserted the card. Which is also a pain, as I don't know now if the account was in credit/debit when they closed it this week.
  • Hazzanet
    Hazzanet Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 18 April 2017 at 11:30AM
    antrobus wrote: »
    I'm just not sure what a "partial switch" entails. I'd have thought that an account switch was pretty much binary.

A partial switch is what it says, it switches part of the account - i.e. the payments out only. The old account remains open unless you specifically instruct to close it at the end. This is Nationwide's take on it:
    Another way to transfer your account

If you’d like to keep your old account open and manage your balance transfer, then maybe a partial switch is the answer for you.
    • All your Direct Debits and regular payments will be set
      up for you.
    • This service can take up to 20 working days to complete but we can keep you informed by text or e-mail throughout - all we need is your mobile number or e-mail address.
    • You’ll need to arrange for any payments going into your account such as your salary or pension to be transferred.
    • You’ll need to keep money in both your old and new account to cover any payments as this service does not offer automatic redirection.
    • You’ll need to contact any companies that haven’t updated their records so future payments are taken from your Nationwide current account.
    This service is not covered by the Current Account Switch Guarantee or the Current Account Switch Agreement as it is a separate service offered by Nationwide.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You could try complaining to them, but I doubt they'd be interested and you're unlikely to get anything other than a "sorry" from them. They want you gone ASAP, so the fact that they've chucked you out earlier than you wanted won't be of any interest to them.
  • Dalavich
    Dalavich Posts: 40 Forumite
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    You could try complaining to them, but I doubt they'd be interested and you're unlikely to get anything other than a "sorry" from them. They want you gone ASAP, so the fact that they've chucked you out earlier than you wanted won't be of any interest to them.

This is where is gets interesting. I received three letters from them today, informing me my account was closed and as it was overdrawn (not much) they've charged me an unauthorised overdraft fee plus a high interest rate and want it settled by 20th April.

The whole point of asking it to be left open was to clear any monies without being unauthorised.

Anyway they've confirmed it was closed in error and they're seeing what they can do about the charges and calling me back some point. Well they'll have to wait until payday, again the whole point of a partial transfer at this point!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure