MSE News: Apple's new way to spread the cost of an iPhone 7 for zero interest

Comments

• I saw this on the Apple website & thought it looked good, new iPhone on 0% finance over 20 months, that would be great.
    Then I saw the catch, AppleCare insurance at £119 pa is included in the cost, fine if you want it, but the 0% isn't available without it as far as I can see.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    lee111s wrote: »
    It makes more sense to get it on "interest free" with Apple and keep the money in the bank earning interest. That's MSE.
    My last iPhone was a 32GB 5s FOR £330. And I got £70 for the old 4s after eBay fees to put towards it. Deals like that don't come with 0% interest. Hence my scepticism about this finance deal.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Was your 5s second hand ? Or where did u get it ?
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    buglawton wrote: »
    Temptation to buy an overpriced luxury, not very MSE.
    The advice is how to most effectively buy an item you wish to, rather than whether or not you should be allowed to consider it, and that is why it is a valid MSE topic.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    So this is almost like PCP for an iPhone, where you can either trade in to start a new plan part-way through or see it out and own it at the end (though there's no bubble payment).

Reading through the deal, you get AppleCare included in the 0% interest, so that makes it an attractive option.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out; my current 24-month deal runs to next March or so, so I'll be keeping an eye out.

(However whether the iPhone 7 is a goer for me depends upon it taking a wired headset, because (a) I have some very good earplugs, (b) I don't want rechargeables conking out part way through a call because I've been listening to music or I forgot to charge them and (c) not being attached to anything makes the earplugs very easy to lose.)
  • buglawton
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Was your 5s second hand ? Or where did u get it ?
    Should've mentioned it was new and unlocked from Giffgaff, good deals do pop up from time to time for the patient cash buyer.
  • buglawton
    prowla wrote: »
    The advice is how to most effectively buy an item you wish to, rather than whether or not you should be allowed to consider it, and that is why it is a valid MSE topic.
    You did see the catch in post #12 then?
  • AndyPK
    Does that mean you have to pay an additional £119 ?

I was confused by your words "included in the cost"
  • buglawton
    I had a quick look at the MSE description of the deal and it's confusing. Perhaps ianscomputer can explain. Anyway I see the deal's being picked to pieces in the comments below the MSE article.
    I hope people never assume, 'because it's on MSE, it's a deal'.
  • AndyPK
    Yes the upgrade program doesn't sound good.

But if the other program is simply interest free, then I'm sure some people will find it useful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure